Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: What to do with 3 FA 83's in 454?

Banned

What to do with 3 FA 83's in 454?

My wife always accuses me of being "obsessive compulsive" and I guess I am. I have ended up with 3 freedom arms 83's in 454 and I'm not exactly sure how I will set them up. Two of them are 7 1/2" guns and I intended to leave the one with fully adjustable sights alone for full house hunting loads. The other I was going to set up with an ultradot for when I'm still hunting or horseback and shots could be over 100yds. Lastly, I have a 6" ported gun that I think I will shorten to minimum and use with mild 45LC loads for something to carry on my hip when assing around the farm. What do you guys think?

Boolit Grand Master
    I think you're a lucky guy. Have fun.

Banned
    Yes sir, I am. After I won the bid on this last one, I sold my gp100 44spl that I never even fired to help fund it. Once you have a FA in your hands, you can really appreciate the craftsmanship. I loved my BFR, but it certainly wasnt fit or finished to the level of the FA. I liked my gp100 and I have a 4" 357 I'll probably never part with, but I got the FA for $300 more than what I sold the gp100 for. Seems like a no brainier to me!

Boolit Master

I had up until a 2 years ago 3 FA 454 Casulls a 7.5" with a added SSK muzzle break now a 9.0" barrel, IMO just too much barrel and poor handling this one had a scope and deafening muzzle report !
    Still have a 7.5 " and my favorite a 6.0" the balance is perfect, both have Aimpoint Micros. have killed many deer & bears with all 3 , my newest one the 6.0" I had for 14 years my 7.5" ive had for 25 years and the SSK gun I had for 17 years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I had up until a 2 years ago 3 FA 454 Casulls a 7.5" with a added SSK muzzle break now a 9.0" barrel, IMO just too much barrel and poor handling this one had a scope and deafening muzzle report !
    Still have a 7.5 " and my favorite a 6.0" the balance is perfect, both have Aimpoint Micros. have killed many deer & bears with all 3 , my newest one the 6.0" I had for 14 years my 7.5" ive had for 25 years and the SSK gun I had for 17 years.
    I have been debating on what red dot to put on one of the 7.5" guns. I'll check into the aimpoint micro.

Boolit Master

You'll like that 4.75" gun. While it is getting shortened, consider a 45 ACP cylinder for it. FA frowns on 45 Colt in their 454 cylinders.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    You'll like that 4.75" gun. While it is getting shortened, consider a 45 ACP cylinder for it. FA frowns on 45 Colt in their 454 cylinders.
    I did consider a 45lc cylinder and I might actually buy one if I thought I could sell my 454 cylinder. I suspect all the short gun will ever see is a 250-260gr at 1100-1200 but I can do that with the 454 brass and universal I think.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a good plan with the threesome. I just bought my first FA premier grade this summer. Its a 7.5 inch 454 with an extra 45 colt cylinder and black micarta grips. I agree that the quality is something to behold. Sold some of my Rugers and a BFR to get the Freedom arms and 100% glad I did it.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Banned
    All of mine are field grades. I can't imagine how nice a premier grade must be! I think I will make some nice pecan or mesquite grips to liven them up a little.

Boolit Master

I regulary shoot my 454 with 8.0 to 9.0 gr of TG loaded in 454 cases with a spp 260 275 & 300 gr cast bullets at the 1000 to 1100 fps with excellent accuracy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I regulary shoot my 454 with 8.0 to 9.0 gr of TG loaded in 454 cases with a spp 260 275 & 300 gr cast bullets at the 1000 to 1100 fps with excellent accuracy.
    I appreciate the info. That's exactly the kind of load I'm looking for in the short gun.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’d red dot them. All my big bore hunting pistols have dots. I love the fast target Acquisition when using red dots.

Banner Sponsor

Sounds like a great selection, but we need PICS
    If it was me, I'd leave one with the adjustable sights, put a reddot on another and then shorten the third like you were thinking.