WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: New Marlin Adventure update! Chapter 2

Banned

!!!Rifle is back!!! Marlin Adventure update! Chapter 2

Hello friends,

I bought a new Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt. It developed bolt problems and instead of tinkering with it myself I decided to test out Marlin/Remington's customer service for their new guns. I posted about it in an earlier thread below.

Here is how it is going so far:

On 9/6/19 I went online to Marlin, explained the problem and within minutes I had an authorization to return the rifle for service. From the same web page I requested a UPS pick up date. I printed out the return form and boxed up the rifle.

Marlin also incorporates a feature that let's you track the status of your gun's repair by entering the serial number and your zip code. It returns a "status".

9/9/19 Rifle picked up at my home in California by UPS.

9/16/19 Rifle received at Marlin.
    status shows "new"

9/24/19
    status changed to "repairing"

9/27/19
    status changed to "inspected"

9/30/19
    status changed to "packed"

later that same day
    status changed to "shipped"

I then got a nice email from the Marlin customer service department letting me know that my rifle had been repaired. No details on the nature of the work. A tracking number was provided. I should get the rifle next Monday, 10/7/19.

As luck would have it I am off next week so I will have plenty of time to try it out.

So far I am happy with the process. If the rifle is repaired correctly then I will consider the matter closed.

Steve in N CA:
    Last edited by sghart3578; 10-07-2019 at 11:19 PM.

I've had good luck with Remington customer service the one time I had to use them. They replaced a rifle that had a problem with their ammunition and didn't charge for the service in either direction.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Got my trigger fingers crossed for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I sent my 1894 Remlin in.44 mag back to the factory to correct a hard to pull trigger issue. It came back with an explanation that a burr was removed. Bottom line, the trigger pull is still terrible and the gun won't group worth sour owl manure!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Banned
    I know a lot of people have had bad experiences with Marlin/Remington. The Marlin owners forum is full of "Remlin" haters. When I try to tell those guys over there to be positive and not be backward looking haters I earn myself a time out. I try to be a glass half full kind of person.

It is similar to the reloading subforum on this site. There seems to be a group of posters loaded and waiting for anyone to post a positive opinion off Lee products.

The purpose if my post here was not to ask about other peoples experiences with Marlin/Remington but to give you guys a step by step account of my experience.

If this threads devolves into a hatefest I ask the moderators to please close it. I will understand.

Keep us posted thanks
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve been following this thread because I’m interested in the outcome. My most recent Remlinnwas a 45 Colt LE model and it is the nicest Marlin I have followed by my CCL that TUG had kept for me for a while.

Boolit Master
    I had purchased one of the last JM Marlin ‘94 C’s and installed a XS sight. That
    ‘S when I noticed that the barrel was crooked in the receiver. I couldn’t adjust the windage enough to get it on paper at 50 yds. I took it to a local repair center and the smith told me he’d had some like this before. The receiver was threaded wrong and the rifle was unsafe to shoot. He sent it back to Marlin which by this time was Remington. It was during this period of time that they couldn’t even make a ‘94 in .357 so they wanted me to take a .44 Mag instead. I held out for a .357 for a year but finally realized that it might never happen. Finally I accepted a .44 and it was actually nicer than expected. It seemed to be a little weak on ejection but otherwise was a nice rifle. Remington customer service did their best but they couldn’t send me something that manufacturing couldn’t make. I eventually sold the .44 and bought an older .357 made in 1983.

Banned
    Okay,

I got my rifle back from Marlin today and I am happy so far!

The work order says that they replaced the lever and removed some burrs in the receiver then tested it.

It looks like they also replaced the ejector but it was not listed on the work order.

I was off today so I took it to my local indoor range. I didn't have time to drive to my outdoor range.

I fired 42 rounds of 4 different loads that I use in my Blackhawk and my Vaquero. They are:

Lee 200 gr RF, as cast, tl and loaded over 7.5 gr of Bullseye.
    Lee 255 gr RF, as cast, tl and loaded over 7.5 gr of Bullseye.
    Lee 200 gr RF, as cast, tl and loaded over 8.5 gr of Unique.
    Lee 255 gr RF, as cast, tl and loaded over 8.5 gr of Unique.

All loads grouped clover leafs at 25 yards. Sights were still dead on from my first adjustment.

The action is very, very smooth. Trigger pull is still on the heavy side but it is getting better.

One cool note: On my old JM Marlins if I have the action open laying on it's side I can drop a round in the action and close the lever no problem.

My new 1894C won't do this, it binds until I turn the rifle "upright".

This 45 Colt was the same way. But now I can drop a round into the action and close it while it is on it's side. They did some serious cleaning up.

I am very happy so far. Next week I will take it out and try it at 50, 75 and maybe 100 yards.

A big thank you to Marlin and thanks for listening.

Steve in N CA

That's good news, and I'm glad they were able to take care of the problem for you.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    when i got my slb had to debur the edge of the reciver on loading gate as it bit me ,the lever dropped very easily cured that with a new spring trigger is getting better but wasnt too bad from the start.

You know I have been on other Marlin sights and have explained that if they keep hating on the new Marlins that they will drive their younger and newer Marlin buyers off. They don't care. I Love my 1894 CSBL and very happy with it. Congratulation on getting yours fixed properly. Glad CS came through.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad they fixed it and fixed it right......the first time. My recent marlin purchases have been positive experiences.

Boolit Bub
    good to hear. I love a happy ending

Boolit Master
    Good to hear they made it right
    Failure is not an Option