WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your valued opinions appreciated.

Boolit Buddy

Your valued opinions appreciated.

Last year during a cow elk hunt, I had a quad rollover accident that snapped off my scope. Fast forward to 2019 and I had a quad bypass, and have been dealing with stage four prostate cancer. I haven't had a ton of time to fix the ol 30-06 and shoot her. I got some new mounts, installed the scope and took it out today. The rifle itself shoots as well as ever. Almost clover leafs at 100 yards. I ran out of up adjustment which is most likely the mounts, but the groups kept moving around on paper. I would move it right, and it would move down. Anyway, I can't take it on my bull elk hunt in two weeks. My 7 mag shoots just as good as ever so it will be my primary.
    The other issue I had was recoil. I have lost over 40 lbs due to my illnesses and recoil is suddenly an issue. I used to be able to shoot my 06 all day and it not bother me. After shooting 6 I had to consciously not flinch.
    All that back story to get to my point. Since I am going to be 8 hours from home I don't want to be without a backup.
    What would your opinion be about a 30-30 with the heaviest premium bullet I can get? I know it would be a 150 yard TOPS round, but would it get the job done with a well placed shot? It will be a scoped 1894ae Winchester.
    Ready, go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    Last year during a cow elk hunt, I had a quad rollover accident that snapped off my scope. Fast forward to 2019 and I had a quad bypass, and have been dealing with stage four prostate cancer. I haven't had a ton of time to fix the ol 30-06 and shoot her. I got some new mounts, installed the scope and took it out today. The rifle itself shoots as well as ever. Almost clover leafs at 100 yards. I ran out of up adjustment which is most likely the mounts, but the groups kept moving around on paper. I would move it right, and it would move down. Anyway, I can't take it on my bull elk hunt in two weeks. My 7 mag shoots just as good as ever so it will be my primary.
    The other issue I had was recoil. I have lost over 40 lbs due to my illnesses and recoil is suddenly an issue. I used to be able to shoot my 06 all day and it not bother me. After shooting 6 I had to consciously not flinch.
    All that back story to get to my point. Since I am going to be 8 hours from home I don't want to be without a backup.
    What would your opinion be about a 30-30 with the heaviest premium bullet I can get? I know it would be a 150 yard TOPS round, but would it get the job done with a well placed shot? It will be a scoped 1894ae Winchester.
    Ready, go.
    If you are accurate with it and you can bear to practice with those new rounds... absolutely

It's iron sights distance only and likely no quartering shot....but if you are accurate with it, get close it'll be just fine. Also keeping in mind it is going as your backup rifle not your primary...in the event you need to use the backup it'll be fine with the mentioned limitation

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If I were out HUNTing elk I wouldn't feel bad about having a 30/30, if I were out killing elk and filling tags I'd want something bigger. Example of that I usually hunt with a smaller round like a 280 and when it's time to get the tag filled and meat in the freezer I'll drag out my 338 Lapua or 300wsm.

As a backup it's better than nothing that's for sure.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Sure, why not? Given the "good shot placement", "premium bullet", and "150 yards" you stated you should do just fine. Many elk were killed with the .30-30 before the advent of magnums, and many have been killed with less potent cartridges.

Just a couple of thoughts on the 30-06. In an accident that does that to a scope it can loosen many things so, did you by chance check the stock screws to make sure they were tight and the scope base screws. Usually wandering shots means something is loose. I have found that usually it is caused by a loose action in the stock. Is your action still solid in the bedding and your barrel free floating.

As for using a 30-30, my BL uses one in Oregon to kill elk every year. He use 180 gr Round nose Remington factory rounds so it will do the job. I keep one as a backup to my 300 WBY or camp gun in case a suicidal elk or deer wanders by camp.

Good luck on your hunt.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts on the 30-06. In an accident that does that to a scope it can loosen many things so, did you by chance check the stock screws to make sure they were tight and the scope base screws. Usually wandering shots means something is loose. I have found that usually it is caused by a loose action in the stock. Is your action still solid in the bedding and your barrel free floating.

As for using a 30-30, my BL uses one in Oregon to kill elk every year. He use 180 gr Round nose Remington factory rounds so it will do the job. I keep one as a backup to my 300 WBY or camp gun in case a suicidal elk or deer wanders by camp.

Good luck on your hunt.
    I will expand on the above advice... Get a magnifying glass and check for cracks around the stock where the screw attaches action to stock. You can tighten the screw but after shooting a few rds the crack expands some more and screw is loose again.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Good luck on your hunt !!

The 30-30 is marginal but WILL do the job with proper bullet placement.

YES on the Remington 170 grain soft point factory ammo

PLEASE let us know how this works out for you.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear about your accident and your heart procedure. You sound like your attitude and present condition is good. I'd say go for it and about the 30-30 as back up to your primary 7 mag, you should be good to go. If you are methodical and careful and with shot placement being the most important item, you will do fine even with the premium ammo for the 30-30.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    I hope your heart heals and your cancer procedures go well.
    Given my experience with muzzleloading for elk over 25+ years, you can do just fine with a 30/30 and carefully placed shots. There were a couple years that I switched to either a 348 or later a 444 to take advantage of special hunt tags. I actually downloaded (!!) both to match my muzzleloader ballistics because of the observations from my an other's successful hunts. That is the beauty of using cast lead boolits because you can manipulate alloys to make them dramatically outperform "premium" jacketed projectiles at close range. It is amazing what a heavy-for-caliber 30 caliber boolit will do at under 1800 fps and out to 100 yards with the right alloy especially if it is a round nose boolit.

Boolit Master
    30-30 will do,I would use good modern factory ammo for elk.

We harvest 95% of our annual moose with 308 Win / factory ammo here in Finland. 30-30 became moose legal only some years ago here.

Get your -06 checked when you have the time,something is loose. Good luck!

Boolit Buddy
    I have not not have any problems killing elk with a 30/30. Growing up I shot a Winchester 32 special. It's all about shot placement and knowing your limitations, the gun will do just fine. Contrary to popular opinion, I am comfortable using a 30/30 out to about 200 yards. Enjoy your hunt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would buy or borrow a back up gun with a scope.

You have lost a lot of weight and your health is poor. You will likely get tired easily and will be breathing deeply. Making a great shot will be difficult. Use enough gun.

Hope your health improves and wishing you a memorable hunt.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm in with most of the above. Launch a stout 180 round nose, and if it hits the mark, it will get the job done. Squeeze in enough practice with whatever you take. Might consider "buffalo sticks", mono-pod, or some other thing to steady your shot. 40 pound loss will translate into some loss of strength. Give yourself every advantage and go have some fun. I've been dealing with cancer, as well, and it's no fun.

Might look at the hornady leverevolution ammo, 160 gr sp that is good hunting ammo. HV safe for tube. SIL got a big hog (308marlin) broke the spine completely. Very accurate too.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I would double check your scope ring screws for proper torque if your POI is shifting. Also check your action screws. Good luck.

Hey there Modified5 Sympathise with you on the Prostate cancer. Myself, I had bladder cancer for five years before it and the prostate gland were removed. And that was more than three years ago. No more cancer. Have a urostomy (with a bag) and it is not that bad. In fact there are some positives. No more getting up at night, just plug in to the night container. Also I get along on the treestand up to six hours with no problem . (Not all that peeing in a jug and missing sometimes, spreading scent all over). Now taking small injections of Testosorone to keep up my enthusiam to go and do. Of course ED was immediate after surgery. But all is not lost. I would rate that at 2/3 now. I will be 85 in January. Please keep a positive attitude.

Boolit Master
    As a range volunteer at a 100 meter indoor range, I can tell you that wandering scopes aren't rare anymore. They are usually among the lowest-priced scopes of any brand. Have someone else shoot it, and if the problem persists, return the scope.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Could the 30-06s' stock have been cracked or bent by the accident? I've had a rifle's stock warp, when the edge of the stock changes pressure on the barrel it can cause "ringing" (for lack of a better term) and the barrel whip caused severe horizontal stringing, though if the pressure wasn't directly from the side as in my case, it could have caused bad vertical and horizontal stringing. (I need to replace that stock, some day; for now it's sorta Bubba free-floated, and shoots like it used to.)

Yes, heavy for caliber bullets. The rest is up to the shooter.
    170 is good, 180 or bigger is better. And then enough practice to have confidence in the combination.
    Confidence is the key.

Boolit Grand Master

You have a scope on the 30-30 so shot placement won't be a problem. I'd look at the Hornady Lever Revolution 160gr FTX and keep the distance reasonable.
    As for the wandering scope, you may have damaged the scope. Did you check the mounts and then try a different scope?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast