Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Sticky butt

Boolit Grand Master

Sticky butt

Get you head out of the gutter.
    Sticky butt pad.
    I picked up a Kick Eez soft butt pad from the gunshow.
    Free
    It's very sticky.
    I've wiped it with alcohol.
    It helped a little.
    Any ideas what else I might try????

Boolit Master
    I wrecked one with alcohol, guess I should have done a little research first. Turns out that ammonia on a wet rag or Windex works pretty well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have an older Limbsaver pad with the same problem. It sticks to everything, and will even strip off the surface of paper if left in contact for too long.
    Good to know about the ammonia/windex solution. I have used Truoil stock finish and gunstock wax with some limited success

Boolit Buddy
    Limbsaver pads had a bad run a while back, if you contact them they might still replace it, that's what they were doing back then.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    Limbsaver pads had a bad run a while back, if you contact them they might still replace it, that's what they were doing back then.
    I have had them replace 2 or 3. One was a grind to fit pad. Sent them the buttstock and they replaced/ground to fit and returned it. They offered to send me just the pad or replace and grind, I chose them to fix even though it cost me to shop to them. Been a few years, but really good customer service. it was their problem and they did all they could and made it right.

Boolit Master
    Another trick is to use a wet Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pad. Apparently my wife says that's the ticket for getting it off of her microscope eyepieces at work. She told me at least you aren't sniffing ammonia every time you get your face close to it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Banned

Replace it with a pachmeyr!

Replacement is probably the best option, since the composition is slowly deteriorating and the problem will reoccur.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Try rubbing it with coarse cloth and mineral spirits.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

When I went through Remington Armorer school they let the class know they were having a big problem with their butt pads (which I believe some were made by Limbsaver) and to send them to them for replacement. The instructor said they will continue to deteriorate as time goes by. I have had some Remington shotguns come into work and the they stuck to the bottom of the safe when I put them in there.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Armor all type product?????? Can't hurt.

Boolit Master

I remember Brownells had a product to brush onto pads for the sporting clay guys. It made them slick but wore off. What else doesn't wear out. Clean then replace?