MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 54 lee real 300

Boolit Buddy

54 lee real 300

Tested in 54 GPR Flintlock 1-60”, 70 ff. 50 yards looks to be going straight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0F49188C-BD3F-472D-BE10-F6DEDB7F1C02.jpg  

Looks really good. Love them REAL bullets

Boolit Grand Master

I managed to get a little better accuracy than that, but a patched round ball always shot better, even in my 1:48 twist barrel. In your case I'm betting a PRB is miles ahead. Between 3 54 caliber's, and 1 50 caliber, I never got REAL's to shoot good.

Boolit Buddy
    I know the group wasn’t much, was just trying out the REAL in the slow twist. I thought for sure they would be hitting sideways.

Boolit Bub
    Yup. Ya gotta spin those! My 1:48 Spaghetti Plains Rifle loves them...

My 1:48 likes the 380 grain REALs at max charge. My shoulder does not.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Those 300 gr R.E.A.L.'s are great. Yesterday, I cast a pile of 'em. They are not too much heavier than a .54 RB. They go straight as an arrow in my .54's. Will be taking them for Maryland bear in a few weeks.

In Remembrance

Try loading the REAL bullet over one or two .125 card (28 Gauge) or felt wads. You are working with the shorter of the two .54 REAL bullets so it will shoot quite accurately with a "round ball" twist. Working up a load is the real issue. My .54 mortimer shoots more accurately with the 300 grain REAL than it does with with the .535 round ball and .016 pillow ticking path, but not by much. I have found that 70 grains of FFg (Old Eyenford) black powder and a single .125 felt wad was most accurate. I do cast my REALs from pure lead and 1/2% tin at 800 degrees and weigh them to reject any more than 1 grain lighter than the "high" average. I lube them with 50/50 bee's wax/lard lube. Despite the rather primitive sights (and a flinch-lock as well) my Mortimer .54 can keep 5 shots into a 2 inch spread at 50 yards from a sand bag rest.

I got my T/C barrel back today from Bob Hoyt ...he made a .50 1 in 48 into a 1 in 66 .54...I am getting ready to blue the barrel but will try all sorts of loads when ready and report..I am going to the Bradford Farm Range near Gainsville tomorrow for the day...time to shoot the dust out of some of my ML's

Boolit Grand Master
    Of the several Bob Hoyt barrel re-cuts I have, the rifling is pretty sharp-edged. Found I had to hand lap them awhile before the patches wouldn't get cut. YMMV

Boolit Buddy

They will keel. I like them because they are easier to load than patched round balls in a hunting situation. Important in a pistol especially. Dan

Boolit Grand Master

If anything I find a PRB easier to load in my TC scout pistol. Of course it depends on the ball/patch combo, but the load I use just takes a stiff push and hold for about 3 seconds to start. The REAL needs a rap to get past that last band. Beyond that, the REAL practically falls down the barrel once started, but I believe that is why they don't shoot well. You have to push them fast to fully stabilize them, and they don't have the bearing surface to be pushed that fast.