Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What power scope do you use ?

What power scope do you use ?

What power scope do you like for 100 to 200 yards. When I was young a 4x would do, now that I am approaching 70 it takes a little more.

Super Moderator

Most of my rifles have scopes that fit their intended uses (for the most part). For most woods hunting a 3x9 fits the bill well for me, but for wide open country deer/antelope hunting I'll opt for a little higher power like a 4x12. On my Varmint rigs I use a Vortex 6.5x20. For 100-200 yards though, I think I'd still probably go with a 3x9. Some like fixed power scopes too, but I like the versatility of a high quality variable scope. A side parallax focus on the higher power models is a nice feature to have.

Banned

IMHO, a lot depends on what type of gun and what are your usage requirements for it and at what distances. a fave of mine is the SWFA SS 10x42 for rimfire or centerfire bolt action, any distance out to at least the longest i've used it, 700 yards. hard to beat that scope for its value, quality and price point. fixed power scopes are more rugged and simplistic to use, and back in the day were the faves of military snipers who typically fared well with 6x to 10x glass. the SWFA SS was originally a Navy military contract scope, too.

Boolit Grand Master

That depends on the rifles and intended uses for them. On my BPCR rifles its 3/4" tubed 6X scopes ( rules for BPCR silhouette). for hunting rifles it van be from 1 .5 X to around 6X varmint and target rifles or rifle strictly for use on the range 20-36x. I prefer 1" tubes and medium sized objectives. My favorite long range or testing scope is a 6-20 lepould target with side adjust parallax. On period guns a unertal in 15-20X does very good. I have a few scopes. But made my own mounts for a lot of rifles and move scopes from rifle to rifle. Once mounted and sighted the settings noted in my range book they repeat very well.

I am finding as I get older the higher magnifications make things much easier to see.

Boolit Master
    I too, prefer the simplicity of a fixed power scope. My favorite at this time, is the 6x36 Leupold scope. Ample magnification for detail, while still giving a decent field of view. Many people that have variables, just leave them on one power anyway, while the rest tend to fiddle with them too much.

Trouble is, the fixed power Leupolds, are seldom on sale, while the variables often are.

Boolit Master
    For my hunting a 2-7x does very nicely. For varmit/prairie dog, woodchuck A 3-9 is better. I don't like anything over 10 power. The 2-7 works on big game to 400yds or so and I don't shoot at game any further than that.

Boolit Grand Master
    Our camp rules are 8pt or better. So I need a higher power scope to see the racks even though ranges are normally under 275 yds with most shots under 150. For hunting does, a fixed 4x would be a good choice. I have a 4-12 mounted on the deer rifles.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I use a Meopta meopro 6-18x50 on my 7mm mag for whitetails, If I were to pick a favorite scope it would be a 4-16 x 50.

I don't get a chance to do much shooting over 100 yards much these days.

I'm split about half with 2x Red Dot sights which do quite well @75 yards and not bad at 100.

The other half vary from 1.5x5, 3x9's and a pair of 4x12's on my 2 best long range guns. Those higher power variables can walk all over those 3x9's at 100. I'm not 70 yet but in 4 short days I'll only be 3 years short of it.

RedDot sights are all Truglo, scopes are mostly Simmon's which have been good for me. And at around 60$ if I have to replace one It does not hurt so bad.

Boolit Master
    I use mostly use 2-7x's or 3-9x's. My rifled shotguns have 2-7x's as I am known to have let the deer climb into my stand before I shoot them, at the same time I have a 200yrd range with them so I like to have the 7x for the distance shots. I also use 2-7x's on the 22LR. Most of my centerfire rifles have 3-9x's one or two have a 4-12x. Not many places you can shoot more than 200yards or so here unless your hunting a field. Also most of my guns came with the scopes on them already and they seem to be matched perfectly for my usage.

I am liking what I am hearing.

My long range rifle( 25-06) wears a 4x12 Redfield, my truck gun 22-250 a 6x Burris, my 30-30 bolt gun gets a Weaver K4 for deer and a K10 for targets. The .250 Sav has a 3x9 Redfield; my .300BO and 7.62x39 ARs wear 4x Nikon and K4 respectively. The other ARs, M1 carbine, single shot 44-40 and Win 94 are peep sighted.
    6x has always been my favorite scope overall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Was going to put a 2to7 on one of my rifles and was wondering if it will work with my tired old eyes.
    Going to give it a try and see how I do. Most of my shooting now days is punching paper at 100 yards and a few times a year at 250 yards

My woods rifles LVs have reciever sights for average shots 100yds or less. I have a few pumps & autos with 3x.
    My BAs from 308 through 338 have mostly Leupold 6x. Small bore Varmit guns have from 10x to 16x. My 22s I hunt small game with have 4x top shelf models. I can abide varibles, had bad experiences with them back in 60s and don't trust them. If I could only have one scope would be 6x Leupold.

Boolit Mold
    Pretty much 4-12 or higher though I have a 3x9 on my 22lr, 17hmr savage and my 30-30. I've got a few 2 though 4x fixed power scopes, old weavers and bushnells. Considering 99% of my shooting is targets, they are kinda useless. Better than irons but you still have to use the spotting scope at 100 yards to see your group.

Boolit Grand Master

I use 1x to 40X depending on usage. For deer rifles 2.5 to 8 or 3.5 is the most common for me. For Antelope I prefer 6.5 to 20 mostly for judging the horns. My 17 HMR are mostly Weaver T-10's Most hunting handguns for me are 2x with a couple of 4x and on my XP100R 223 I use 4 to 12.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    There are several inescapable compromises with optics. One of those compromises is field of view is affected by the amount of magnification. In fact, everything in optics is a compromise: Weight, light transmission, field of view, eye relief, cost, magnification........it is all a compromise. No single aspect can be changed without affecting some other aspect. There's no free lunch when it comes to optics.

There's a tendency to seek higher magnification than needed and there is also a tendency to be fearful of fixed power scopes.

Pick the least amount of magnification you can live with and if you can live with a fixed power scope - you are better off.

Old 2.5x weaver on my deer rifle and a 2.5x prism on my AR
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Most of my long range deer rifles (100-150 yards...I don't shoot beyond that)....are topped with 3-9...walking kept on 3...in the stand set at 5....if I see one from a long way out I'll bump it up as necessary.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast