WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I love shooting my own boolits...

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    For me,. 357 sig is relatively new. So, I'm not sure how many reloads I'm going to get in my brass... But I'm pushing a 125 gc pc'd boolit right around 1300fps. It's the accurate 35-125yg. I'm shooting it out of a glock 35 with a kkm barrel. It's super accurate - I've been able to pop clays at 100 yards with fair consistency.
    I’d be curious to know how often you have to trim you 357 Sig Brass.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Boolit Master

Went to a steel match tonight and I shot my cast 357 sigs. Man they bang the hell out of the steel plates. I love it!
    At the match, there was 24 people. 22 shooting 9mm, one guy shooting 40 S&W and then there's me. Shooting nice hot .357 sig...

My wife thinks I'm obnoxious... Pretty sure 22 out of 24 agree - but... I'm having some fun!
    Agreed! The last couple Steel Challeng matches I shot with 10mm Auto and my own cast/coated boolits. Some fun, even if my times would be quicker with several cartridges.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

I started reloading because I needed to find a cheaper way to feed my Mil-surps, but now that 3 of my kids shoot I cast and reload for about 15 or 20 different calibers. Everything but .22lr and shotgun I guess. It truly does save me money. Try taking 3 kids between the ages of 11-16 to the range for the day with store bought ammo! I’d be in the poorhouse. Cost aside, it has become a favorite hobby of mine. I even buy components for guns I don’t have yet if the caliber is on our “future gun” list.

Boolit Buddy

I shoot 3 gun matches with 100% reloads, cast 9mm 147gr, cast 300 BO 150gr, and I reload my shotgun shells. Never had an issue with any of them and its nice knowing I am shooting cheaper than anyone else at the match.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Quote Originally Posted by Valornor View Post
    I’d be curious to know how often you have to trim you 357 Sig Brass.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com
    I use the lee trim dies with the little cutter and a Harbor Freight small drill. I trim all high pressure cases. With 357 sig, I've trimmed very little. Once shot is maybe a couple thousanths... Almost nothing. I'm still running my 357 sig through the trimmer, but only because my tolerances are very tight.
    Also, I am shooting them 'hot' but not really near the maximum. I'm getting a complete burn but not high pressure... I just went with the load that had the lowest SD and was hitting in the tightest groups on paper...
    WWG1WGA

I shoot and varmint hunt with some pretty high intensity,very high velocity CB's.

Have gotten.... and getting moreso everyday of developing a "glazed" eye look when well intentioned as they may be folks,start flappin their gums about what they,"don't" know to be true shooting HV cast. "Oh look,there goes a butterfly".....

I shoot almost every day.... and go varmint hunting at least a cpl times a week. So listening to armchair QB's gets a little old.

Now that my stepson and his family are living with us, the house is run by two strong women; his wife and my wife. Going to therapy, $80.00 an hour. Retreat to man cave, priceless.

I finally managed to get to the "Just for Fun" pistol league at the club I belong to. They shoot a variety of moving targets, and you compete against yourself. I had recently received a Lyman 356402 mold as a gift from another member, and had been working up loads for my Hi Point C9 (don't judge me). It was great fun to shoot up four magazines of my homebrew 9mm. I even scored four out of five on the Texas Star target on the second attempt. Still working on building a lifetime supply of 9mm boolits.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

For me,. 357 sig is relatively new. So, I'm not sure how many reloads I'm going to get in my brass...
    I've got a set of 1000 Speer 357SIG brass I bought in 2004 that has burned through 8lb of AA#7 so far (that's about 7 reloads so far) and seems to keep going. Lasts even longer if you're not shooting real hot loads which seems to be appropriate for cast bullets. I lose more to not finding all the cases on the ground than I do split necks and case head separations. And yes, I've trimmed the necks a couple times.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Agreed! The last couple Steel Challeng matches I shot with 10mm Auto and my own cast/coated boolits. Some fun, even if my times would be quicker with several cartridges.
    What bullet/powder combination are you using in the 10? I have the Lee 401-175-TC mold and it looks like AA#5 is going to be the ticket. Side note: I was trolling one of the local gun shops this week and spotted an ammo can marked 10mm brass. I opened it and found 200 once fired (?) Norma cases pin tumbled and shiny as new. They followed me home.

Boolit Buddy
    For me,. 357 sig is relatively new. So, I'm not sure how many reloads I'm going to get in my brass... But I'm pushing a 125 gc pc'd boolit right around 1300fps. It's the accurate 35-125yg. I'm shooting it out of a glock 35 with a kkm barrel. It's super accurate - I've been able to pop clays at 100 yards with fair consistency.
    I have the same mold but no GC. I have rat holed several thousand cases. I have a G32, two M&P's and a P229 that shoot that round and all of them are accurate. I don't keep up with how many times I have loaded the cases I am currently using but they last a long time. The ones I have discarded have been due to case neck splits from flaring them slightly to seat the cast boolits.

Well I was right, the cast shot much better than the factory FMJ's.

I put a target sideways, placed 2 2" stick on shoot and see bulls on the target.
    Left target got the Lee 93 gr right target got the Lee .314 90 gr truncated cone TL. As cast.

The .314 was the clear winner. And the more I shot that little Beretta 81 in .32acp the better it got.
    No faults, no failures, everything cycled perfectly.

In full honesty I was sitting down, with my right elbow sitting on a small sandbag.
    And I did add a small white dot at the tip of the front sight. Typewriter correction fluid works great.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beretta81sm.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	249329

Boolit Master
    Looking good GhostHawk!

cwlongshot,

Well except for semis rather than wheelguns I thought I was reading a post from me!

I quit steel however after I found a flat lead disc on the ground right in front of me with serrated edges. Been doing golf balls instead.

I am a certified lead, powder, primer, brass, handloading tool and golf ball scrounger!

What am I celebrating? Liberty!

Best regards

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 10-06-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12