Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Ideal #1 from ebay

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama

Odd Ideal #1 lube sizer from ebay

Unfortunately I do not have a current picture so will try to post one later but I just bought an odd one and was hoping someone else has seen one like it . It has a non plated cylinder that is solid copper and does not seem to be a homemade replacement . All else is standard Ideal #1 . Anybody ever seen one like this ? The cylinder looked like it was coated with lube in the auction pictures but it is actually brown like an old penny . It is missing the bracket but I may have one spotted . I bought it for parts (wood handle on lever ) but I am now gonna restore it instead of using it for parts . Any thoughts appreciated .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 09-27-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Banned
    This took some reading to figure out. It is NOT a #1 tong tool or a #1 powder measure. It is a #1 lube sizer.
    Copper cylinder is most likely original as the old Hoppe's would remove the nickel plating in short order.

It will be fun to look at when you get it.

Boolit Master

Pictures from the auction .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ideal#1.jpg   ideal#1-2.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus

One I had, with a brass reservior

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    My New Haven model has a nickel plated brass reservior, and a Middlefield, Conn model has one made of steel. I use them for .22 and .25 cal bullets as they are getting old and I don't want to stress them with big sizing jobs

Boolit Grand Master
    The wrench to advance more lube is a bit tough to find and the unique, two prong clamp is even worse. There is a clamp on fleaBay right now, but apparently at least two people both think they need it. I found a press with clamp and wrench at the Nation’s Gun Show about 15 years ago and like to use it with soft lube and pure lead bullets for BPC loading. Mine has the typical nickel plated reservoir.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    That really looks like the correct tube, but the nickel has been removed. Jon's just looks out of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    That really looks like the correct tube, but the nickel has been removed. Jon's just looks out of focus.
    Boy, I'm glad it not just me, 1 Bud Light, 2 hours ago shouldn't make my vision go that bad

Moderator Emeritus

Me and Photobucket are having a bit of an argument, they are blurring it on purpose.
    To be honest, Half the reason I posted that photo, is to see when Photobucket straightens things out, in my account.
    I may be one of the last hold out's, trying to make them work...but honestly I am so close to finally ending the relationship.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master

I have several of these and all appear to be nickel plated over brass , that's why I thought the copper cylinder was rather odd if original . There is another bracket listed along with some other items and the remains of the #1 it goes with but it's priced way high in my opinion for the lot and I have no use for any of the other items . I bought this one for the wood to restore another #1 that was missing the wood from the handle , made a lower offer and it was accepted . The seller contacted me several days after the auction and informed me there was a slight crack in the wood not pictured and because of that I could have it for just the shipping ! I told him to make it shipping + half of the agreed upon price as I could still use the other parts so I have right at $16.00 and $8.00 and change in it . The one I was gonna use the wood on has the bracket and the wrench so I really already have both but am always looking for them loose when available . Should I shine the tube up or leave the patina , that is the current question I am pondering . Suggestions ??

John B , I still have an Active Free photobucket account for some reason but I never use it . It is much easier to keep my pictures in their albums on my HD and load them with the tool provided by the forum . My pictures are already bad enough that they don't need any help from photobucket .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 09-29-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Boolit Master

Froggie , Thanks for the heads up ! I did not see the auction you mentioned but another one popped up as a buy it now for $55 so I made an offer of somewhat over half and it was accepted . Now to find another wrench ! Last one I found was in a junk box at a flea market for $0.50 , I will never get that lucky again .

Boolit Grand Master
    I did pick up a spare wrench (not for sale... I’ve already mislaid the original once or twice) for a bit more than you paid. I think I paid about $15 for it delivered from an eBay seller I’ve dealt with before. He said he almost didn’t list it because he “didn’t think anyone would be interested in it.” I’m trying to justify buying a second early press, but I don’t think I’d buy one without the clamp.

