Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s on my brass?

Boolit Master

What’s on my brass?

I’ve seen this before and I figured it was some excess lube (from a poor job on my part leaving lube all over the bullet nose) that was either around the neck of the case during firing or maybe blew back on the case with the very low pressure loads.
    12 grains of unique in a 45/70 with various bullets.
    Or maybe that the new dryer sheets that I was using was leaving some residue on some of the cases.
    Either way the old dirty media and dirty brass was leaving it’s fine nasty particles all over my brass. Not every piece though. Maybe 15% of the batch. Which makes me think the lube that was on the outside of the brass during firing.

Then again It also left a coating on the inside of the Lyman tumbler bowl.

I cleaned the cases with some ballistol easy enough and the bowl was scrubbed with some alcohol and a bit of chore boy.
    All clean now.
    So what do you think caused this? I’m sure if anyone has seen it before it’s going to be a member of this forum.
    Needless to say I’m ordering a new 50# bag of media this week. This stuff is shot.
    Thanks everyone!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	295E3525-D077-4068-B3F6-8B33D3E367A5.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	249056

Boolit Master
    I use Nufinish in my vibratory tumbler, and I have to let the tumbler run empty for half to one hour before adding the brass. Otherwise, the Nufinish does not mix properly, and the brass ends up looking like yours.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I use Nufinish in my vibratory tumbler, and I have to let the tumbler run empty for half to one hour before adding the brass. Otherwise, the Nufinish does not mix properly, and the brass ends up looking like yours.
    That’s possible. I do use my finish. I tend to mix it really well in a big batch of media before I do any tumbling.

Also this last batch was tumbled in media that hasn’t had any Nu Finish added in 3 or 4 batches.

Tumbling dust and polish. It'll come off with a long tumbling session. I've gotten the same thing using cabelas polish. My media was loaded with it.

Boolit Master

Those cases look like something that happened to me once.
    I had a box of once-fired .44Mag brass, came from an acquaintances estate. Brass was from the early 1960's, Beautiful Remington box. Well anyway.
    I dumped the brass into my Thumblers tumbler #10.
    The Thumblers tumbler picked that moment to crap all over me. The rubber coating inside of the tub disintegrated. It stuck to the brass cases inside and out. As if it was glued on. I had scrape it off the outside and inside. Most people would have just chucked the brass, being stubborn I scrapped the brass clean. About 3 cases a week.

And the old tub ? I called Thumblers for a new tub. They wanted $75.00 (this was 15yrs ago) plus shipping of $20.00. More then I had paid for the tumbler 8yrs previously.
    So I called up Lyman and ordered a 2200 tub.
    $25.00 shipped. Stuck it on the Thumblers motor base. And away I went.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I run something like that on a Lee Zip Trim and some fine steel wool if there are not too many cases like that.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I've had media clog up with oils, wax, etc.

I washed it in gasoline and laid it out on newspaper to dry.
    Let the gas settle for a day or two, pour it off the mud, and do it again.

It worked for me.

I'd wash that brass in gasoline or lacquer thinner first also before I got violent with it.
    That crud may wash off.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    It might just be dirty cleaner media and cases that were sized with a case lube that remained a little sticky. Lightly stick the case mouth on a tapered punch in a drill and use solvent and a rag to lightly spin the case to remove the residue. You might consider changing the media, it looks a bit overloaded with rouge.

Boolit Master

Polishing media or wax just like CastingFool said. I after adding I let machine run over 15 minutes, often more, until those "clumps" are mixed into the media. If the casings won't clean up with soaking in hot soapy water, let them dry and hit with a bit of gasoline.

I see it helps to put a dryer sheet that is cut up in the media when you tumble. Help to cut the dust and some of that is in the photo.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I see it helps to put a dryer sheet that is cut up in the media when you tumble. Help to cut the dust and some of that is in the photo.
    It does wonders to cut the dust. I had read to only use sheets that had already been used in the dryer. Not sure why. I snitch mine out of the trash at the laundromat.

I had not thought it might speed up integrating the polishing media. Will try that.

Boolit Master

This batch did have dryer sheets in there but new sheets not used.

I ran the batch for about 3 hours as ai usually do.

The red is some old walnut media that I got in a big reloading tool purchase one time. I think it was lyman and was walnut preloaded with some type of cleaner

Boolit Master

That used to happen when I used Lyman Tuff Nut walnut media. When I switched to corn cob with NuFinish it stopped doing that.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

To determine if your media additives are causing this, try some new media, without any additives (auto polish, dryer sheets, etc.). The only reason I use any auto polish/wax is to leave a very light film to combat tarnish...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Kind of looks like they had vinegar on them, causing the copper to separate.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

I've never seen nuthin like that.
    But if that was after tumbling and it cleaned off easy...I agree with your assessment to clean the tumbler and dispose of the old media. I use mineral spirits to clean the tumbler bowl, when needed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I get residue like that at times with my straight walled pistol cases(38 special and 45ACP) when I used tumble lube on the boolits. I tend to use more lube on them than I should.
    Some of it blows back onto the cases with lighter loads. Probably gets on the chamber walls as well.
    It can be difficult to take off without a chemical cleaner of some sort.

In Remembrance

Michael, in my opinion, dryer sheets (new or used) are a waste, total waste, of time, effort, and materials.
    I mean, why not throw an old shirt in there, hoping to somehow absorb old crap from the polishing/cleaning process?

Here's how I do it:

1) As was mentioned by someone else, put new media in your bowl.
    2) NO BRASS YET. . .
    3) Add a couple of capfuls of NuFinish car polish. It's a polymer polish, no micro abrasives and no alkaline additives. This add-in provides polished brass with a clear plastic coating, which will keep the brass shiny for months (even here in th humid weather of Florida.)
    4) Add a few splashes of mineral spirits (paint thinner). This add-in helps dissolve the soot and powder residue.
    5) Run the media (no brass) for about 1/2 hour to allow the additives to get absorbed into the media (btw, I prefer crushed walnut shell)
    6) Empty the bowl of all media
    7) Fill the bowl 1/2 full of brass. The volume of brass is very important. Most people underfill the brass into the bowl. It's not the weight of the media pressing against the brass that does the job. It's the weight of the brass, pressing the media into the brass, that makes it go faster and better. If you don't have enough brass to polish to get to 1/2 full (doesn't matter what size bowl you have, fill it 1/2 full!), then re-polish some brass that's already done.
    8) Add in the media, covering to full bowl. Remember that the brass is hollow, and will fill with media.

IF you over use media, it will eventually get crushed into dust. That's as big an issue as the media getting dirty with sand, grit, soot, and chemicals from polishing. That looks (to my eye) like what happened to your media. Turned into dust, and you added something that caused the dust to stick to your brass. The crushed walnut shell seems to last longer than the corn cob media. I buy crushed walnut shell at the pet supply store. Look for the bags of it that are used for lizards/snakes for terrariums. I'v seen it on Amazon also. Harbor Freight also sells it in the area where they sell the sand blasting stuff. 25 pound box for about a buck a pound. Get the smaller of the two sizes that they sell. The pet shop version only comes in one granule size.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    This batch did have dryer sheets in there but new sheets not used.

I ran the batch for about 3 hours as ai usually do.

The red is some old walnut media that I got in a big reloading tool purchase one time. I think it was lyman and was walnut preloaded with some type of cleaner

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Grand Master

Your tumbling media is loaded up and needs to be replaced...looks like you add a bunch of "additives" like car wax and such....this will eventually gunk up the media , it leaves all that crud on the cases and no longer polishes... throw it out and replace it with Midway's Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaning and Polishing Treated Walnut Hull Media ..... you don't need to add anything untill the polishing slows down then add some Frankford Arsenal Liquid Brass Polish for tumblers...as directed.
    Adding all that liquid car wax gunks up the polishing media so it can't work.
    Use the products made for polishing brass not waxing cars .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have seen this on "new" old stock Starline brass a few times from different sources. I obtained it like that. Never any other brand of brass. Not saying anything about Starline, I like and use their brass and none of the stuff I have bought from them looked like that. However it makes me want to check the odd calibers I bought a few years back and have stored just to see...
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast