MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Bought a H&R trapdoor carbine today!

Boolit Master

Bought a H&R trapdoor carbine today!

I was a at a local gunshop today, when a guy came in wanting to sell the H&R trapdoor. The owner passed on it, referred the guy to me, said I was the 45/70 nut in the bunch. We went outside to look at his rifle. He said it was his dads, who recently passed away, and he was selling off some of his guns to help his mom out. He also said his dad had never fired it. I looked a the barrel, breech block, firing pin, if it had been fired it was only a time or two. This was marked in gold lettering on the breech, Little Bighorn. All the furniture has beautiful case coloring, as did the lock and breech block. The barrel bluing was perfect, and the bore looked brand new. It had a Vernier sight on the tang, that was case hardened also. It is adjustable up and down, by screwing the arpeture back and then moving the slide up and down as needed. It also, has a piece of steel, that had been casehardened, screwed to the bottom of the stock, to provide a handstop/pistol grip of types. This model appears to be between the one I posted on here about recently, that had a marbles flip up rear sight on the barrel, and all the metal work blued, including the breech block, and the officers model. Now for the negatives, on the bottom of the stock was two dings, old ones. He said his dad dropped it one day, and broke a glass top coffee table. It had two gouges, about 1/2 long one right below the other. That was it, no other negatives. I asked him what he wanted for it, He said $500 and he would throw in the soft case. I did not even haggle, paid the guy and he left. I will shoot it in a day or two. This may be a keeper. I can send pics if anyone can post them here.

Congratulations! Sounds like a nice piece. May it serve you better than it did Custer!

Congrats !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

You've got a 'Little Bighorn Commemorative'. One of 5000 manufactured between 1972 and 1983.
    Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info guys. Pietro, that is the rifle exactly!

Boolit Master

Actually I think you are guilty of "Grand theft-rifle"! --

I never run into deals like that, as much as I admire trapdoors the only ones I ever find are either total junk, way overpriced or just simply not for sale. Congrats on finding something that is definitely a keeper!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    You've got a 'Little Bighorn Commemorative'. One of 5000 manufactured between 1972 and 1983.
    Bill

AFAIK, they've been changing hands lately for around $1500 (+/-).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Did you ask him what else he might be selling? Might be he's got some other gems you'd be interested in too?

Boolit Master

Great buy and very nice looking rifle. Congratulations on the new rifle.

wcp

Boolit Master
    Yep, he is supposed to get with me today or tomorrow.

Boolit Master

Let us know how it shoots.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Congratulations! Sounds like a nice piece. May it serve you better than it did Custer!
    The M1873s and the ammunition served well at the LBH. Contrary to myth and Hollywood they were not really a problem.

koger

Excellent find. I bought one about 28 years ago just to get the grip adaptor for my H&R OM where it was more appropriate. I intended on selling it but it turned out to be such a good shooter I've kept it. I also took off the tang sight and added a real M1879 rear sight as make it a bit more "period original" as issued M1873 carbines never had the grip adaptor or the LR sight (can't call it a "tang" sight because it's not mounted on the tang......). It developed the BB "pop open" syndrome so I eventually replaced the BB with an original. It is now an excellent shooter and lots of fun.

Attachment 249524
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 10-10-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla