Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder containers

Boolit Master

Powder containers

Is there any downside to using clear or white plastic containers to store excess powder? I have been gifted several one pound containers of smokeless gunpowder. Several of the containers are in poor to really bad shape but the powder appears to be fine. I would like to transfer the contents of the damaged containers into something else but I am unsure of what might be appropriate.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

blackthorn I seem to recall that the containers need to be opaque such that light cannot get to the powder since that can degrade it. I think that is why powder containers are usually in black. I save my old canisters when I empty one and re-purpose it. You might put out an inquiry on here and I'll say you might be able to come up with some if you don't have anything suitable. Would probably cost your some postage though.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Hi. I've noticed that powder containers are almost always opaque, so I'm wondering if there's a light sensitivity to powder (like with beer.) I'd say the white containers should be okay, but would probably not use the clear. Ed

Boolit Master
    Some plastics can be damaged by smokeless powder. I don't know what kind of container to suggest except what the powder manufactures use.

Boolit Master

The plastic gas cans use is safe. Not sure whatbthat is... but ill bet it has a number.

Maybe start there, or
    Maybe the smallest gasoline container would work..

Cw
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I use the old metal Winchester 1lb( the big ones) cans to store my pistol powders. Such as TiteGroup and Clays. I tear off the old label, then cut the top and bottom of the 1lb plastic "cans" and slide them over the Win cans. Tape them on, and I'm jake.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

Be sure to label them well !

While I re-use previously emptied smokeless powder containers for such a task, if I didn't have any available or know any other reloaders who are hoarders, LOL
    I would look for dark colored plastic "HDPE" containers that won't let in light.
    Examples of such include:
    Thoroughly degreased motor oil bottles.
    Thoroughly washed and dry Bleach bottles...also hydrogen peroxide bottles.
    If you don't have any of these lying around and you have a recycling center near you, any you don't mind dumpster diving...you might find a treasure trove of them there.

Lastly, you might be able to buy some light blocking HDPE containers at the dollar store...or a office supply store
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I've used plastic bags before when I bought from a store that was parting up a jug. Keep it in a cardboard box to keep the light off. Those are PETE I think.

I've also used a mayonnaise jar when I wanted to carry some powder with a lee loader kit. And I've used a water bottle for substitute black powder. Both are PETE.

Gas cans are generally HDPE, and HDPE is food and fuel safe. The symbol for HDPE is 2 in a triangle. All the factory powder containers I have are marked as such. Folgers and maxwell house plastic coffee cans are HDPE, so those should work well.

Right after WW11, Bruce Hodgdon bought tons of surplus powder and started selling it to reloaders. Believe it or not, some of that powder was actually sold in paper bags. I think two or three bags in each cardboard box, and keep the boxes separated would work.

Boolit Master

I have empty powder containers that you can have for shipping.
    Let me know which powders you need new cans for and I will send them to you....dale

Boolit Master
    black powder comes in a plastic bag. that bag is in a cardboard box. keeps out moisture and light.

Boolit Master
    I had to store powder when several of the old cardboard drums showed signs of water damage. Used zip lock bags inside the blue plastic jugs Maxwell House coffee comes in. Used the sealed bag as a liner as I did not trust the can seal to be air tight. Stored that way for years and was fine.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I save the empty one pound powder bottles and when I open up a 4 or 8lb container I transfer a pound over to the 1lb container.
    I have quite a few empty 1lb bottles of various powders like 2400, Unique, Blue Dot and Bullseye which are my most used powders.
    Good idea to write the lot number on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the repurposed 1lb container.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I either use empty powder bottles, relabeled, or........

.......my wife saves empty Argo corn starch containers for me. They're yellow in color and prevent light from entering. On top of that, they each hold just over a pound of powder. I fill them from an 8lb. keg, then transfer them to my bench.

Boolit Master

I use black powder bottles when I have them empty,and Folger coffee plastic cans,they are red so it blocks light and they are HDPE #2,I have some in use that are over 10years old ,Mark them well with as sharpys marker.
    You can find used containers on this site,but postage is going to take a bit out of your pocket. Good luck.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 09-30-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    dale2242---Thank you for the kind offer. I do have some empty cans, just not for the same powder. I will likely wind up repurposing some of them. Also shipping anything to do with powder from the US to Canada just might cause one or both of us to be hassled by the border people. So I will pass, with many thanks, on your offer.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all who replied and for the suggestions on what might work. I do have some empty cans, just not for the same powder. I will likely wind up repurposing some of them. I will look around for unmarked containers using the information you all have given. Thanks again.
    R.D.M.

no issue at all as long as you mark them well. I'd make sure to label with good marker then a paper label also..... don't want to mix up my powder

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    Thanks to all who replied and for the suggestions on what might work. I do have some empty cans, just not for the same powder. I will likely wind up repurposing some of them. I will look around for unmarked containers using the information you all have given. Thanks again.
    All of my factory plastic powder bottles are marked HDPE . Stick with bottles so marked , some other plastics are affected by the solvents . My first plastic bottle I filled with Ed's Red Bore Cleaner started to dissolve from the inside . Those marked HDPE will resist solvents .
    There are also places online and maybe local that sell metal cans with screw on lids , these make good powder containers when properly labeled .

Or take the old powder containers you have , soak off the old labels and print a new label for the powder going in it .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-30-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

My father in law stored surplus Hodgdon powder that he bought in the 60's in empty yellow plastic anti freeze one gallon containers. I have 20 pounds of that powder and it is still good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast