Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Garage Sale Find

Garage Sale Find

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Pic.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	249066

Garage sale find. I really hate to brag, but not that much.

All of the weights and ingots show to be COWW using the pencil hardness method. Tipped the scale at 102.5lbs. Paid $26.00. Best deal I ever found on lead.

By the way, that is my casting setup in the background and a few pills that I made that day.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Good find. I gave-up up on garage sales, just no luck at them. I guess I am spoiled with getting most of my WWs for free (:
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepvet View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead Pic.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	249066

Garage sale find. I really hate to brag, but not that much.

All of the weights and ingots show to be COWW using the pencil hardness method. Tipped the scale at 102.5lbs. Paid $26.00. Best deal I ever found on lead.

By the way, that is my casting setup in the background and a few pills that I made that day.
    Sweet!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I love that bag of chilled shot. Two thumbs up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Banned
    It is rather amazing how different various places in the country are for lead (and many other things).
    Where I live you get laughed at if you ask a tire or car place for wheel weights. They all have "contracts" with their people for many years. Garage sales are scoured by the avid fishermen looking for stuff including lead. They even have ads in the local flyers, craigs list, facebook and other places for "scrap lead wanted".
    I have driven over 50 miles to get soft lead for $1 per lb. There is on rare occasion someone selling lead for the near $1 price here but you may find 10lbs or so every couple of years.
    I see guys driving around to garages collecting buckets and barrels of wheel weights on youtube "down south". Around here that hasn't been available since the 1970's

Boolit Master

Green Weenies grow faster in some parts of the country than others.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I still get all the free wheel weights I could ever need from some of the local shops. I haven’t been to them in a while as I still have a few 5 gal pales I didn’t smelt yet along with a ton or two of smelted Coww and pure sitting in my garage I gave myself when I closed down a Sears auto center a few years back.

All I can say is it took me a month straight, 7 hours a day to smelt all my unused, NIB, COWWs. I’m not looking forward to doing it again anytime soon and will never use all the ignots I casted in my lifetime.

Next time I get a huge pile I’ll trade someone their time and labor for half the proceeds for smelting them and purchasing of the propane. After all that work I would have gladly paid $25 for already casted ignots like above. I wonder why they painted them red? I would’ve painted them gold.lol

If that chilled shot is BB size or bigger I’d be making some coyote loads!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-30-2019 at 02:47 PM.

The shot is 7.5 as I recall. Actually, all of the pictured lead was 102.5lbs and cost $25.00. The other $1.00 paid for two small plant buckets of COWW (maybe 10-15lbs total). The guy used to cast fishing sinkers for both fresh and salt water. I have no idea why he painted the ingots red and some blue. I was loading lead way too fast to ask any questions other than "Do you have any more lead you want to get rid of?)

He also had several sinker molds but he promised all of them to someone else just before I got there.

All of the tire shops around here either reuse the weights or scrap them and will not let you buy them. However, the one local indoor shooting range has let me clean out it's bullet trap twice in the past year and a half and gave me the range scraps for my labor. This range lead is full of rubber particles and fiber and takes a while to clean up. The first time I got a 55 gallon barrel full and the second time about 1 1/2 barrels full. That smelted down to about 2200lbs of lead ingots. I then sold the jackets to the local scrap yard for range scrapes and paid for all of my propane, my gas to drive 35 miles to the yard and had at least enough money left to eat a nice lunch.

So, just saying, I feel very blessed in the lead department. Now if I can just get the time to cast some boolits.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepvet View Post
    The shot is 7.5 as I recall. Actually, all of the pictured lead was 102.5lbs and cost $25.00. The other $1.00 paid for two small plant buckets of COWW (maybe 10-15lbs total). The guy used to cast fishing sinkers for both fresh and salt water. I have no idea why he painted the ingots red and some blue. I was loading lead way too fast to ask any questions other than "Do you have any more lead you want to get rid of?)

He also had several sinker molds but he promised all of them to someone else just before I got there.

All of the tire shops around here either reuse the weights or scrap them and will not let you buy them. However, the one local indoor shooting range has let me clean out it's bullet trap twice in the past year and a half and gave me the range scraps for my labor. This range lead is full of rubber particles and fiber and takes a while to clean up. The first time I got a 55 gallon barrel full and the second time about 1 1/2 barrels full. That smelted down to about 2200lbs of lead ingots. I then sold the jackets to the local scrap yard for range scrapes and paid for all of my propane, my gas to drive 35 miles to the yard and had at least enough money left to eat a nice lunch.

So, just saying, I feel very blessed in the lead department. Now if I can just get the time to cast some boolits.
    Wow you are quite a consumer of lead.
    I only need enough to do my 22lr experiments. A bit of a difference there. haha.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Most of the battery and or cleaning company’s give the shops credit and bring in empty replacement pales. You can always ask how much they are getting. The problem is “most” shops are honest and can’t ring up a retail sale if sold to you. I would just be nice and give a bucket a way once in a while in my shop.

Boolit Master
    very nice find.

some times the modern day is good sometimes bad.but once in a while you get the best of both.good luck lead hunting all