WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Svarog Botfly Range results here

Svarog Botfly Range results here

I like this slug. Same as the Kontarevea slug but with a 3 segmented hollowpoint.

They take away from this is make sure you center you slug as square as possible when attaching the wad.

https://youtu.be/1sC4_Er5KiI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

next go around could you show the slug by itself before loading, i like to see the different styles
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    next go around could you show the slug by itself before loading, i like to see the different styles
    Got ya right here, brother.

https://youtu.be/n9M8LBupjB4

Boolit Master

thanks
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Cool results!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned
    It was kind of scary to watch the Gun powder bottle near the bottom pour furnace, I know it was empty but still ! !

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 10-01-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    It was kind of scary to watch the Gun powder bottle near the bottom pour furnace, I know it was empty but still ! !

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Yeah, it’s filled with shot.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Great Video Mr BT... loved it.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

BT: I missed it are the H&R Shotguns Rifled or Smoothbore?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    BT: I missed it are the H&R Shotguns Rifled or Smoothbore?

Randy
    Rifled. Very, very accurate. That’s what I was saying on the other post about the Lyman 525. They shot great from this rifled barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Great Video Mr BT... loved it.
    Thank you, brother.

Randy: Not Leon here but hope this helps. I own a NEF Pardner Tracker II single shot break barrel. It has 10ga OD barrel bored to 12ga. and is rifled. I know H&R has many smooth bores. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Yes BT great video as always!

I have to try that style of attached wad with screw though nose rather than screw from the backside... in my experience that is a no go! Should work okay with "solid" wads like Brenneke uses but not cushion legs.

Those Russians are pretty innovative with all the shotgun slugs they are producing. Not sure but I don't think there are any sort of gun restrictions in Russia. They do seem to focus on slugs though.

Is the Botfly the same basic slug as the 4 segment one or somewhat different? Weight? I'll do a search to see what I can find. Haven't heard of it before.

I'm wishing I had bought an H&R when they were available. No-one makes similar now. I like that bull barrel.

Longbow

On the Screwed together wad and slug, I trued my slugs up by opening the hole in the end in my lathe. I also drilled the pilot hole in my BW12 wads in the lathe so they are also true and in addition I cut the front lip of the gas seal off so it wouldn't affect the way the slugs sits on the wad..

My Russian Slugs are slightly different in that they are the ones with the truncated cone nose and two big grease grooves. The mould does three versions, one with a screw hole with wad and screw 590 gr, one with a hole for the plug in wads 580 gr with wad, and one that has a tapered hole in the back that is like a solid and weighs 625 gr!

I haven't shot any of these yet as I'll need to get the Lead Sled back to shoot them. They need powder coating as well or they will lead the rifled barrels.

These things will pound anything they hit to smithereens. 1 3/8 oz !

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-01-2019 at 09:56 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

On the Screwed together wad and slug, I trued my slugs up by opening the hole in the end in my lathe. I also drilled the pilot hole in my BW12 wads in the lathe so they are also true and in addition I cut the front lip of the gas seal off so it wouldn't affect the way the slugs sits on the wad..

My Russian Slugs are slightly different in that they are the ones with the truncated cone nose and two big grease grooves. The mould does three versions, one with a screw hole with wad and screw 590 gr, one with a hole for the plug in wads 580 gr with wad, and one that has a tapered hole in the back that is like a solid and weighs 625 gr!

I haven't shot any of these yet as I'll need to get the Lead Sled back to shoot them. They need powder coating as well or they will lead the rifled barrels.

These things will pound anything they hit to smithereens. 1 3/8 oz !

Randy
    I have that same mold with the center pins. I also have a couple thousand of those Russian tail wads. Haven’t played around with it much.

However, I did with the Italian “Fire hydrant” slug and Russian tail wads. Those are really accurate as well.

I've had very good results with the slug Randy pictured above both with the pressed in tail wad and with the hollow base version filled with hot glue and load stack X12X, brush wad, 20ga nitro card and a roll crimp. I haven't fired any at 100 yrds. yet but at fifty they tore a ragged hole three inches wide with one shot an inch above the rest and centered on the ones below. (Tail wad version) Glue filled were farther right on target with a vertical group 4" high by 2" wide. Gp

These things are so heavy at 580-625 gr, if they are running near 1200 fps they are going to be suitable for stopping anything up to light trucks!

LB is always looking for Bear Loads,,, well a few of these in your gun will definitely stop any Bear.

These could be loaded up to where they compete with Brenneke Black Magic or Magnum Crush slugs which are 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 oz. The Magnum Crush slugs are loaded to 1600 fps and have a TKO of 110 !!!!! Which is 1.5 times that of a .458 Win Mag! Definitely good enough for Dinosaurs. With these slugs loaded to 1200 fps they have a TKO of 75 which is still above the .458 Win Mag.

I can't imagine firing one of the Brenneke's in my M500 as I think it would break my shoulder, but it's good to know that we "can" get close to those loads with home made ammo if we want to..

Those Brenneke's come in 5 round boxes and I bet there is alot of them sitting in gun cabinets with 4 rounds left in the box.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-02-2019 at 01:27 PM.

As Randy says, your shoulder will give you a stopping point well before you'll stress your shotgun when firing these slugs. I've chronographed them at 1200fps with as little as 33gr. Blue Dot and have fired them with 40gr. Blue dot with out signs of over pressure but it isn't something I'd like to spend time plinking with. Gp

Boolit Master

These could be loaded up to where they compete with Brenneke Black Magic or Magnum Crush slugs which are 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 oz. The Magnum Crush slugs are loaded to 1600 fps and have a TKO of 110 !!!!!
    Yep, I chronoed those heavy TC slugs@ 1500 fps from 18" Benelli M3 Super 90. Vihtavuori 3N37.

I'll need to redo quite a bit of my last winter shotgun loads because a SD card failed... pics and data gone... But that particular load I do remember for both good accuracy and ...err...stupid recoil,yes that's the word.