RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Casting indoors?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    What I am picturing is a pyramid shaped hood covering larger than the work surface with enough clearance over the top of the pot to be able to watch the pot and add material when needed and use a ladle. I imagine a fan would be needed to add enough draw to pull the fumes and smoke up into the hood where it can be exhausted to the exterior of the house.

Something along the lines and design of a small fireplace to contain the pot.
    In the window opening put a block off panel with two cutouts, one with the exhaust fan ducted to it, the other with a duct to bring in fresh air with its outlet in front of the bench. This will direct the flow across your lead pot, carrying the fumes to the fan with a minimum exchange of room air.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    My summer casting location. Inside.

My winter location. Outside.
    [img]https:/
    If you're married,,,,,,,,,,,,, you may have the best wife in the history of the Universe.

If I tried that, the neighbors would probably find my head on a stick.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-05-2019 at 12:50 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

building a powered vented hood to go over the pot. Is this possible? I can fit a plywood panel in the top opening of the window with either solid or flexible ducting with a fan to pull the air out.
    The hood venting out the top, with the window open at the bottom enough to pull air in,
    then the hood could finish the loop to pull any fumes/smoke back out.

You may need to make a plywood board with top & bottom holes to put in the fully opened window.
    With a piece of dryer vent flex hose, it should get ya where you want to go.

That should work fine, and maybe with the room door closed, it wouldn't suck all the heat out of the house either.

EVERYONE!

So tell me if I am getting the wrong impression here, that with clean lead and at casting temps of around 700* the major concern is for fluxing smoke and not as much toxic fumes?

I know many range hoods have metallic filters in them to retain cooking smoke, is that sufficient enough do you think if just casting? I ask because I really do not know the answer so if someone could educate me. Something such as that could very easily be added to my second bench.

So tell me if I am getting the wrong impression here, that with clean lead and at casting temps of around 700* the major concern is for fluxing smoke and not as much toxic fumes?

I know many range hoods have metallic filters in them to retain cooking smoke, is that sufficient enough do you think if just casting? I ask because I really do not know the answer so if someone could educate me. Something such as that could very easily be added to my second bench.
    I used to have a customer that spent several years working at the old Dallas Lead plant.

I'd heard that lead doesn't 'gas off' or make fumes until it gets up around 900 degrees--
    which is a little hotter than most of our electric mass produced pots will go up to.

He told me that the temp. to make pure lead fumes was really closer to 1200 degrees.

At any rate-- keep your face out of the fumes and everything is fine.
    It the lead is going to gas, or make 'Lead steam'- you're out of its path.
    You'll also want to stay out of the flight path for the other fumes/smoke.
    Even if they didn't stink, there can't be anything in the smoke or fumes that is good for ya.

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Even if they didn't stink, there can't be anything in the smoke or fumes that is good for ya.
    I WAS a lifetime pack a day smoker until about 2.5yrs. ago when I finally had a heart event that gave me a nice zipper scar. So you don't have to tell me about ingesting smoke and fumes. Funny thing is, I can be in a room full of smokers and it doesn't bother me. No cravings, no that smells awful.

Guess I'm just trying not to over think this like I do so many other times yet I still want it to be safe..

As long as you're using clean lead ingots in your pot you shouldn't have a problem. The danger is if you use "old" lead that has oxidised or is contaminated with other gunk, then you may have issues.

Boolit Master

If you look around, maybe appliance stores, ask for a used stove hood with an exhaust fan that works. Set the hood up near the window, exhaust it out the window and save your self tons of money..There are more used hoods than Carter has pills, for free

Agree with above on freeby exhaust hoods.... find a guy who installs cabinets for sLowes. Not only will he have the hoodys and help you load it but,more than likely will have plenty of cabinets to go with it.

I used a "duct fan" bought new for use in a 6" round duct. Had a pretty nice setup in an unfinished BR upstairs for years. Crack an opposing window and have at it. Lost the space when finishing the room. That was probably the best casting setup I ever had.

Boolit Master
    Wish I had taken a picture of it but used a discarded stove hood vented with flexible pipe to a basement window. Fabricated three panels to enclose the sides and back. When in use would open a different basement window so as to not recycle any fumes at the vent window and cast away. I hung the hood on chains and with the sides removed would hook the chains higher to clear the area over the old desk I used for casting/reloading. When I moved here use the storage room off my carport, has two windows and cast in front of one with a small box fan in the window as exhaust and crack the door opposite the window for air flow. Retired so can pick days when the outside temp is not low enough to make make temp in the room an issue. Winter in SE KY is not like winter in WI.

