Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Repro lever for my original 1886. Which brand?

Repro lever for my original 1886. Which brand?

I already posted this on the leverguns thread but this might be a better place.
    Long story short: I want to make a large loop lever for my 1886. What repro brand fits original specs? Chiappa? taylor's? Thanks.

Boolit Master

No eBay links, period
    Last edited by Pressman; 10-29-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: No ebay links, period

Boolit Master
    Unnecessary comment

Kev
    Winter is comin on -----make one ----files - hacksaw - drill - emery paper - IMAGINATION - PATIENCE.
    we can hand make parts for these old guns - need to understand the function of every little nick and notch in a winchester -
    think of the satisfaction if you post us a picture march next year of your 86 with a big loop lever that works and looks like a bought one !! -----if you get it done you will know the innards of an 1886 like no one else on this forum.
    Last edited by Pressman; 10-29-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Unnecessary comment

Might be a Model 71 lever would work with modification and be cheaper but hey, maybe not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pressman; 10-29-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Kev
    Winter is comin on -----make one ----files - hacksaw - drill - emery paper - IMAGINATION - PATIENCE.
    we can hand make parts for these old guns - need to understand the function of every little nick and notch in a winchester -
    think of the satisfaction if you post us a picture march next year of your 86 with a big loop lever that works and looks like a bought one !! -----if you get it done you will know the innards of an 1886 like no one else on this forum.
    I know... I just work alot and have no experience making parts. Like you said... It would be by hand. I don't have a milling am chine or a lathe! I jsut wanted to buy a standard loop and make it big. But I need to take out a bank loan for that it seems.

Turning an existing standard loop into a big loop is a common chore that should be able to be handled at a reasonable price by any gunsmith who's not just a parts-changer or an AR assembler.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

That gunsmith fee may be higher then you think. He will have to cut the original loop, possible heat it to allow bend to shape, weld in a piece of steel. Grind down the steel and polish it, then hot blue the loop. Might be cheaper to pay the $ 144.00 for a new replacement.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I know... I just work alot and have no experience making parts. Like you said... It would be by hand. I don't have a milling am chine or a lathe! I jsut wanted to buy a standard loop and make it big. But I need to take out a bank loan for that it seems.
    the catch is you have the good sense to want to keep your original lever intact - keep lookin - stay patient - maybe somewhere out there is a busted lever that needs a new loop made for it - I found one years ago for a 92 - made one of those stupid big loops like in the rifleman TV show -with the little latch gadget that fired the rifle as the lever closed - man we had some fun till the cost of the wasted ammo started to bite - still got that clunky lever in my parts bin.

Never in a million years will i pay someone to make a large loop... Its pretty simple. I just need a loop to cut! Im not sure if repros have the same internals and dimension.

Boolit Master
    Never in a million years will i pay someone to make a large loop... Its pretty simple. I just need a loop to cut! Im not sure if repros have the same internals and dimension.
    Kev
    Ya misread me - I found an old lever that the whole loop bit was busted off (just where the finger loop morphs into the trigger guard bit) someone had leaned it when the action either jammed on an overload or was stuck shut. If you could get lucky and fine one like that its simple to weld a loop on ---slim chance I know .....

Chiappa claims they are a direct copy of the 86 innards and looks to be - I have a chiappa 86 but dont have access to an original to make the comparison -

Also have a Browning 71 - lots of internal differences there to the Chiappa and even when compared to an original 71

Chiappa is where I would look for a new replacement - sadly no guarantees but maybe the company would help out ? All you need to know is if they are dimensionally tha same.

The Chiappa parts drawing looks identical to an original Winchester - I have had mine apart numerous times and there are no changes to the internals I can see

No lawyer safeties - no rebound firing pin - it looks like a proper one. Needed some work but now thats done it works like a real one too.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)

Boolit Master
    Homestead price is about as good as could be expected for an original part in decent condition - we not talkin about a cheap gun here - - I was Kev I think I open the wallet on this one (or can the project)

Homestead price is about as good as could be expected for an original part in decent condition - we not talkin about a cheap gun here - - I was Kev I think I open the wallet on this one (or can the project)
    I ordered multiple times off of Homestead parts. Sadly it is out of stock. I looked there first. Il probably try the other one .

Well after doing some research I ordered a lever. We'll see if/when I get it if it fits!

Boolit Master
    Kev
    I am curious what you ended up doing - saw Chiappa lever (new part) on their site a couple days ago for a tad under $100 (U$) - or the big loop one for a few bucks more. It would be super nice if that fit straight in an original gun!
    Cheers
    Joe

Kev
    I am curious what you ended up doing - saw Chiappa lever (new part) on their site a couple days ago for a tad under $100 (U$) - or the big loop one for a few bucks more. It would be super nice if that fit straight in an original gun!
    Cheers
    Joe
    I ordered the standard lever, but my order has been on hold since Wednesday last week. Soim not sure what's happening. I'm anxious to try it. Last time I took apart my gun it took me hours just to align the lever, bolt firing pin, and ejector all into that one little hole. I'm scared to take it apart just because of that. The ejector spring pushes everything forward. I was told to try and add a case in the ejector, similar to how they pull the bolt out of a bolt action rifle with the brass still in the ejector.

Boolit Master
    I ordered the standard lever, but my order has been on hold since Wednesday last week. Soim not sure what's happening. I'm anxious to try it. Last time I took apart my gun it took me hours just to align the lever, bolt firing pin, and ejector all into that one little hole. I'm scared to take it apart just because of that. The ejector spring pushes everything forward. I was told to try and add a case in the ejector, similar to how they pull the bolt out of a bolt action rifle with the brass still in the ejector.
    Kev
    My Chiappa will come apart with the lever attached to the bolt - none of the videos show that - and its a fiddle to do it - but makes the whole process much easier once you figure it out.
    Biggest problem I had was getting the carrier hook assembly to stay put when I re assembled it. They are complicated thats for sure - dont ever force anything - spend some time figuring out why that bit (whatever it is) dont want to co operate - it took me a couple hours the first time round - I had worked on a Browning 71 before that and reckon I could almost do a 92 blindfold. The 86 got easy after about the fifth time - I put a dab of thick grease on the carrier hook now.
    Try that fiddle with the lever assembled to the bolt - it works on mine. You done it once - good job! - will never be that hard again.

Kev
    My Chiappa will come apart with the lever attached to the bolt - none of the videos show that - and its a fiddle to do it - but makes the whole process much easier once you figure it out.
    Biggest problem I had was getting the carrier hook assembly to stay put when I re assembled it. They are complicated thats for sure - dont ever force anything - spend some time figuring out why that bit (whatever it is) dont want to co operate - it took me a couple hours the first time round - I had worked on a Browning 71 before that and reckon I could almost do a 92 blindfold. The 86 got easy after about the fifth time - I put a dab of thick grease on the carrier hook now.
    Try that fiddle with the lever assembled to the bolt - it works on mine. You done it once - good job! - will never be that hard again.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. If I don't get an order update by the end of the week, il contact them.

Turns out I had to accept an export fee... They'll send it whenever possible.