Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What power scope do you use ?

Boolit Buddy
    I have three serious hunting rifles, all Model 70 Winchesters. The .257 Roberts Featherweight mounts a long discontinued 4 power Leupold compact with a plex reticle. The .30-06 has Herters 3x9 with a Shepherd reticle. The Model 70 in .375 H&H wears an old steel tube 2.5x Weaver with a plex reticle. There is an M-4gery that sports an M68 red dot. A vintage AN/PVS-2 is sometimes mounted on an M1A with mixed results. While I can no longer hear the characteristic high pitched whine of the power supply, I believe that the coyotes can, even at a couple hundred meters.

Boolit Bub
    I also have old eyes. 68. Minimum 2x7 for hunting type rifles. Have a couple 4x16 on varmit type rifles and A 6x24 on my Ruger presision rifle. one target .22 with a 36x. cant hit anything with irons anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Gaterskiner View Post
    I also have old eyes. 68. Minimum 2x7 for hunting type rifles. Have a couple 4x16 on varmit type rifles and A 6x24 on my Ruger presision rifle. one target .22 with a 36x. cant hit anything with irons anymore
    Well I am 69 can't see the iron sights anymore myself. I have 4to 12 on most of my rifles because they are the cheaper scopes but work for me. Have 1 6 to 24 I use on a 17 rem . thinking of putting a Red Dot on a squirrel rifle but not sure.

Boolit Bub
    i like the idea of a red dot. but when i look through one i see a campfire instead of a dot. damned old eyes.

gater: you are probably not lined up behind the optic properly. All of them will distort the dot image if you are not directly behind and in line with the Optic. Makes a huge difference.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Moderator Emeritus

For small game and varmits I like a 3x9 or 4x12 at 100-200 yards. Gophers can hide behind grass clumps not seen in 4x . For big game I use currently, 3x, 4x, 6x, 3x9 and 2x7. When walking in open country or broken hillsides I keep a scope on 5 or 6. In the timber it is on 3 or 4.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I have 22 Leupolds, well over half of which are 3-9s. All are the old gloss VX-II, Compact EFR, and 3-9 AO. The rest are a mixture of pistol scopes, a couple of fixed lower power, and both fixed and variable varmint/target type scopes. My favorite of then all is my first Leupold. purchased in 1969. It is the 3-9x40 VariX II with the old CPC reticule. It's on my 270 but since I don't hunt anymore, it seldom gets used.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234