Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 45-70 cat sneeze loads

Boolit Master

45-70 cat sneeze loads

I'd like some load data for cat sneeze loads using round ball, 385cr,&405gr boolets using unique, reddot, 2400, bullseye powders.

Over at gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata there is a ton of data for 45/70 , 300, 350, 405 and 500 gr cast boolits, not round balls. (many other calibers also) I have no idea how that data would work with round balls, will take someone way smarter than me to answer that. Why round balls? But I shoot 300 and 405 cast low velocity cast loads in my Henry 45/70 regularly. Much fun. No sore shoulder. And some are very, very accurate.

Boolit Master
    Look up "collar button".
    165 to 200 gr. conical type bullet, huge grease groove, can load bullet down deep into brass (sitting on powder, old timers did this)
    or load bullet in normal position.

a crimp will hold a conical well but a RB is a challenge to crimp in.

Moderator Emeritus

Maybe you aren't familiar with the google custom search window?
    I typed, "round ball load 45-70"
    and I got 7 real good threads, and many other too...But 7 were just what you are looking for.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/goog...396j1486878j21
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

augercreek, 12.0 - 13.0grs. Unique works very well in my Marlin #336 with CB's from 340gr. - 470gr.: accurate and mild recoiling.

If you can get your hands on a can of Trailboss you can make some really nice light accurate loads with it. I shoot a lot of it in 45/70 trapdoors and rolling blocks.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Geez, never knew, round balls. Something new to try. Probably a lot of 'how to' was forgotten about be for I was born in 1946.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    Look up "collar button".
    165 to 200 gr. conical type bullet, huge grease groove, can load bullet down deep into brass (sitting on powder, old timers did this)
    or load bullet in normal position.

a crimp will hold a conical well but a RB is a challenge to crimp in.
    The collar button boolit was designed for indoor gallery shooting - winter practice for the Army and militia. It is fun. Is anyone cutting one any more? I got mine before Walt died.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    The collar button boolit was designed for indoor gallery shooting - winter practice for the Army and militia. It is fun. Is anyone cutting one any more? I got mine before Walt died.
    NOE, Accurate, MP all have similar

I personally use the NOE 186gr CB. Shoots fantastic with TB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wellfedirishman View Post
    If you can get your hands on a can of Trailboss you can make some really nice light accurate loads with it. I shoot a lot of it in 45/70 trapdoors and rolling blocks.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk
    I think trail boss was made for this purpose

Boolit Master
    I powder coated some Hornady .457 round
    balls and loaded them with 8.0 grs of Trail
    Boss. Wouldn't call 'em cat sneeze as they
    have a bit of wallop, but no recoil to speak of.
    No data, no accuracy info as I just did a few,
    but they smacked the steel plate in my yard
    with authority. Maybe I should do some more???

Boolit Master
    +1 for what Condor22 and WELLFEDIrishman said. Trail Boss makes great light loads.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I got an older 250 gr .459 dia RNFP last spring and cast some but my brass was all packed .
    I expect I should be able to load it from 45 S&W to 460 S&W like speeds safely for a Marlin with zero to mild recoil .

Unique at 8-12 gr in about anything not a Trapdoor should be very mild .

I did patch a 454618 with 8 gr of Unique for a TD . It was fun , quiet & probably plenty for anything that could be killed with a 45 Colts pistol . The 285 gr Minnie clocked 1100 fps , sub sonic at 4100 MSL .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Cat sneeze loads are traditionally light for caliber bullets at low velocity.

I use 2 different bullets for such use in my 45-70s. A rapine 260250 (mine run 270 gr) over 8 gr Bullseye (no wad or filler needed or used) which run 1050 fps +/- out of my TDs. This an excellent and very accurate load out to 500 yards. I believe Accurate makes a similar mould now or the RCBS 300 gr FB may be used.

For my true cat sneeze and small game load I use the Rapine 460210 which is a very deep HB'd WC shaped bullet. Over 6 gr of Bullseye (again, no filler or wad needed or used) it runs 950 fps out of my TDs and is very accurate to 100 yards and is deadly on small game and vermin.

Excellent WCs for cat sneeze loads can easily be cast in regular moulds using an old indian trick I learned many years ago. With older non crimp Lyman GCs or now a days aluminum non crimp GCs place them in a small tin lid on top of the furnace to preheat them. With tweezers put them cup toward in a drive band in a regular mould to cast a "short" WC bullet. After they cool the GC is easily pulled or flicked off for reuse or you can shoot them on the bullet if you want. If a PB mould the part where the GC was is the nose. Loaded under 3 - 6 gr Bullseye in the 45-70 case they shoot excellently.

Attachment 249247
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I agree with the 12 grains of unique under a normal size bullet for the 45/70

For single round balls I prefer to size a .490” pure lead ball down to .460” which almost flattens the bottom and leaves a nice bearing surface to help increase neck tension for a good burn.

That being said I’ve also made wadcutters from existing moulds as detailed in this thread

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...From-Any-MouldClick image for larger version. 

Name:	F2A43F8C-2EA7-489D-A7AB-75FAE3D1FBA1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	249248

Boolit Master

Larry beat me to it while I was looking for links and pictures.

Not exactly what you asked for, but I suspect there is info here that will help:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByC...er%20Loads.pdf

On the 45/70 I used the 457122 and Clays, but I did the Magnum load-- 4.4 grains of Clays, no filler. 200 yards I was aiming about 12 feet above the dinger to hit it.

Still rang it very well. Aim, pull the trigger, lower the gun.

And wait for it
    Last edited by 15meter; 10-03-2019 at 10:45 PM.

I use a 250gn boolit that casts 0.460" (LHS)

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Thanks Guys much food for thought here said ! I'll be using it soon. The #3 will be loving it and my shoulder will too !

Quote Originally Posted by augercreek View Post
    Thanks Guys much food for thought here said ! I'll be using it soon. The #3 will be loving it and my shoulder will too !
    A Number 3 in 45/70 is what got me started on the hunt for more manageable loads. I stumbled across the loads I listed above and haven't looked back. I've used mouse fart loads in every thing from a 22 Hornet to a 470 Nitro Express with probably 40+ calibers/gauges in between. Ever try a 3/4 oz. 12 gauge skeet load?