Froggie

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    I have several of these and all appear to be nickel plated over brass , that's why I thought the copper cylinder was rather odd if original . There is another bracket listed along with some other items and the remains of the #1 it goes with but it's priced way high in my opinion for the lot and I have no use for any of the other items . I bought this one for the wood to restore another #1 that was missing the wood from the handle , made a lower offer and it was accepted . The seller contacted me several days after the auction and informed me there was a slight crack not pictured and because of that I could have it for just the shipping ! I told him to make it shipping + half of the agreed upon price as I could still use the other parts so I have right at $16.00 and $8.00 and change in it . The one I was gonna use the wood on has the bracket and the wrench so I really already have both but am always looking for them loose when available . Should I shine the tube up or leave the patina , that is the current question I am pondering . Suggestions ??

John B , I still have an Active Free photobucket account for some reason but I never use it . It is much easier to keep my pictures in their albums on my HD and load them with the tool provided by the forum . My pictures are already bad enough that they don't need any help from photobucket .
    Patina:
    The short answer is, I wouldn't polish that reservoir.
    The long answer is, I was honestly torn about what to advise you to do, so I am giving you this long answer. I like to shine stuff...but I also like the look of patina on certain things, especially when those things are really really old and still intended for use, like any #1 is. For instance, I have a coin collection, most are only valued for their silver content. Most have a nice patina, that is pleasing to look at...but some have a splotchy ugly patina with specs of the green verdigris. Now it's a big No-No to polish coins, but I have polished coins that have no numismatic value and only bullion value, if they were ugly...so I ain't gonna lose any value or nuthin...but it makes them enjoyable to look at.

PhotoBucket:
    Back in June or July, they updated their FREE account policy, lowering the number of photos and lowering the Bandwidth allowed for hosted images. I don't think they blurred the images right away, of the free customers that were breaking that new rule. Honestly I don't know when they were blurred? But I discovered that all my images were blurred a week ago. Two days I ago, I started deleting images to get below the new rules...anyone who has used photobucket, know how slow and painful it is to navigate their website to do such things as edit photos or delete them or whatever. It took me 4 hours to delete 800 images, to get below the threshold. And my images are still blurry I have sent them a message asking why, maybe the account needs to be reset by a human? anyway I haven't got a response yet. I will likely quit using photobucket and start using something else for any future photo hosting, but I really don't want to take the effort to transfer all the remaining photos to another hosting service, unless I really really have to.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've tried a posting service before. I upload the pics and never see them again.
    Better to use the HD on your computer.
    Leo

Boolit Master

Got this in today , now to find a wrench for this one and wood for the handle on the other one .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ideal 1 Bracket.jpg   Ideal 1 Bracket2.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Got this in today , now to find a wrench for this one and wood for the handle on the other one .
    SWEEEET! Sometimes I think it’s harder to get this clamp than the rest of the parts (including the main sizer body!) combined. If the opportunity to get a spare at anything like a reasonable price, I’d have a spare in my parts drawer. Congrats!

Froggie

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    One I had, with a brass reservior

Gentlemen, touch the picture and it will take you to Photobucket, to view the entire album, in great detail. I learned this the hard way after being frustrated myself,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Unfortunately I do not have a current picture so will try to post one later but I just bought an odd one and was hoping someone else has seen one like it . It has a non plated cylinder that is solid copper and does not seem to be a homemade replacement . All else is standard Ideal #1 . Anybody ever seen one like this ? The cylinder looked like it was coated with lube in the auction pictures but it is actually brown like an old penny . It is missing the bracket but I may have one spotted . I bought it for parts (wood handle on lever ) but I am now gonna restore it instead of using it for parts . Any thoughts appreciated .
    Eddie,

Don't know if you've seen it, but you will want to study this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...p-instructions

I know your No.1 is not exactly like the later 45, but lots of good info there.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I need one of these and a wrench!

Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version.

Name: Ideal 1 Bracket.jpg
    Views: 1
    Size: 24.5 KB
    ID: 249186 Click image for larger version.

Name: Ideal 1 Bracket2.jpg
    Views: 1
    Size: 22.7 KB
    ID: 249187

Boolit Master

Brass ,I got my eye on another bracket that I really won't need but right now it's selling as a package deal and I do not want any of the other stuff in the package . I have made an offer to buy the remains of the sizer which has a good bracket . If he ever decides to sell it at a price I can afford I will remember you . I do need one more wrench so on that one you would be on your own !

Eddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast