Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder containers

Boolit Master

A word of caution about re-purposing powder containers.
    I buy Bullseye powder in 8 lb. Jugs. I pour out a lb. or so into a one pound jug and use out of that container. With extended use the seal in the lid will be cut and separate. This happens when the seal is mashed between the lid and jug. This seal was foam and not paper.
    A sliver of the seal got into the powder. This sliver was large enough to block the powder measure on my Star reloader. The first time I thought it was the powder bridged and shut off the powder supply. I poured the powder through a powder funnel to see if I could see any lumps of powder. No lumps so I thought I was good to go. It happened a second time. This time I poured the powder through a fine sieve and found the part of the seal in the powder.
    I had to pull several hundred bullets to correct the problem.
    Also finding the problem caused some gray hair. I have loaded 30+ years on the Star without a problem. It was difficult to analyse when what you have been doing 30 years goes bad.

Boolit Master
    I only use the plastic powder containers for storage of powders that I either only use frequently or have only a pound or so left. My last container of IMR 4350 was one of the metallic ones and after so many years didn't trust the seal on the lid. gave the metal one to a friend who collects them. Frank

In Remembrance

I have WC-846 that is in what appears to be one gallon bleach jug, the jugs that size will hold 8 pounds of powder.

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests wide mouth peanut butter jugs (believe its a good plastic? You'll have to check! I know they hold gasoline Just Fine!)
    Metal 2 cycle gas jugs with screw on tops should be GREAT!

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with anti-freeze bottles. Clean the bottle thoroughly and make sure it is completely dry. Wrap 2-3 layers of masking tape around the bottle and brand both sides of it with the powder ID. These bottles stack nicely on a shelf and after 20+ years of storing powder in them I have never had an incident of powder going bad in them.

Moderator Emeritus

During the shortage of 93 a friend bought a 33 lb keg of powder. I bought 4 lbs off of him that he gave me in a 2 liter pop bottle. i kept it out of the light and in a constant temperature and it shot without any chronographed variations for a decade. H4831.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I use cans from here

https://www.houseofcans.com/metal-co...13r717mj37b9k5

I like the 1 pint and use the metal seal available for them. I spray the outside of them with paint first and then fill and seal. Just like the old time powder cans!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    The very first pound of powder I bought was a pound Hodgdon 4831, that was sold in a paper coffee bag. I wish I had kept that coffee sack.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    I used a smaller hydrogen peroxide bottle, relabeled, for some Titegroup powder I got from a bunch of puled down pistol ammo. Dark brown color.

Boolit Master
    I continue to follow this thread and, again, thank all for the comments and suggestions. Leaving Friday and I will be away for a week or three hunting with my sons so will check again when I get back.
    R.D.M.

I rarely can stomach buying just a pound of powder at the local gun store's $35/pound rate, so I've been using HDPE containers that contained "Country Time Lemonade" and related off-brand sugary drinks. They usually hold more than a pound of powder unless you're talking flake/shotgun powders.

The container mouth is a couple inches in diameter and somewhat flexible. There is no gasket or seal that can separate.

They've been in production for at least 15 years without any changes to the packaging, so any time I pick up a new powder there's another container a few beverages away...

I don't care that they're not opaque, I don't leave them in the sun or where the lights are on all the time. I usually use sharpie felt tip markers to label them. A little acetone and the marker can be removed and re-labeled. HDPE is virtually solvent-proof in my experience.

If you're concerned about your containers being exposed to light, Just store them in a dark place.

I've put bulk powder for the .50BMG in a vacuum type freezer bag, then in a cardboard box I keep in the garage refrigerator.
    3-4 years later, it seems fine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Several years ago, before his untimely passing, Junior Doughty posted an article where he mentioned re-purposing small pint milk bottles to hold smaller amounts of powder. He spray painted the milk bottles black. I use empty Ensure bottles for the same purpose. They are somewhat smaller than a pint but work for me. It does take a while to get the smell of Ensure out.

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/wc820.htm
    John
    W.TN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12