RotoMetals2ADvertise hereWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox

Thread: Your 38 Special snub nose training loads

Boolit Buddy

Your 38 Special snub nose training loads

For my 38 Special snub nose training protocol, I shoot 50 rounds of either Remington 38 Spl 158 gr LRN or 3.5 grs of BE using 158 gr Speer SWC or LRN at silhouette paper target at 10 yds. Then I shoot two cylinders full (five shot) with reloaded duplicates of the +P FBI load using Speer 158 gr LSWCHP. I complete the process with ten rounds of Remington UMC 125 gr SJHP 38 Spl +P (yes, helps remove any slight leading). All firing is done in double action mode only using a grip which Jerry Miculek recommends for Airweight J frames.

How do you train with your snub nose and what ammo do you prefer with your training?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Correct .38 Special loads should not lead. It helps to overcoat the Speer lead bullets with a light film of Lee Liquid Alox or LSStuff 45-45-10 on top of what is already there if you will load them up to +P.

Unless you plan on carrying 125-grain +P factory loads I don't see any point in practicing with different bullet weights. Stick to what load shoots to the sights.

In my Airweight J-frames I use full charge wadcutter ammo with the Remington HBWC component bullet and 3.2 grains of Bullseye or the Saeco #348 146-grain DEWC with 3.5 grains of Bullseye.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-06-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I do a lot of my practice with wadcutter loads and also the carry load. For some one new to the small light j frames and other snubbies I start them out working with them with wax bullets. These don't scare them with recoil blast and flash. Depending on the person it may be 100-300 rds of these at first. Another plus to this load is we can work in the garage or basement as there is little noise and a heavy back stop isn't needed.
    I fire both double and single action ( when single action is available) but my snubbies may be called on to dispatch problem animals also at longer ranges just because they are whats available at the moment.