Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ingot Mold Questions

If they ever come in from his supplier...Lakehouse2012 is selling molds. It looks like they will come in about $15/each. He ordered more than what was signed up for...so you should be able to get in on the deal....send him a note.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ds-(round-2)-)

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

In the group buy section there's an ongoing group buy for some Redneck Gold Ingot molds.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Well I didn't answer your question so I'll attempt it. I try to fill each cavity just to the top of the dividers. I don't know there is a correct way. Maybe one way will give a pound with pure and the other a pound with Linotype.

I would weigh if I was wanting specific alloy and repeatable results.
    You've addressed the specifics nicely. I had thought I was "over thinking" the thing, and it appears I was.

As I see it, I can either fill the mould all the way to "manage" my alloy, or I can fill to the dividers (maybe +/- a little) to have discrete bits of a particular alloy. And whichever method I use, I should probably actually weigh every chunk of metal I plan to include in some "special mix" alloy.

Thanks for the (patient!) guidance.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Check the comments in this post...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-this-venture!
    A lot of great info in that thread! I am thinking particularly about how I would put one of those big, triangular ingots in my little 20# furnace... So I'm pretty much going to keep my eyes on the smaller Lee/Lyman/RCBS moulds. For now, anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I like the long shape of standard ingots over muffin tin shapes, because you can stack them vertically in the pot more effectively, when starting to melt. With muffin shapes, you have a lot of air space around them and I think a lot of heat escapes in the beginning.

Boolit Master
    I used to use Lyman and Lee ingot molds, but decided I wanted some a little bigger for casting, and much bigger for base alloy storage. I ended up with some of the Cast Boolits 2.5#x4 ingot molds from the recent group buy, and some small Wilton quadruple loaf pans that will throw a nearly ten pound ingot per cavity.

I cast each ingot cavity separately. Maybe the draft on the small Lyman and Lee molds is different; linking all four cavities by flooding the top of the mold works for those, but not the Cast Boolits mold, which have less draft. The latter fall out as individual ingots, but bind badly if linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    I just fill to top so four are made and easier to deal with for me whatever their weight are. One thing I started doing is using aluminum soda cans for a faster run. Cut top out with can opener and rinse well, MUST BE PERFECTLY DRY INSIDE BEFORE USE!!!!!! Fill right up to neck and about two to three hours later you can almost touch it, a pair of diagonal cutters and needle nose and roll off can. Makes usually 8 pounders and change and in use after first one melts ease second in and away you go in little bottom pour. Use cans with water on cold pot to double check volume so no Lava flows.
    Seems like a lot of work when you can just turn the ingots out of most any mold??
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Like the others said, there’s not really a right or wrong answer. I use several different Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, Ohas and Lee molds. Pouring up to the dividing line gets real close to 1# with wheel weight alloy.

Also like someone else mentioned, don’t get real hung up over mixing exact alloys. Lab grade alloys are nice but unnecessary in our hobby.

Just for the record, my Lee ingot mold drops the smoothest ingots.

A

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by nvbirdman View Post
    Go to a thrift store and look for something of cast iron or aluminum you can use for an ingot mold. I have one of the cast iron corncob pans and a few aluminum muffin pans. They were very cheap (less than the Lee mold).
    This is what I do. I like the muffin pans better as the ingots stack easier.

Chris

Boolit Mold
    I use the little stainless steel condiment cups from Walmart. I think they were 4/$1. I ladle the lead from the smelting pot to the cups and they make nice little 1 lb "muffins". I mark them using metal letter stamps - CW, SW, ISO for clip-on wheel weights, stick-on, ISO core, etc. I made little boxes out of scrap wood to stack them. The larger boxes hold 64 (too heavy) but the small ones hold 33 (more manageable). I've put them in 5 gallon buckets before, but the buckets better be where you want them before you fill them up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muffins.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	250027

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    If they ever come in from his supplier...Lakehouse2012 is selling molds. It looks like they will come in about $15/each. He ordered more than what was signed up for...so you should be able to get in on the deal....send him a note.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ds-(round-2)-)

redhawk
    Those molds that Lakehouse designed and got a company to make are pretty nice indeed. I think he is working on a or now has a mold that embosses Redneck Gold on the ingot. Check the vendor section or completed group buy to find him for sending a PM. He also may have a group buy going but I think he decided it was simpler to just buy them and then do a vendor sales of them.

Always test a single muffin in a thrift store or garage/estate sale muffin tin. If they are tinned steel the lead will stick like it was soldered in place. Better to beat one "puck" out of a tin than a dozen of them so test with just one. Bread loaf pans are great for bulk storage slabs but they won't fit in a casting pot.

Price of those lakehouse designed molds is competitive with Lee but they hold 2.5 lbs in each ingot and there are 4 ingots per mold. Compared to 3 or 4 pounds of ingots per mold of Lee or RCBS to that group buy mold at 10 pounds at a time. That difference really speeds things up. Think 50 pounds of lead in Lee 17 fills, RCBS 12.5 fills or the ones from Lakehouse at 5 fills.

The ingots fit very snug in a small flat rate USPS box for shipping or into a casting pot, while long enough to lay across the pot to pre-warm so one doesn't drop an ingot into the casting pot cold or with moisture on it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I do like the new Cast Boolits molds a lot: easier to cast up, as RogerDat notes, a good shape and length for preheating on top of the pot, big enough to quickly refill the pot, but not so big as to be awkward to handle or to cool the melt too much.

I like them enough that I'm seriously trying to justify to myself remelting the 300 odd pounds of casting alloy I have in stock just to recast them in the new ingots.

Quote Originally Posted by OTShooter View Post
    A lot of great info in that thread! I am thinking particularly about how I would put one of those big, triangular ingots in my little 20# furnace... So I'm pretty much going to keep my eyes on the smaller Lee/Lyman/RCBS moulds. For now, anyway.
    This is the reason I changed to this big ingot...this is 18 pounds of ingots in my Lee 4-20, they melt down and feed themselves into the pot without my constant feeding of other smaller ingots. While this is going on the old hot plate oven is warming my mould.
    When I'm up to temperature in the pot, the mould oven is ready also...when they are about 1/2 way melted, I'll put the PID temp. probe in the pot so that I won't overheat.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I have also used the triangular ingots that os_ok shows. They work fine. Mine are typically around 1.5 lbs. but can go over 2 lbs. if I fill the mold. Homemade molds so length was designed to fit in USPS SFRB for shipping.

Those ingots work well, and stack fairly decent. But when placed in a larger stack on a shelf each layer has to be one or two ingots less than the layer below. End up with a tapered stack which wastes a little space. And with the dear wife having gotten this wacky idea about parking her car in the garage space is becoming something of an issue.

I find the smaller ingots I have end up loose in a crate or container. They just don't stack all that well. Little pucks or Lee ingots mostly. Lee will stack ok if you over fill the mold so all the ingots are joined but.... they don't fit in the pot that way. Have to break them up to go in the pot.

I won't re-melt and make new ingots out of my finished casting alloys. Those are all specific Pb/Sn/Sb alloys that are ready to cast.

I do intend to re-melt my ingots of raw ingredients. Many of the premium alloys are bread pan slabs, many of the plain soft lead are in pucks. These into consistent ingots is a goal. Have a few hundred pounds of unprocessed WW's and COWW small loaf pan blocks that I will be making into ingots using the Cast Boolit group buy ingot molds.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 10-23-2019 at 02:31 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I have also used the triangular ingots that os_ok shows. They work fine. Mine are typically around 1.5 lbs. but can go over 2 lbs. if I fill the mold. Homemade molds so length was designed to fit in USPS SFRB for shipping.

Those ingots work well, and stack fairly decent. But when placed in a larger stack on a shelf each layer has to be one or two ingots less than the layer below. End up with a tapered stack which wastes a little space. And with the dear wife having gotten this wacky idea about parking her car in the garage space is becoming something of an issue.

I find the smaller ingots I have end up loose in a crate or container. They just don't stack all that well. Little pucks or Lee ingots mostly. Lee will stack ok if you over fill the mold so all the ingots are joined but.... they don't fit in the pot that way. Have to break them up to go in the pot.

I won't re-melt and make new ingots out of my finished casting alloys. Those are all specific Pb/Sn/Sb alloys that are ready to cast.

I do intend to re-melt my ingots of raw ingredients. Many of the premium alloys are bread pan slabs, many of the plain soft lead are in pucks. These into consistent ingots is a goal. Have a few hundred pounds of unprocessed WW's and COWW small loaf pan blocks that I will be making into ingots using the Cast Boolit group buy ingot molds.
    This is my solution for a stacking improvement...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Painted ends looks neat - How to you pull out a painted green ingot or 2 when needed?
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Painted ends looks neat - How to you pull out a painted green ingot or 2 when needed?
    That dark green is dead soft lead, I have 120 pounds of that accessible from elsewhere. If I were to use that green soft in bars I would have stacked the wire crate a little differently...otherwise I'd have some pickin-N-pullin to do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    That dark green is dead soft lead, I have 120 pounds of that accessible from elsewhere. If I were to use that green soft in bars I would have stacked the wire crate a little differently...otherwise I'd have some pickin-N-pullin to do.

Charlie/OS OK,

I know you mention another source for the green soft ones other than in the box, but when it comes time... to make your "pickin-N-pullin" a bit easier, you could try the following...

Slide the crate away from the place it is sitting so that you could tip it on to the bottom. Put something into the crate loosely, that leaves a slight bit of room in the crate that will not crush from the lead leaning into it slightly in the open space of the crate. Then tip the crate over on to it's bottom. The ingots should open up as they lean into the "something" you put into the open space and remove the ingots you want to take out.

( Good time to take a break & enjoy a beer.)

Depending on the amount of ingots you remove, you may have to fill the void they leave, with something else to take up some of that space with the ingots still a bit loose in the crate. Then, if ya want, tip the crate back to the side it was on like in the picture and most of the ingots should self stack themselves. Then you can either remove the "Somethings" you used, or just leave it/them in the crate for the next time.

Might want to have your brother or a friend help you tip that crate "if" you do the above. Looks like about approx. 120 +/- pounds in that crate if those ingots are 1 pound each. Obviously more if the ingots are more than a pound.

Or you can set your *** down on a bucket or a stool, drink a beer while ya remove ingots from one side or the other till you reach the ones you want & re-stack afterwards. Which ever you would find easier.

I reckon it would depend on how much of the bottom stuff you needed and how much you wanted to drink a beer while doing this, Haha.

I stack mine in piles of SOWW, COWW, and Pure lead, with smaller piles of lino/mono/foundry, and some assorted alloys leftovers I put back into ingots(rarely though, as I usually pour the alloy til it is gone.) and make up my alloys by removing from each pile when I need to. So , I don't have an issue with having to move the ingots unless I want to relocate them for some reason or to take a few to make what alloy I want. I don't think I have as much "stock" as you do though with only a half ton, so the space the ingots take up is relatively small in my garage. Everyones "miles may vary" according to their supply , of course.

Anyway, have fun.

P.S. - if ya drink a beer during the second method, don't set it down in between picking & then accidentally tip it over. That could be a tragedy of the worst kind if you are running low on the stuff & may be considered alcohol abuse by some...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Thanks JB...it's always good to have someone with a 'complete brain' mull on something and get me straightened out beforehand...heheee...I guess I've left 'bit's-N-pieces' of my brain in some Rodeo arena somewhere over the years.

Actually, those ingots average 2.5 pounds and if I really tried to fill the mould, they would be closer to 3 pounds. This collection of shot is reflected by the empty shot bags on the tailgate.

The dark green ingots are all those fishing/trolling sinkers in the 5 gallon bucket and some of the same in the cardboard box on the left. This made a lot of lead so I gave a friend the remaining full shot bags and the copper coated shot in those copper looking cans...he's actually just learning to load for the scattergun.
    Weight of the dark green ingots was 195 pounds and from the empty bag count on the tailgate the other colored ingots went 250 pounds...
    SO...tipping that crate is doable with a couple of beers to stay hydrated with.

Boolit Master
    Well Charlie, You may want to have a few before ya even start, since they weigh that much. Definitely suggest you have help if ya do the tipping method. Make sure to have more beer than just for you... Haha
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast