RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying silver - now interested in gold

Buying silver - now interested in gold

I have been buying 1 oz. American Eagles silver from JM Bullion over the last few months. No complaints. Prompt shipping, tracked and insured, etc.
    I want to buy some gold now, probably in 1/10 oz. sizes. I think I might be wise to look at other sources.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Take a look at the sites that buy as well as sell. Different gold bullion coins from different countries have different buy prices.
    Also, the small size ones generally don't command comparable buyback prices to reflect price over spot you pay when buying, so generally get the largest one you can afford depending on your overall strategy.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Monex has given me good service.

Are these the same people you would go to when you want to sell gold or silver? What is then typical cost to sell? Discount, ship & insure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    Are these the same people you would go to when you want to sell gold or silver? What is then typical cost to sell? Discount, ship & insure.
    JM buys at spot. You usually pay a bit of a premium for recognizable and US Mint coins. I just want to make sure that if the SHTF comes about, people won't be concerned that the silver and gold I own isn't fake.
    I am not investing. I am buying currency.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 10-01-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    The place I recently checked into sells and buys at 5% over and under, respectively.
    R/Griff

Boolit Master
    I’ve been happy with the deals listings at Provident Metals and SD Bullion. I swear all of these companies are related.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    JM buys at spot. You usually pay a bit of a premium for recognizable and US Mint coins. I just want to make sure that if the SHTF comes about, people won't be concerned that the silver and gold I own isn't fake.
    I am not investing. I am buying currency.

In the scenario you speak of, some folks think .22 ammo will be the currency of the future.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

we use a little mom and pop coin store in wichita and only buy recognizable us currency gold thinking that it will be easier to sell if the shtf
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    In a shtf scenario, I’d sell you a can of Vienna Sausages for 5 ounces of gold.

Boolit Master
    I don't know what any of that gold or silver is going to be good for if the SHTF. As far as I'm concerned it's worthless. What can it be used for? Do you think precious metals will really become an economy again? If the economy has tanked what do you think a $50 gold piece will be worth? How much food or supplies do you think a Krugerrand is going to get you? A bag of beans & rice? 5-10gallons of fuel? That's an expensive trade. I think it's all hype. Food, guns, ammo, fuel, water, medications, first aide supplies ect. are all things that will work better in a trading economy. Now if you want to buy them for investment that's a different story. I may be wrong but that's JMHO, Jay

I have been very happy with the purchases I have made with Provident. I have yet to sell any silver yet.
    I want to see another zero in front of the decimal point on the spot price.

Several years ago I did some looking around. Comparing spot prices, premiums, and shipping and Provident is where I ended up.

I have a lot more I could play with, but I hate putting too many eggs in one basket.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I don't know what any of that gold or silver is going to be good for if the SHTF. As far as I'm concerned it's worthless. What can it be used for? Do you think precious metals will really become an economy again? If the economy has tanked what do you think a $50 gold piece will be worth? How much food or supplies do you think a Krugerrand is going to get you? A bag of beans & rice? 5-10gallons of fuel? That's an expensive trade. I think it's all hype. Food, guns, ammo, fuel, water, medications, first aide supplies ect. are all things that will work better in a trading economy. Now if you want to buy them for investment that's a different story. I may be wrong but that's JMHO, Jay
    you could be right or you could be wrong, history says your wrong. my supply is for paying property taxs.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    There is an old saying, The Golden Rule, the men with the gold make the rules. I doubt it will be changed to The Bitcoin Rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    In a shtf scenario, I’d sell you a can of Vienna Sausages for 5 ounces of gold.
    Well, that is what a 35x35 garden is for - and canning - and 2 freezers full of chickens, burger and veggies - and a generator with 50 gallons of gas.
    I have plenty of 22 ammo and the ability to load probably 20,000 rounds of rifle and pistol ammo. I think I am all set there. Even if nothing ever happens in the SHTF scenario, I am all set anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    you could be right or you could be wrong, history says your wrong.
    I would ask the Jews that fled Germany in the 1930's what they left with....diamonds, silver and gold. History DOES have a way of repeating itself you know.

I'm with Rancher1913, my silver stash would pay my property taxes for several years if needed. And if the brown smelly stuff should ever truly hit the rotating air moving device silver prices would soar, making it worth much more than what I invested.

Alcohol and tobacco prices would also soar. And when your sitting at the table haggling I figure a nice double of good bourbon would make a good deal sweetener.

I also figure most of the AR/AK crowd are going to have very poor trigger discipline at first. Most of them will burn through their stored ammo pretty quickly I think. Leaving a very good market for good factory ammo. So I have pretty good stocks of factory .223 and 7.62x39 on hand.

I should probably stock more Heirloom seeds. I have some, and if you have the seeds you could probably arrange a deal where in exchange for the seed you get 1/4 to 1/3 of everything they raise. Letting them do the work while you enjoy the fruits.

Fish4bugs makes IMO a very valid point. Since before the time of Christ Silver and Gold have had value. Because of their relative rarity an ounce of silver is worth more than an ounce of copper, tin or iron. Gold even more so. Diamonds also, but I suspect that several large company's have been stockpiling massive amounts of diamonds in order to control the market. If those every got released the prices would crash, badly.

Now good gem quality Emeralds and Ruby's are getting harder and harder to find. And I don't think many companys have big stocks in reserve. I'm a little leary of getting into the diamond market.

But my wife has quietly been buying Black Hills Gold at pawn shops for years. It is recognizable, trusted, not easily faked or adulterated.

Moderator Emeritus

I wish I could help the OP with a Gold dealer...but I've never bought Gold...Only buy "bullion value" silver US coins. I use ebay, and I have a formula about choosing buyers, but that I won't go into here...but yeah, it's ebay and ya still take a chance.

Since this thread is going in "that" direction.
    I buy for multiple reasons, I like coins...and it is also an investment hedge, and lastly if the US economy fails.
    I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't pretend to know if silver will be of any value or not, if the US economy fails...and as others stated, I try to be well prepared with other items as well.

Anyone remember the Bank failure in Greece a few years ago?
    well, since then, I keep a fist full of paper currency in the house. Just think if the US banks started limiting your withdrawls.
    Maybe like on Mondays only and maybe a max of $100. Even if it were reported to only go on for a short period of time, like one month...just imagine the waiting lines. Before Y2k, I imagined that the potential Y2k event was a conspiracy to eliminate paper currency. Well that didn't happen, but we do know the Government would love to do that. Than Greece, seemed like the same potential deal, ya that didn't happen...but I figure it's coming, best be prepared for it, even if the preparations only help a little.
    that's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I have been buying 1 oz. American Eagles silver from JM Bullion over the last few months. No complaints. Prompt shipping, tracked and insured, etc.
    I want to buy some gold now, probably in 1/10 oz. sizes. I think I might be wise to look at other sources.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Why not continue to use JM? I've bought silver, gold and even an ounce of platinum from them. Their prices are good, selection is good, websites is easy to navigate and the shipping is kind of slow but I'm guessing all the dealers wait a little while before sending. If you find something better please update us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast