WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metric tool rant

Boolit Master
    I found my missing metric sockets at Home Depot.
    One brand was Blackhawk and the other was Husky.
    Be happy metric sockets don't have a metric drive.
    EDG

Boolit Master

In the late '70s, I ran the parts department for the U.S. distributor of KG Hoes GMBH construction equipment (now owned by Dynapac) and mentioned to one of the factory service reps that I needed a good set of metric sockets. I was riding a Yamaha at the time and the Japanese tool kits back then really sucked! Couple of weeks later, Arno (the service rep) had a crate of ZF transaxle parts airfreighted in for a warranty job on a paving machine and, lo and behold, in the bottom of the crate was a full set of 'industrial-grade' metric sockets and combination wrenches, all the way up to 30mm. Asked Arno what I owed him and he and said it was payback for my loan of a shotgun and shells so he could shoot trap and clays in his free time. Odd thing, though, those sockets fitted all my 1/2"-drive handles and extensions...still got that set, btw.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Moderator Emeritus

jimlj -- I had a "frozen" steering wheel on my Lund boat a few years ago, and (sorry, I do NOT recall the exact size) trying both SAE and metric sockets, they were ALL too loose to grip, or, too small to get on fitting. I had a "brain flash" and cut a strip of brass shim stock, which I wrapped about the fitting; had to lightly tap-tap-tap the socket on -- but it did fit. Annnd... it worked (for me). It was one of those funny-looking nuts with a reduced segment at top, but it did not have (my initial thought) say, a nylon inside. I do not know if my "trick" would have worked for you, but... something to keep in the back of your mind next time you need a socket, not having exact size on hand. A local auto parts store has it in thicknesses from 0.0010" through to 0.0315" -- so, one can borrow their micrometer or calipers from the casting bench to ascertain what width needs to be added; cut and wrap around a layer; and -- hopefully have the success I had.
    geo

Banned

Metric tool rant

18mm?
    Ya mean 23/32”?
    Why don’t they make an SAE wrench/socket in that size?
    Same dang complaint as “no 18mm in this metric set” ...ain’t it?
    While we’re at it, why in the sam hill did the original bores measure anything other than perfectly rounded 10ths or hundredths or quarters of an inch?
    .22? Why not .20?
    .25? We have a winner!
    .30? We have a winner!
    .32? Why not .30?
    .35? We have a winner!
    .36? Why not .35?
    .38? Why not .40? Winner!
    .45? We have a winner!
    .50? We have a winner!
    Drives me nuts the calibers are taken out to the thousandths of an inch! Makes it so much harder to standardize the bore diameter between different manufacturers.
    R/Griff
    Last edited by dangitgriff; 09-28-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Harbour Freight impact set I bought this summer has one. You can also buy individual sockets.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    BTW, ever notice that it seems like more & more you have to remove the spare tire from the trunk to change a headlight & other such ridiculous parts that need to be removed in order to replace one simple part. Removing the battery to change the headlight bulbs on many new vehicles would be one good example. Why they have to attach/bracket so many parts to the water pump is another.
    There's several things going on-
    Engine compartments are as small as possible to have more room in the passenger compartment for the same size car.

Cars are designed for the factory to assemble them as quickly as possible- some things are put together while its upside down at the plant.

Some things are made to discourage home or small shop mechanics to work on, or require special tools,
    thus pushing more work back to the dealership shop. Most of their money is made in the mechanic bays- not the show room.

Planned obsolescence is build in to make a car worn out beyond economical repair
    at a point a little ways down the road after the warranty expires.

If they could be cheaply rebuilt, better maintained, or lasted forever--- the new car sales would drop about 60%.
    (Example: How many grease fittings does your new car have compared to ones from the 60's?)
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    About 30 years ago a friend and I were walking the tool dept. of the Lowes store, clerk asked if he could help find some thing. We being smart a__ young 20 somethings asked for a "left handed metric crescent wrench", he spent 10 minute looking before asking his supervisor who then spent 10 more before we said we come back latter. Best hour ever spent wasting time before going to the movies.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master
    40 years in the trade as a journeyman, and I can say with complete confidence now, it doesn't matter what kind of tool, how many of them you have, or what the job is, as long as the job is 1. frustrating
    2. inconvienent
    3. in the worst possible place
    These three things must be met! you will never ,ever, have the right tool or one that will work, when you need it. THATS Murphy's law for repair,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    40 years in the trade as a journeyman, and I can say with complete confidence now, it doesn't matter what kind of tool, how many of them you have, or what the job is, as long as the job is 1. frustrating
    2. inconvienent
    3. in the worst possible place
    These three things must be met! you will never ,ever, have the right tool or one that will work, when you need it. THATS Murphy's law for repair,
    True but if you get out your largest tool and set it beside the job, to let it know you are serious, things often go smoothly. A 4 foot pipe wrench is one of my favorites.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    While I certainly feel the OP's pain, Home Depot and Wal Mart both list 18mm combination wrenches. Now, I can't speak to the quality of same, but they DO list them. So does Amazon, if your need is less immediate.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    I too have run into bolts on a Ford pickup that were 'MERICAN' on one end and 'FERIGN' on the other. Yeah calibers are really annoying, why are 45 rifles 458(sort of) and 45 pistols 452(sort of), then there's 9mm/355-356, 357 for 38-357 and 358 for more. I also ran into the 16mm and 18mm socket issues before online shopping, EBAY, Amazon. I would stop at the local auto shop and have them order from their suppliers.

Boolit Master

Standard and metric are the least of the worries. What about torx, inverted torx, square drive and what ever the fastener suppliers come up with next. After turning wrenches professionally for over forty years I could have paid for a nice house. When I'm gone my wife will get pennies on the dollar for what I have invested. Sad but just the way it is.

Boolit Master
    "Some things are designed to discourage home mechanics".......how about everything is designed to prevent home mechanics touching it.I have always bought little Ford diesel pickups...... on the most recent ,its impossible to remove the starter or oil filter without the vehicle on a hoist......of course the ultimate was the little Benz "Smart" cars....even the fasteners were unique,and without a set of benz tools ,nothing could be done.......that one didnt go well for Benz,better though than for those who paid gazillions for dealerships for "tomorrows car"....

Boolit Master
    I have done mechanic work over the years. I have most everything some in sets some bought as needed. most craftsman. some s-k some proto. I even have a set of wrenches and sockets in whitworth from when I had a Norton motorcycle.

I have bought tools at stores at auctions yard sales and junk shops.

Boolit Master
    Unknown to me when I had to replace the starter on my wife's chevette years ago. Started out with a set of inch stuff and soon had to drag out my metric stuff as half the bolts were a mix of both. Two tool boxes and wrenches and sockets all over the driveway. Frank

Boolit Master

I don't have a lot of wrench type tools but I still have the first set of metric combination wrenches I bought so I could do minor repairs on my first new car. It was a 1965 VW bug and I was just out of college. The wrench set was Proto 10mm to 19 mm. Off hand, I forget which size was missing but probably it was the 18mm. I've added other sizes since then along with metric sockets. I've got sockets in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive, but not a complete set of any, just a few duplicates.

I bought my grandsons a set of combination wrenches and sockets along with a few screwdrivers, pliers, etc. Not a top quality set but enough to allow them to start doing minor repairs on just about anything. I had done the same for my sons when they were about the same age. It stopped my tools from disappearing.

I haven't bought wrenches and sockets in the last 15-20 years. I don't crawl under vehicles any more. I probably would if it didn't hurt so much when I crawled out.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I ran into the 13mm quandary years ago. I've never used a 13mm on a Japanese product, but if you go German your going to use every size on the meter stick! The very reason we should have gone metric years ago! I'd almost rather work on an all metric machine, as as American machine cobbled from parts made all over the world! BTW, do any of you use spline drive tools? I've pitched out nearly all my 6 and 12 sided stuff and replaced with spline drive tools.

Boolit Buddy
    At least you are working on a decent vehicle. I can't believe how many of those 25yr+ trucks are still riding around up north here, albeit without wheel arches and possibly some floppy bedsides/fenders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast