Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP Mold 525g wad (Lyman Clone) Slug mold and HS-6 powder?

MP Mold 525g wad (Lyman Clone) Slug mold and HS-6 powder?

I have the MP mold wad https://www.mp-molds.com/e-shop/mold...a-525-wad-slug clone of the Lyman 525g slug mold. I cant seem to find any load data for this slug and Cheddite or Fiocchi straight walled plastic hulls and that powder? I have loaded it in a Winchester AA hull with a WAA12F114 wad and regular crimp and 30 grains of HS-6 (which is subbing the slug for 1 1/4oz shot, and it shot well but I want to use the Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls as I have a bunch of them brand new. I tried some of the Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls with a Federal 12S4 wad, same 30g on HS-6, 20g nitro card under the slug to raise it up a bit and then roll crimped them on a MEC Sugger (fake roll crimp though) and they seemed to shoot just as well, I just want to make sure the load is safe as I know its not the best thing to sway from data even though it seems people do it all the time, or if anyone else knows of load data using this powder as I have a lot of it. I want to roll crimp them so I can tell my buckshot shells from slug shells easily.

Cue: From an older Hodgdon manual #25 ! 1/4 oz. 12ga. 2 3/4 Federal paper base wad hull. HS-6 with Win. WAA12F114 wad 10lb. pressure 32gr. HS-6 1260fps. 9700 psi. 34gr. HS-6 1339fps. 10400 psi. I've used Federal data in Chedite and Fiocchi hulls with out problem. I believe your 30gr load to be safe. If it shoots good at that level that's what I would use. Gp

Thanks, thats what I was thinking. Anyone else have any Similar data?

I'm at 22-23 gr of Unique with an AA hull WAA12 clone wad and the Lyman Pellet Slug with a nitro card under it. My first ones were dropped from a NOE mould and then I got a Mihec version made from brass and it is easier to use.

I see no reason to run these slugs at higher than 1300 fps... I have had no luck firing them from rifled barrels so they have been relegated to steel targets at 30-60 yards. They work well out of my Browning Buck Special Smooth Bore Barrel and the Vang Comped M500 barrel.

I think I could get a decent group at 100 but that remains to be seen. More shooting soon to test this out.

I'm rigging up a new portable bench with a mount for the Chrony so I'll be able to chrono all my shots. More on this later as I'm sure it will be of interest to many here.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-29-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Greetings, one needs to not only have 20 ga but also 16 ga .125 nitro cards handy when loading. Some wads need 20 ga nitro card while others need a 16 ga card at the bottom of the wad before you insert the slug, be ready with both in hand ! !

Regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Anyone else have any Similar data?

Boolit Master
    I have had very good results in a Remington rifled barrel using the MP slug in a Federal Gold Medal hull, primed with Cheddite primers, Fed 12S4 wad with a .125 20 gauge nitro wad under the slug, and 28 grains of 800-X. I need to check the accuracy in my smoothbores. Mostly been running buckshot and .678" roundball in those.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Banned
    Greetings Cue, some how HS-6 is not very popular for Lyman 525 slug in wad but shooters do use it for Lee Key slug 1 oz in wad but there too its known to smack hard over 31 to 32 gr of HS-6.
    Here are the loads from Lyman 5th edition

Here are the loads from Lyman 4th edition

Blue Dot is a time tested and known to be far far better powder for Lyman 525 loads.

Hoping it helps you.
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

I have about 3 pounds of it I want to use up. I also have the Lyman 5th edition book but of course didnt see any hs-6 loads as you pointed out. I have used HS-6 with the Lee slug in the past which worked well.
    I dont see any Cheddite hull loads though, Do you know which hull is similar to them? They are straight walled I believe.

Cue: Cheddite hulls are strait wall and are the recommended hull for Hammerhead slugs. In 12ga. that's a 490gr. payload. In their data there's no HS-6 listed. I still believe your 30gr. load to be safe if not conservative from the Hodgdon data in my above post. Gp

Banned
    In all my load development I strictly used Fiocchi and Federal hulls but don't see why you cant use Cheddite just that their primer might be different ! !

Get yourself a Lee 7/8 oz Drive Key mold from Mid south for around $20 have fun and get a can of Blue Dot too.

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

I have the Lee molds, I want to shoot the Lyman 525g slug though as I like it better.

Cue: SBS gives good advice on using a slower powder for your slug loads. With Blue Dot (My favorite) Longshot or even as slow as Steel your shoulder will likely give out before you reach dangerous pressures. On the faster end Unique and even Green Dot have available data. Gp

I may try some Blue dot after I use this HS-6 up.

Cue: I forgot to mention that I chronograph my loads with the LabRadar and have found very little difference between Cheddite and Fiochi primers, Federal being hotter than either. The Federal primers can be helpful lighting powders on the slow end or loads fired in cold temps. Gp

Thanks.

So looks like a load that should work for the Cheddite Hulls for Blue dot would be 44g and a WAA12r wad, using the Fiocchi data from the 4th edition book.

CUE: Though likely a safe load at 44gr. (I've seen data with some loads up to 50gr. B.D.) For your shoulders sake you might start in the mid to upper 30s . Data for the Hammerhead slugs at 490gr. B.D. @ 40gr. 1550 fps. 2 3/4 Cheddite hull. Gp
    Last edited by gpidaho; 10-04-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Banned
    Hello Cue, 50 gr Blue dot is a hot load for 3 inch load and will shake your fillings, good only for hunting situation where you just might fire one round and 44 to 45 gr is a hot load for 2 3/4 loads.
    How about 40 gr of Blue Dot starting load when you get Blue Dot.

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I’ve shot that 44 grn Blue Dot load out of 2-3/4” AA Hull, AA12R wad, Lyman 525 pellet style slug!!!
    It’s a handful to say the least. Recoil was stiff out of a Remington 870. Good luck on whatever way you go.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Others may have a different opinion or better experiences with the Red AA12R wads but for me there's noticeably more recoil using that wad than say the federal wads 12S3 or 4. Only out of the book load I've fired that I thought had injured me was with a 12R wad. Gp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast