Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new and getting back into reloading...41 mag

Boolit Bub

new and getting back into reloading...41 mag

Hello,
    I'm getting back into reloading after about a 6 year break do to injuries and surgeries. I'm probably not posting in the correct spot, but maybe someone can point me in the correct direction.
    I've only loaded 41 magnum but i'm going to start loading 300 win. mag. and 7mm mag. I load on a old Dillion RL 550B, and I started with a single stage. I loaded up about 100 41 mag loads last night. I used 210 Gr. jacketed SP with Unique powder. But I have some 225 Gr. RNFP and a few other sizes. My problem is finding DATA?? for these loads. I've googled my different powder brands that I have but still having a hard time finding the information for different loads and bullet sizes. Can someone point me in the right direction.
    Thank you.

Boolit Master

if you cant find published data, give sierra bullets a call. they have a line where all they do is help reloaders. they will help you out no matter who's bullets you use.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, I have quiet a few different unknown brand of bullets with different weights 225gr. 215, 212, 210 and 200, I'm having a tough time finding data anything other than 200, 210 and 220 grains. And that's only using unique powder.

Boolit Master

I also have the .41mag affliction. I have found some great info in this thread...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Center

But, as you know everyone on the internet is crazy except for you and me (and I wonder about you sometimes).
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Lyman cast bullet handbook #4 has loads for 185,195,210,220gn bullets and unique. Personally I use 8gns of unique with bullets up to 230gns for mild plinking loads. For hunting loads, I really like 2400.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.
    I moved your thread.

Lots of data here
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Center

opps, I see foesgth already posted that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Thanks lots of good reading.
    I have a model 57 6" and a Ruger Bisley 7.5" Haven't done much shooting the last 5 or so years, but am getting back to it now.

Boolit Grand Master

7gr 231 is my plinking load for anything 200-230gr

Boolit Grand Master

210 grain jacketed, and 230 grain SWC (sometimes listed 215 grain if cast of linotype) are the two most common bullets for 41 magnum. You could use either one for your 225 grain load data if you are careful. Out of an old Alliant pamphlet, a 220 grain bullet max of 9.3 grain Unique at 1.575" OAL.

Boolit Grand Master
    I sold off all of my 41 Magnum revolvers about 7-8 years ago. I retained the tools and loading components/moulds. I do have a hankering for a Ruger BH x 4-5/8" something fierce of late--41 or 45 caliber. All of my previous 41s were hunting guns--a couple 6.5" BHs and a 6" S&W 657. I am rolling the idea around at this point.

Maybe next month--I already used this month's CA Ration Card for a S&W 642. I feel the need for pocket felon repellent. Sometimes pepper gel and LCD lights come up a mite short, and the 1911 is too heavy to haul around under summer-weight clothing. YES, I had a CA snowflake melt over my pistol "printing" under my shirt in the Home Depot. She threw a fit, and in these days of mass shooting hysteria the gendarmerie are a mite tense upon arrival. The two that showed up were cool, I had sat down in a chair near the checkstands with my hands up. It turns out that the reporting party was a Regular Customer of both the police department AND the pshrink shack at the County Hospital. Still, it was embarrassing as hell--and THANK GOD for how things shook out. Swap in a soccer mom and LAPD, and.......well, time for a light pocket rocket and baggier clothing. Very instructive sequence.

I went on my way after a couple minutes, all good. Her route differed--she went for another ride to see the nice pshrink techs in the white scrubs at Ward "B". Just another day in The Worker's Paradise.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 09-27-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I’ve only fired one 41 Magnum and that was a couple of decades ago. A guy and his son showed up at an outdoor range where I was shooting over my Oehler 35P. He decided I looked like an expert and asked me to check out this gun he had inherited and wanted to shoot. He opened the mahogany box and handed me an un-fired S&W Model 57 with 8 & 3/8” barrel. He wasn’t sure if the ammo that came with the gun was good as it was looking pretty dated. I discussed the possibility of keeping the M57 un-fired but he was adamant they came to shoot it. After I admired it, checked the bore for obstructions, checked the timing, looked at the old ammo, all seemed in order. He asked if I would shoot it so he could watch. So I did. I was surprised at the mild recoil. Shots all fell on target. He and his son then moved to a table and proceeded to empty out the cases. I suggested they keep the empties with the gun. He offered to sell it to me, but I was not in a position to make a reasonable offer. After that odd encounter I’ve entertained the possibility of owning and exploring .41 Remington Magnum. However calibers 44 and 45 seemed more rational to me at times when I had the appropriate purchasing power. Still I wonder if I’d enjoy plowing that field.

The short barrel Blackhawk seems like a good fit of cartridge to gun size. I’m not a fan of big calibers in small guns nor small calibers in big guns. Either is wasteful. I’ve also noticed my long barreled revolvers stay home, but the 4 inch and shorter get to go places.

9.3x6.2AL, that’s a thread swerve. But thanks for the story. Nice touch sitting. Sounds like you took the initiative to de-escalate. Yep I’ve gone to mostly pocket carry myself. Usually Sig 365, J-Frame or LCP depending on my pockets that day. I do occasionally feel the need for more gun and then add a large gun in a vertical shoulder holster. My thinking being the pocket gun for fast presentation close encounters, the big gun for the rest. Thinking of the recent trend in mass shootings, I can see the possibility of having to engage a crazy wannabe mass shooter at big box store ranges of 50 yards or greater. Definitely out of range with a pocket gun, but doable with a big gun.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Groo here
    The 41mag is one of my most loved but least shot guns.
    The load we like the best is ::: 210 [about ] hard cast , mag or hot primers, heavy crimp , AND 7gr Trailboss...
    This will give about equal to the "Police" load and is accurate in every 41 we tried so far...

Boolit Master
    I have shot only one load in my 41 Blackhawk with the 225gr cast in the 30 years I have had it. It's no longer recommended to use Blue Dot but that is all I used before the notice came out. So, I still use 16grs of Blue Dot for 1480 fps. A few years back I learned how to make a 270gr jacketed bullet from 40 S&W cases without buying expensive swaging dies. For this I use a case full of Lil gun for 1200 fps. For plinking I use a 38spl. I would not use these in a M57 without careful load work up and even then I wouldn't use a lot of them.

Boolit Grand Master

I still use bluedot in 41 mag. It is easily my favorite powder. OAL is a factor, but 16 grains BD with a 230 grain SWC is SMOKING HOT! My personal favorite is the #258 and 13 grains. I consider 13.5 max. With the shorter nose of some 220 grain rnfp I'm finding 12.5 is about max. Best accuracy is 10.5 gr so far.

I never believed the hype about pressure spikes. The truth is Bluedot is one of the most mild mannered and consistent powders ever made. Likely what happened is an unusually slow batch was tested and ran right to the limit. Now with a faster lot, and different testing equipment, Alliant found old data to be above limits.

Be careful with that 16 gr load if you use a different Lot.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 09-28-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
    www.hodgdonreloading.com/
    Beartooth has a large load data section.
    with Unique powder, 7 for plinking and popping. 9-10 for serious loads.. work up
    In the 70's
    Bob Millik? said his Blue Dot loads became overloads in below zero temps. So he moved away from BD. At the time he wrote that I was using his .41 mag loads. There are tooo many other good powders around. I finished what I had and moved on. IF Alliant says do not use it they have good reason to say do not buy this powder to use in a .41 mag

Boolit Master
    Alliant isn't the only one saying not use Blue Dot in the 41 magnum, Freedom Arms says the same thing.

Dick

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GLynn41 View Post
    www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
    www.hodgdonreloading.com/
    Beartooth has a large load data section.
    with Unique powder, 7 for plinking and popping. 9-10 for serious loads.. work up
    In the 70's
    Bob Millik? said his Blue Dot loads became overloads in below zero temps. So he moved away from BD. At the time he wrote that I was using his .41 mag loads. There are tooo many other good powders around. I finished what I had and moved on. IF Alliant says do not use it they have good reason to say do not buy this powder to use in a .41 mag
    I've experienced random pressure spikes in hot BD loads while shooting at cold MN temperatures. I won't use it again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Unique and H110 check the .41 magnum boxes here.
    rbuck 351- don’t leave us hanging, how do you make .410” bullets from .40S&W brass?

Boolit Master
    BLUE DOT in a 10 GA. ITHACA MAG 10.. Oh the old days of LEAD and no fake poisoned ducks. I have NEVER found any because of lead. ONLY LEADS POISONED FROM BEING SHOT AND CRIPPED...!

Boolit Master

7gr of unique is about all i run in my 41 under a 210gr RCBS boolit
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast