MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Tc 45-70

Lat. 33N 6' 48" Long. -84 15" 11" Middle Georgia

Tc 45-70

In my RB I use 525 gr boolits with 70 of BP with a 34" barrel. Okay, what about a Thompson Contender with a 14" barrel? 350 to 400 boolits with 70 of BP. Can you do it ????????????????

Great balls of fire

Boolit Master

Hi. The answer to the question of "Can you do it?" is yes, absolutely, but I think the question really should be..."Should you do it?" It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to beat yourself and the gun to death, then go for it. I really don't think you'll get a full burn on the load, and you're basically wasting a lot of energy. Just so you know, I also have a G2 with 14", .45-70 barrel (as well as a .45-70 BFR with 7.5" bbl,) that I've tried loading up to rifle cartridge potential. After a very short bit, I found that I didn't get good accuracy, and they were just plain miserable to shoot. If you are after a good, accurate, hard hitting load that you can shoot more than as few times at a sitting, I recommend you focus on bullets from 270gr to 350gr at 1000 to 1200 fps. The Lyman 457191 (292gr BBFN) or the Lyman 457122 (330gr Gould HP) are both excellent starting points. I worked up really accurate loads in both pistols using A2400 (with Dacron filler) using those bullets. For just fun, I use a 280gr RNFP (Accurate 46-275R) with 8 gr Bullseye. This load is accurate, fun to shoot, and will easily reach out to 200 yds. If you really want to stick with Holy Black, I'd probably keep it at carbine loads (55gr) or lower. Ed

Banned

I had a 10 inch barreled Contender in 45/70 that I used to shoot 550 Hoch Creedmoor bullets with 70 grains of 2F black powder. Have fun .......not for the timid!!!

Ha ha ha ... Great Balls Of Fire indeed. I betcha in the mid day sun as bright as is possible, your gonna be blinded and scorched. I for one wanna watch.

Boolit Master
    Perhaps the carbine load of 55 gr BP with a 405 gr bullet would be more appropriate?

Lat. 33N 6' 48" Long. -84 15" 11" Middle Georgia
    Thanks, I do think I will try it (55 gr, 405 first) After letting it go through my head some................Maybe not the 525. YET

Boolit Master

I think your full house 525 grain along with a case full of black powder is going to be hard on the shooter and the 14" TC single shot. I wouldn't do it. I think the approach you are thinking about of the carbine load and a 300 grain boolit may be convincing enough that you will have answered your own question. Let us know how it turns out.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Mold
    RedlegEd, on your 280gr load with Bullseye do you use any type of filler?

Boolit Master

Hi Blackout,
    Welcome to Cast Boolits! No sir. It's a very fast powder and position insensitive. Be warned...these are addictive in handgun or rifle...the ultimate large caliber plinker. Ed

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, that's kind of addictive!!!