Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love shooting my own boolits...

I love shooting my own boolits...

Went to a steel match tonight and I shot my cast 357 sigs. Man they bang the hell out of the steel plates. I love it!
    At the match, there was 24 people. 22 shooting 9mm, one guy shooting 40 S&W and then there's me. Shooting nice hot .357 sig...

My wife thinks I'm obnoxious... Pretty sure 22 out of 24 agree - but... I'm having some fun!
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Not the first cartridge that I would think to use cast in, haha.
    How heavy of a boolit are you using and how fast do you push it?
    How many loads do you find you get out of your brass?

After scrounging Lead, making & shooting your own boolits, it sort of feels like you're beating the system.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Shooting your own Ammo, that you created with your own hands. Using Bullets that you Cast, Sized and Lubed( or PC'ed ) with your own hands, that gives you a very Superior Feeling. Especially when you look around at the other poor folks at the Range shooting factory ammo. Poor Slobs.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Im one with a 40s&w! I also load and cast my own for it and these matches. Its a task keeping supplies up!! I shoot 7 steel matches, 8-9 3Gun matches (I stay mostly local) then a couple pin and fun matches thrown in between. Then there is week night shoots in summer Months. Lastly practice on Sundays when no matches to shoot. With 50-400 rounds per match. Things add up!

I would love to shoot my lil 357 or my 10! But one one range allows me
    To get brass back and I need to stay and clean up/put away steel to get my share. Then, I get a portion of ALL brass. Not specifically my 357/10mm I dont beed 9mm brass I dont own one...

But I agree 100% much pride in being self sufficient! Guys always comment when they see my bullets as I also powder coat. Bringing the color bullets for the event I shoot gets attention!

Enjoy!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I shoot a ruger precision in 308. I shoot cast out of it. A guy next to me asked why do you shoot cast out of that rifle. Told him cause I made them and I am cheep. He was in awe that you could actually do that and get good accuracy. He then got to 100 questions. Didn't shoot much once we got to talking. But did enjoy the conversation.

Boolit Master

Trying to explain to your friends who do not hand load or cast what it feels like to shoot loads that you have worked up to be just what you want them to be is like trying to describe a rainbow to a dog.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I hate to admit it but sometimes before bed I might go into the closet and take out some of my cast reloads and just admire them. I have them stored in Dillon boxes, typically 500 per ammo can. I DO make nice reloads if I may say so myself.
    The process of producing your own ammunition is a very relaxing hobby. My other half calls it "man knitting".....she DOES have a point.
    It is a good feeling to be able to go to the closet and say "...I wonder what I want to shoot today" and grab a couple of hundred rounds.....kind of like going to the grocery store and picking your vegetables to eat.
    That's why I cast and reload and have a garden.
    Shoot from the closet, eat from the freezer.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I'm going to go out on a limb here.

I was recently putting some rounds with a new to me Beretta 81 in .32acp. Now the pistol was mostly wanting to shoot to right of center a couple of inches, and an inch low. I loaded 6 magtech factory FMJ's in the mag and started.

2 of those ended up dead center in the 2" stick on bullseye. The other 4 made a nice tight vertical string off to the side.

Now I have been accused of "Useing the Force" to walk those bullets to where I want them. But 4 of those factory loads just ignored me. I'll be going back today with 50 rounds that I cast and loaded. Any takers on if they go where I want them?

I cast and lubed those boolits, charged the cases. They know who the boss is. I'm guessing I'm going to put 6 in the bull at somepoint today. Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I'm right. But I much prefer shooting ammo I have crafted. I know the powder charges are all going to be with 0.10 of a grain. I know they were all slipped into the right spot and crimped into place.

The most dramatic example I have I was shooting with a Ex army ranger, 14 years service, 3 tours in the sandbox.
    I was letting him work his way through some of my collection. He'd put 6 rounds through a H&R 732 which is a 2.5" snubbie I call blackie. His were all over that target. I walked over, shoot my head. Put up a fresh target. Slipped in 6 .32SW longs with 2 grains of Red Dot and a .314 90 gr truncated cone bullet.

Picked up the gun, took a classic one handed dueling stance, emptied gun. Pulled the target back.

6 shots dead center in the 2" stick on bullseye in the form of 2 triangles, bases together in the middle.
    I don't think side to side or top to bottom it was much if any bigger than an inch at 20 feet.

His eyes got big, mouth dropped. He was flicking between target and me.
    Finally he stammered "How the !@#$#$% did you do that?

Looked at him, total deadpan, "used the Force of course" and I don't think I was kidding. But I think it works better on bullets I've made from scratch. Or it could just be an old man's ramblings. Have yourself a great day. God Bless you all.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I love the guys that look at you like you are crazy and ask, 'Why do you go to all that trouble?' I tell them that it is no trouble at all. And like one of you guys said
    here comes the 100 questions.

I shoot Bullseye matches twice a month during the summer months and out of the 10 or 15 people that shoot all but 2 or 3 reload their own ammo. Most all the guys have
    a brass catcher and it is just what you do to keep shooting. out of all the others I am the only one shooting bullets that I cast myself.

It is funny when you hear a guy on the other range blasting away and seeing how fast they can empty a magazine and there will be a comment to the effect,
    'That person must not reload.'

Boolit Master

Reloading as a whole is my central being. I mean everything I do and Im all over doing most everything. Its my ME time. My relaxation. Alone in my room radio on low I can sort brass. Prep cases completely load cartridges. Mount scopes clean guns adjust broken malfunctioning items. Lately its been building racks and buying jars for bullets and getting labels printed identifying bullets. This winter I WILL complete My expansion of my loading room. I have 1/2 the basement of my 1200 sf ranch. This will get me another 12-10 room. A dedicated cleaning repair bench and a third loading bench.

Its better than the bar stool.

CW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    After scrounging Lead, making & shooting your own boolits, it sort of feels like you're beating the system.

Agreed.

I can't beat the accuracy (or price) shooting some of the oddball stuff I shoot.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    It is funny when you hear a guy on the other range blasting away and seeing how fast they can empty a magazine and there will be a comment to the effect,
    'That person must not reload.'
    The comment I make is "...hey....can I have your brass?"
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    That is on a different range and there are brass rats already over there.

I like making things with my own hands. Casting was an easy choice. I shoot a lot of IDPA, used to do CAS, I enjoy a win with my own bullets. Reloading is a pita, but casting is sort of a zen thing.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

There's not a lot more satisfying than scrounging some lead, smelting/cleaning and testing your alloy. Then melting your clean alloy and casting some bullets, watching those perfect bullets fall out of your mold. Then you lube and size for a perfect fit to the gun the bullets are for. Then loading (after finding the perfect load) then shooting and marveling at the target. Don't get much better than that...

I shot this target with my booits...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Not the first cartridge that I would think to use cast in, haha.
    How heavy of a boolit are you using and how fast do you push it?
    How many loads do you find you get out of your brass?
    For me,. 357 sig is relatively new. So, I'm not sure how many reloads I'm going to get in my brass... But I'm pushing a 125 gc pc'd boolit right around 1300fps. It's the accurate 35-125yg. I'm shooting it out of a glock 35 with a kkm barrel. It's super accurate - I've been able to pop clays at 100 yards with fair consistency.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Went to a steel match tonight and I shot my cast 357 sigs. Man they bang the hell out of the steel plates. I love it!
    At the match, there was 24 people. 22 shooting 9mm, one guy shooting 40 S&W and then there's me. Shooting nice hot .357 sig...

My wife thinks I'm obnoxious... Pretty sure 22 out of 24 agree - but... I'm having some fun!
    excellent have fun
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Trying to explain to your friends who do not hand load or cast what it feels like to shoot loads that you have worked up to be just what you want them to be is like trying to describe a rainbow to a dog.
    LIKE! LIKE! LIKE!......hitting like button

Being the master of your own boolit supply is empowering .
    Being the master of your own ammunition supply puts you in total control .
    Feels good !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Re enforcing my bullet supply as we speak here!!

CW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast