Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Marauder A D

Moderator Emeritus

Marauder A D

Well... after over sixty years in the "shooting sports" I had my first (and hopefully last) accidental discharge. I had a red-dot scope on my Benjamin Marauder PCP pistol, and a combination of it's dot no longer being bright enough in field and my aging eyes suggested my swapping it for a plain-Jane scope.
    Here became challenge #1, as the pistol has 11mm dovetail, and all my attachments are either 1" with that size, or (what I needed) 30mm with Weaver bottom. I got clever, and took a few sets apart, gerry-rigging a set which fits remarkably well, albeit I was concerned as ocular end clearance is but about 1/32nd of an inch, and question re magazine insertion/removal came up. I put a mag in, held the now-scoped PCP out, and -- a 14 grain pellet discharged -- just an inch or two in front of, and between, my socked feet. Whew! I have yet to find the pellet, while ever so thankful no apparent damage was done to me (or anything else in my loading room).
    NOT the air pistol's fault -- just mine, forgetting for a micro-second the most important rule of handling any similar device: Assume it IS loaded!
    I'm sharing my stupidity and embarrassment here as, perhaps hopefully, a headsup to other owners of similar (as well as firearms) pneumatic pistols. The extra-light (~1 lb) trigger pull is -- so I found out -- not to be taken for granted. I should have inserted an EMPTY mag; and, had the mechanical safety on... Perhaps Forrest Gump's line, in the film of same name, "Stupid is, stupid does", here rings ever so true...
    (embarrassed) Geo

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I wonder if you had shot yourself in the foot and had to go to the emergency room, would the doctors have contacted the police. I hear they are mandated to call the cops whenever someone comes in with a gunshot wound but, I'm not sure if that applies with pellet guns.

Good to hear you weren't injured.

HollowPoint

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, HollowPoint, for your kind sentiments! This PCP pistol performs best for me when filled to 2,500psi, down to roughly 1,500. I had not fired it since Spring, and the pressure had dropped to its lowest still most-of-time threshold -- around 500psi. As the pressure indicating needle was NOT in the workable zone, I ignored it, also forgetting that at very low pressures, the air valve is opened by a "whisper" on the trigger. Indeed, I can not reinforce how LUCKY I was to have the H&N animal pellet hit a braided rug on concrete floor, rather than any part of me! At normal fill pressure ranges, pellets may go clean through a squirrel at ~45 - 50 feet. Albeit the pressure was ever so low -- I still shudder what results may have been, had either foot been hit. Re "hospital", great question; happy, too, I did not become a test case re reporting of an air gun pellet hit.
    geo

Boolit Master

Glad to hear your and no one else were hurt.

Was the discharge because the scope mount prevented the sear to fully set when you pulled the bolt back?

I have two marauder rifles, hence my interest.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Moderator Emeritus

clodhopper -- I cannot give a "correct" answer to your good question -- sorry. I wish I could. As a Hunter Safety/Firearms instructor for many, many years, I do in fact practice what I preach -- including never having a finger in trigger guard UNTIL immediately before the choice is made to squeeze the trigger therein. I DO know my finger was not in said guard. The front scope mount ring is about 1/8" in front of magazine opening; with other almost at most rearward section of milled dovetail. On account of front ring's closeness, I elected to try insertion of a magazine, which (stupidly) had eight pellets in it. For whatever (???) reason, I held PCP out, FORTUNATELY maintaining muzzle awareness -- so when it discharged, the pellet struck a rug on floor, almost precisely between my socked (I hate shoes!) feet -- I was leaning back in chair, with legs extended. My "plan" is to do some scouting/plinking at camp Thursday afternoon -- and, have full intentions to try and replicate the AD -- to not have it occur again, God willing -- for me to try and ascertain what "went wrong". Should I get an answer, I'll post here, and/or PM you.
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

clodhopper -- I went to range, and could NOT get it to AD (good!)! However, I did notice that when I hooked air compressor Foster fitting up, there was no sound from airgun. However, after pressure rose just a bit, there was a quite pronounced "click". The "wheels are turning" in my noggin that perhaps below a certain pressure, stability is lost. I've never done it, but I understand (from instruction sheet) that if one over-fills, the valve seals seal and a procedure using their degassing tool is specified. Maybe the springs pressure at the other end -- low pressure -- causes a scenario conducive to an occurrence as I had experienced?
    Today I started at roughly 2,500 psi, and went down to about 1,000... Had my fingers not gotten cold (47* out), I would have reduced pressure to check it out. But, did not. Anyhoos -- perhaps my AD was indeed a fluke; and I'm still happy I sustained no injury. I did find the H&N 18.5g Hunter pellet which got pretty flattened from impact on concrete -- double happy it was not a foot.
    geo

Boolit Master

Good to hear. Nice day here. The first in a while.

Fired the .17 marauder 50 times off the deck this morning.

Got 239/250 on an Appleseed AQT, Then fired 10 standing at a ripe dandelion. Half of the dandelion is still out there at about 20 yards.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper