Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: 45/70 In Marlin Lever

Boolit Buddy

45/70 In Marlin Lever

Does anyone here know how much higher I should have to hold at 200 yds than 100yds?
    I am shooting a Marlin XLR with a Ranch Dog TLC460-425-RF. I have the rear sight at the highest elevation and still have to hold about 4" over my target at 100 yds. Seams to shoot two feet low at 200? Thanks in advance.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings Deepending on how tall your front sight is you could REDUCE that some... I personally would just make myself a taller rear sight elevator. You may be able to yet cut another notch in your present rear sight elevator.. but if you want to shoot to 200 yards and you are 2 feet low you need probably 3 notches more elevation. You can also set your present elevator completely under the rear sight as a test to see if that is tall enough for 200 yrds.
    Any piece of metal the same thickness or some thinner will work to make a new elevator. Make your first notch the hieght of your present highest notch and add notches. I would double the new notch hieght compared to the origonal difference in notch hieghts.
    I have done this for my 38-55 Winny when I decided to shoot out to farther distance...
    Not knowing your velocity or load makes this rather guessy but there is my idea.

Boolit Buddy
    with 32 grains of H4895 it should be pushing about 1500 fps. I hadnt thought about making a new rear sight elevator. I will also look into the front sights available for this rifle. I know that this rifle was designed around the lighter LEVEREVOLUTION ammo but I want to shoot my own cast boolits. I hope to get it to shoot dead on at 100 yds.

Boolit Master
    You can get a lower front sight , but if I were you I would get a Williams peep sight that mounts in the rear scope mount holes !

But better yet I would scope the darn thing !

I shoot the bullet you are asking about in a Marlin 1895G with a LEupold 1-4x and it does very well for me !

And on the other hand I have a 1895XLR , but that one is a Leverevolution only rifle now !
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 11-02-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    FWIW , I use the William's peep sights I mention on my lever silhouette rifles !

It works pretty well on my 336CB 30-30 and my 1894CCL 32-20 . And the same sight will work on your 1895XLR

Boolit Buddy
    something like this? It doesn't give the measurements for the screws mine are real close to 1/2 inch apart. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=774488

Boolit Master
    That should work ,I had one on my 1895SS but switched to a Marbles tang sight. It now resides on a 30-30. I did buy the one with click adjustments but otherwise it's the same.The 1895 and the 336 are basically the same reciever.

beemer

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks beemer. I wondered about the tang sight too. How do you like it compared to the peep?

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    FWIW , I use the William's peep sights I mention on my lever silhouette rifles !

It works pretty well on my 336CB 30-30 and my 1894CCL 32-20 . And the same sight will work on your 1895XLR

What he said.

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered that sight from midway I use the peep on my AR's as well as my garand. I think I will like it on my XLR

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    If you are on the money at 100, you'd br better walking 100 yards closer and using the same sight setting.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehorn View Post
    something like this? It doesn't give the measurements for the screws mine are real close to 1/2 inch apart. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=774488

Thats what you want , but like Mick I would suggest you get the more expensive Williams Foolproof version over the Williams 5D . It's maybe $25 difference I think .

Boolit Master
    Not only is the FP better.........it is on sale......with 2 Fire sight front sights for $20........more than the 5D.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=799753

Now about the tang sight for the 336. It has a big blockie base, which does not allow you to grip the stock, with your thumb over the top of the grip.

I have the Williams FP 336-TK on my 1895 CB, I mounted the Marble's on first, and less than 10 shots and I took it off. I guess it's OK if you can shoot the gun with your thumb on the right side of the grip. I like to wrap my hand around it.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master
    Jon is right about the Marbles tang, it works for targets but would not really be my first choice for hunting. The FP is a good sight, the click adjustments are easier to work with and worth the extra money.

beemer

On my No. 3 Ruger -- which is very similar in barrel length and sight set-up -- I have it sighted for 100 and hold about 2/3 of the blade that holds the bead above the rear sight notch for 200. This has produced very consistent and repeatable results. YMMV

Boolit Buddy
    Well I didnt know the difference between the FP and the regular 5D when I ordered it. I should have waited a day before I ordered it. I guess we live and learn (the hard way) sometimes.

Boolit Buddy
    Besides being in the way of your thumb the Marbles tang is in the way for cleaning . to get the bolt out I have to remove the 2 side screws & take the tang sight out of its base

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    Not only is the FP better.........it is on sale......with 2 Fire sight front sights for $20........more than the 5D.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=799753

Now about the tang sight for the 336. It has a big blockie base, which does not allow you to grip the stock, with your thumb over the top of the grip.

I have the Williams FP 336-TK on my 1895 CB, I mounted the Marble's on first, and less than 10 shots and I took it off. I guess it's OK if you can shoot the gun with your thumb on the right side of the grip. I like to wrap my hand around it.

Jon
    OH MY! That just don't look right.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a higher rear sight elevator from the gum shop in Gillett WY. If you look around I'm sure you can find one in your area. Before I got that one I just silver soldered a piece of metal to the bottom of my first one. Hope this helps.

Jerry

Boolit Buddy
    allot of great information here. I will try the 5D and I do hope it works out well. I can't wait to dial it in!