WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: 1.25"-18tpi OD 7/8-14 ID bushing for press. What does it fit?

1.25"-18tpi OD 7/8-14 ID bushing for press. What does it fit?

With a bunch of reloading stuff I picked up is a bushing that is in a Herter's box, Tried it in my RCBS A3 no luck. Got out the caliper and the thread pitch gauge and it shows a diameter close enough to be 1.25 OD, thread pitch, well lighted and under low magnification looks like 18. It's looks brand new, it's knurled, not a hex head like the RCBS bushing.

Any clues on what/who's magic reloading machine it goes on?

Standard die threads right in.

I have one on an old Lyman Comet C press. Lyman made shot shell reloading dies that fit the press , the bushing was for 7/8x 14 dies. Got the press around 1965.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    I looked up the specs on my Redding Boss and it’s listed as 1.25” x12 tip so that rules that out.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned
    15meter, it's in a Herter's box, means it fits a Herter's press and early Hollywood's. A majority of Herter's press's have that bushing. Turret presses can have any number of large die openings, requiring the bushing. Some of the early RCBS "A" presses used it as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since it's in a Herter's box, it is probably for the one of the various Herter's presses that took the larger dies then used this adaptor to take standard 7/8X14 dies. There was even another adaptor available to go directly from the large Herter's thread size all the way down to the smaller Ideal 310 thread size. I've got a couple of these kicking around in my curiosity drawer.

It seems like folks that made oversize dies couldn't agree on thread sizes for their "big" dies, so there were proprietary die sets to load shot shells (and perhaps large metallics like 50 BMG) possibly available from each manufacturer. I wish the Herters adaptor would fit the Lyman Comet as I have one that I had to dog rob the adaptor from to use with my All American that came to me set up as a 16 ga press with no adaptor for standard shells.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

This was dead guy stuff being sold by his son. Being in a Herter's box isn't a lock on being Herter's. He had Herter's dies in RCBS boxes and vice-versa. Forster collets in RCBS boxes, Lyman H&I dies and top punches in a Bulova watch box, that kind of organization.

It's black oxide and the finish almost looks too nice for Herter's.

Probably should have noted that on the original post.

Regardless, when I get done sorting all this stuff, and I get off my duff, it'll end up in the S&S section. I don't need this stuck in a drawer for my daughter to have to get rid of. Already have a 24x32 and a 32x100 plus a couple of smaller buildings for her to have to sort out.

What's the old saying about accumulated "stuff" expands to fill all available space?

Banned
    Nicely finished, black oxide and a Herter's box, you can bet your bank account it's Herter's.

I left out Lachmiller. They were first on the Market with shotgun dies in using 1-1/4x18 threads. Herter"s copied them a year and a half later. Hollywood also had a shotgun die set on the market about the same tome as Herter's using the same thread. Side by side the three dies all look the same. If Lachmiller made them all and stamped another name is not understood yet.

The Herter's bushings in their box are very common and not scarce. Bushings form Hollywood and Lachmiller never turn up separately.

Now, Herter's packed their dies in a pastebaord box that was somewhat flimsy. It's very common to fin them in RCBS boxes.
    Last edited by Pressman; 09-30-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I have an old CH H press. It has the 1.25" by 18 TPI top plate. I've been looking for one of these adapters.

Let me know when you list it for sale.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	310 to All American.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	291271

Same story here. I thought it was for the old red Lyman All American turret but it was in a box filled with other Herter stuff, so I think it fits the old Herter press. The thread is 1.25x18 on the outside and Lyman 310 inner.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro-express View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	310 to All American.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	291271

Same story here. I thought it was for the old red Lyman All American turret but it was in a box filled with other Herter stuff, so I think it fits the old Herter press. The thread is 1.25x18 on the outside and Lyman 310 inner.
    I have a couple like that myself. I wish they did fit a Lyman press! I’ve even considered rethreading my orphan Lyman Comet press to Herter’s pattern just to make it usable once again.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I have the Lachmiller press that it fits.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow