Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Vernier tang sight mounting

Boolit Buddy

Vernier tang sight mounting

I purchased a custom built .40/65 and it does not have a very good rear tang sight. The mounting holes for the base of the sight that is on there looks to be 1.550" apart. I would like to buy a mid range sight that I can just screw back on without going to the trouble of drilling and tapping. I compete so I want a halfway decent sight (not much over $250 ) but have no idea how to find one with proper spacing. Any ideas ?.

Boolit Mold
    what action is it based on? the angle of the upper tang is more critical to an upright sight ladder is more critical than the screw spacing

Boolit Master
    Montana Vintage Arms makes fantastic products. I'll bet they can help you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I would get a good measurement of the spacing. Put a screw in each hole snugged down measure over the heads out side to outside and subtract 1 head dia ( if both screw have the same size heads). This will give a very close dimension for center to center. MVA, Lee Shaver, and some others make bases and if the spacing isn't what they have they may be willing to make one or a "blank" that you can drill. The tang angle is important as it sets the sights height and ladders angle. MVA sells some good sights and bases made and fitted together ready to go, I hsve them on a couple rifles. I think MVA Shaver, Teac of wolf give the hole spacing with their bases.

Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post

I purchased a custom built .40/65 and it does not have a very good rear tang sight.

I compete so I want a halfway decent sight (not much over $250 ) but have no idea how to find one with proper spacing.

Any ideas ?

I would suggest you contact the various sight makers/sellers with your screw spacing question, and...………. what action the sight is to be used on.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Apologies, what I should have said is contact Montana Precision Arms (406)388-4027) and explain in detail what your issues are. They either will have a solution, or know where you can get the help you need.

Cheers

Boolit Bub
    shilo sharps and montana precision have different leanth bases , they should something that will work.

Doesn't always depend on screw angle/ hole distance... You didnt mention the type of rifle you have. make sure to get that specific base for that model rifle. Different bases= different angles for the sight.

Here's mine on my Winchester 1886 in 40-82!

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Montana Vintage Arms makes fantastic products. I'll bet they can help you.

Dittos, dittos, dittos. I just recently bought their Soule replica through CPA for a Schuetzen Stevens. The sight is an absolute jewel. Not cheap - I paid near $400, but with ordinary care it will last three lifetimes.

Montana Vintage Arms, 61 Andrea Drive, Belgrade, Montana, 50714

Tell them what rifle you have. I'd take long odds against their not knowing what base you need.

n.b. I also have a Lee Shaver sight on one of mine. Also well made. But if I ever want another sight I'll go to MVA first.
    Last edited by uscra112; 10-06-2019 at 07:11 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brianhearn View Post
    what action is it based on? the angle of the upper tang is more critical to an upright sight ladder is more critical than the screw spacing
    many of the better class sights (MVAetc) have an adjustment on the base to compensate for angle.