NOTE: Smelting is done outside and only smoke inside is from final fluxing of clean ingots.

randyrat, Shopdog and RichWIS that is exactly what I was thinking for a setup just wasn't sure how well it would work. Time to go hunting, I'm sure I can scrounge an old hood.

I would never cast in a house!
    1) it will stink up the room and get dust everywhere. vent hood doesn't matter. Paint won't even coverup the oder.
    2) re-sale disclosure - lead? NO SALE. Hazmat cleanup?
    3) spills, tinsel fairy, lube, flux, etc.

Outside, in garage, in a tent, whatever.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I would never cast in a house!
    1) it will stink up the room and get dust everywhere. vent hood doesn't matter. Paint won't even coverup the oder.
    2) re-sale disclosure - lead? NO SALE. Hazmat cleanup?
    3) spills, tinsel fairy, lube, flux, etc.

Outside, in garage, in a tent, whatever.
    Interesting. So what would constitute a lead hazard? Is it the melting/casting of lead or just the mere presence of lead in the room? Would the lead dust from reloading shells and the handling of spent primers in the room constitute a lead hazard?

I think I have been in a few homes that have odors far worse then the smell of melting lead. Where does the dust come from? Not looking for an argument, just looking for you to elaborate on your thinking/reasoning.

From what I have read the most hazard you get from lead is at your dry case tumbler. The lead from the primer compound gets into the dry media. The dust from that is where the lead is. This dust is easy to breathe in.
    That's why I don't dry tumble my cases. I use a water soluble case lube and wash with a hot water, Dawn dish soap and vinegar mix. Rinse with hot water. Let dry.
    This might not make cases as bright any shiny, but bright and shiny don't shoot any better.
    It is much safer.
    If you must dry tumble, do it outside. Wear a good dust mask when pouring the cases out of the tumbler.
    Leave the dust outside.
    Casting boolits won't hurt you or your house.
    If your worried about the resale value of your house, build a shed out back and do your casting there. It won't take much of a shed. Even if you insulate and heat it.
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 10-07-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Going through the design process now for indoor casting and found a factor that. Should not be overlooked. Most houses today are built tight and as a result if powered exhaust is not accounted for, bad things can happen. If you rely on natural draft when bathroom vent or stove hood is turned on the air exhausted must be replaced which means that air will come in from any open windows, fireplace chimneys with dampers open. Serious design consideration should be only given to powered exhaust systems with positive shut off damper when unit is not in use.

Boolit Master
    I have been casting I the house for over 40 years. no ill effects. even spilled some on the floor did not burn the house down.

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    From what I have read the most hazard you get from lead is at your dry case tumbler. The lead from the primer compound gets into the dry media. The dust from that is where the lead is. This dust is easy to breathe in.
    That's why I don't dry tumble my cases. I use a water soluble case lube and wash with a hot water, Dawn dish soap and vinegar mix. Rinse with hot water. Let dry.
    Leo
    Not sure what that has to do with lead casting bullets and lead dust. Then what about those that deprime their brass before they wet tumble or those that do not tumble at all, are the spent primers causing a health hazard that is going to need to be reported before a sale of the house?

Also the vibrator tumbler I use has a cover that seals the bowl and is not vented. I have run it for hours with corn cob and never find dust covering the bench.

Bama, my house was built about 1948 and it is not weather tight like todays homes are. When the wind blows hard from the north in Jan. it can get rather drafty

I think the main reason the op was worrying about venting was to prevent possible lead poisoning.
    popper said he won't cast inside due to lead contamination in the house and effecting resale value.
    I wanted to reassure people that casting boolits won't hurt them or the house.
    Primers contain lead. When they ignite they leave a lead residue in the primer pocket, as well as inside the case. Dry tumbling removes this from the case and holds it in the media.
    When handling the media the dust contains lead. This is harmful.
    Wet tumbling the lead is held by the liquid. No dust. Just don't drink it.
    To help prevent lead poisoning dry tumble out side and try not to breathe the dust. Or clean cases another way.
    Just wanted people to be aware of this source of lead.
    Leo

No, my concern is you sign a paper about lead use and other 'contamnents' in the house. Like if you smoke in your car, get les on trade in. Flux smoke is bad too. Hard to hide, even primer won't cover it. Casting inside won't hurt you if you vent.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Don't sign it DUH. I have NEVER been asked that in my life!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast