MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Just made a sling out of a pathfinder belt I’ve had since the 70’s!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Just made a sling out of a pathfinder belt I’ve had since the 70’s!

I believe the belt was bought for me a Moccasins in the Dells if my memory serves me correctly. My dad for some reason rubbed with with black shoe polish years ago. It use to be brown with tan animals. I kinda like the darker look. I rubbed it down with extra virgin olive oil a few times to recondition the leather and then put a coat of Johnson’s paste wax over it to waterproof it. I used a scissor to taper the ends so I could get some uncle Mikes swivels to fit. I also picked up some fancy Chicago screws to attach them. When I waxed the sling/belt I kept going over the animals to lighten them up a little so they “stick out” compared to the dark background. I think it turned out nice. I did not make it adjustable but it fits over my head nicely with a T-shirt on. Over the shoulder is fine as well. Not bad for $3 worth of Chicago screws. I have enough screws left over to make another sling, I just have to hunt for another belt. I got the idea while looking for a vintage Torel grizzly bear sling...that I just found on eBay and bought up along with another old vintage Torel pathfinder sling with bear,mountain lion, and elk prints on.

My vintage Torel grizzly bear sling showed today, decisions,decisions. I had to put some Wilson's Leather lotion on it to moisten up the strap and pad. It was a little stiff and dry.

And here is a vintage Torel pathfinder sling I found last week that was never used. I rubbed it down with some EV olive oil to soften and darken the leather strap and waxed it.

Before olive oil...

After...

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-30-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Looks nice, good job!

Boolit Grand Master
    Make sure you use some super glue or Locktite on those Chicago screws. They will work loose and the Bang--Clatter of your rifle bouncing off the deck will be your first intimation of that fact. (They always wait until your hands are occupied so you can't make a quick grab and prevent the fall.)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Cool recycling project.

Just out of curiosity- Could ya not use it for a belt any more because it shrank?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Great idea! For some reason repurposing an old belt as a sling never crossed my mind. Now I'll have to look through my possibles and see what I could use.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Cool recycling project.

Just out of curiosity- Could ya not use it for a belt any more because it shrank?
    Yep.lol

I believe it was bought for me when I was in 8th grade.