RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: hey rfd your upper made meat

Banned

hey rfd your upper made meat

took that 223wydle upper out last night with a 65 grain sierra prohunter loaded and shot three does. One made a leap and the other two piled right up. shots between a 100 and 250 yards. Had to kill something with it. By the way that bullet shoots moa in that upper. You wouldn't recognize it though. Everything but the barrel is fde. Havent shot a deer with a 556 in quite a few years. Not really a fan of doing it but this gun ended up so cool I had to shoot something with it.

Wait. A .223 will kill deer?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yes it will. But most states if not all, banned .22 caliber guns from being used to hunt big game. Michigan seems a bit iffy on their regulations for .22's though. But maybe it is legal to use a .22 Centerfire on deer.
    ref https://www.michigan.gov/documents/d...t_461177_7.pdf
    Last edited by Earlwb; 09-30-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master
    Far as I know, it's legal in Wisconsin. Have shot deer with .223 and .22-250, not a problem.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

I was just messing with the people who say that it won't. I have killed a few with a 223 but I have killed a bunch with a 22-250. Perfectly legal here in Texas.

Boolit Master
    .22 centerfire legal in La.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
    took that 223wydle upper out last night with a 65 grain sierra prohunter loaded and shot three does. One made a leap and the other two piled right up. Shots between a 100 and 250 yards. Had to kill something with it. By the way that bullet shoots moa in that upper. You wouldn't recognize it though. Everything but the barrel is fde. Havent shot a deer with a 556 in quite a few years. Not really a fan of doing it but this gun ended up so cool i had to shoot something with it.
    awesome! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	245 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	249086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	245 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	249086

Banned

guys im not a fan of it. Ive shot maybe a dozen in my life with 22 centerfires. Yup they all died but you can see just in there reaction that they not being hit by something like a 2506 or 270. Will I do it again? Maybe but not in deer season where I hunt in the woods. When there out 200 yards in a field it gives them plenty of time to die before they hit the thick stuff that's tough to track in. I also will only take perfect broad side shots where if Im using a real gun I have confidence I can drive a bullet into the vitals even at an angle. I guess it comes down to knowing that your dealing with a marginal round and respecting that.

Boolit Master
    I felt silly last year holding a 223 but I trusted the 70 grain Barnes and at 200 yard it worked as good as a 243. Still prefer a little bigger bore but a 223 will do it. Good meat from those deer, not heated up from running.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive got 62gr Barnes TTSX loaded up in my 223 for my son.

Banned

with good hunting skills and shot placement a .22LR has been known to consistently down moose DRT.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    guys im not a fan of it. Ive shot maybe a dozen in my life with 22 centerfires. Yup they all died but you can see just in there reaction that they not being hit by something like a 2506 or 270. Will I do it again? Maybe but not in deer season where I hunt in the woods. When there out 200 yards in a field it gives them plenty of time to die before they hit the thick stuff that's tough to track in. I also will only take perfect broad side shots where if Im using a real gun I have confidence I can drive a bullet into the vitals even at an angle. I guess it comes down to knowing that your dealing with a marginal round and respecting that.
    100% agreement

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I will also add that the .224" rounds are used from the stand, not pushing the brush or creek bottoms. I have bigger guns with bigger bullets for that.
    Lloyd, what do you do with all that meat from your control hunts? Down here, Hunters for the Hungry still costs 1/2 of the processing fee- so it would add up quick. Just curious- thanks.

Banned

eat a lot of it. About all my red meat including burger for the year is venison. Plus I usually make a 100lbs of summer sausage and 50lbs of snack sticks every year. My son probably makes 50lbs of jerky. Probably half of that sausage is given away to friends. When you figure a year like this one which was on the slow side where we ended up shooting 27. Figure that a huge doe nets about 40lbs of meat. Typical doe is 30lbs. and the fawns that we occasionaly shoot MIGHT give you 20lbs. So just figure 30 for an average (which is on the high side) that works out to 810lbs. Takes it down to about 600 Take out the ones we give to friends and family and call it 500 Now split that two ways and its say 250. so now your down to a side of beef off a SMALL cow. So I use a 100 to do that 150 lbs of sausage that leaves me a 150. Most years we shoot enough that I can make a 150lbs of burger too which is what we eat in a year. this year I will end up with about a 100lbs of steaks and roasts and 50 lbs of burger. Now years in the past weve shot as many as a bit over a 100. Those years we donated MANY to the food bank because you just get burned out on butchering. Gets to the point your family and friends just don't want anymore unless your willing to skin and quarter them for them. What some fail to realize is the work and cost in this. Get up at 7 and start skinning quartering and butchering two or three deer. Clean up your work area and its time to hit the road to go back again. One hour ride each way. Cost 20 bucks a day in gas. Wear and tear on my truck. EVER gutted and drug 50 deer in one year?? Get home about 10pm and hang deer take a shower and hit the rack and get up at 7 and start all over again. Do this for almost 2 months. Then figure if you don't shoot a deer at least every other night your loosing money (which in a few years its worked out to beef would have been cheaper) We have fun don't get me wrong. But its not ALL Fun. Its work and it cost money to do it. My buddy is probably smarter. He doesn't do any sausage. He makes mostly burger and it supplys burger for his family and his daughters family for the year. Lets talk sausage. Even if I call the venison free it cost me about 3 bucks a lb to make plus A lot OF WORK! Don't get me wrong. Im not crying or complaining. I do it because I want to and usually its profitable. But I do chuckle at guys who ask me what I do with more then 2 or three deer a year. Your talking less then a 100lbs of meat. We had a 6 kids in our family growing up and a 100lbs of meat was lucky to last a month.

Kudos to you all that work would be exhausting for sure.

Boolit Master
    YES SIR! The real work starts after you pull the trigger.

Banned

first batch of summer sausage and snack sticks were done yesterday. 50 lbs summer sausage and 25 lb snack sticks. That will be half of what I do this year. Finished yesterday and after running to the farm to give the owners what I usually give them ill be left with 5lbs of snack sticks and 3 sticks of summer sausage (out of 18). Good thing is out of the next batch I just have to give away maybe 10 percent to family and the neighbor. By the way that's another two days of meat prepping and another two days of smoking. Could be worse I guess. I could have to go to work!!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Yes it will. But most states if not all, banned .22 caliber guns from being used to hunt big game. Michigan seems a bit iffy on their regulations for .22's though. But maybe it is legal to use a .22 Centerfire on deer.
    ref https://www.michigan.gov/documents/d...t_461177_7.pdf
    Parts of lower MI are restrictive on rifles. Up where Loyd lives, those rules don't apply. I had to read the regs a few times to sort it out.

Banned

yup as far as I know the only rule up here is it has to be centerfire.