RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Cryo treating receivers???

Boolit Buddy

Cryo treating receivers???

Question ....receiver steels are heat treated to make them harder.... could a cold treatment such as cryo treating steels in receivers work??? Make them harder to resist higher pressures?

regards..

nope, cryo treatment is for reliving stresses in the metal it is not for hardening
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Banner Sponsor

One thing that 300 Below advertised way back when was that their Cryo treatment would increase the formation of tempered martinsite, which would increase toughness and durability without reducing hardness much. And yes the cry treatment is for stress relieving also.

When I did my Ruger 22-250 bull barrel they said it would improve accuracy and help reduce throat erosion.
    It did improve the accuracy but I haven't shot is enough to know about the throat erosion. They did the barrel unit with out trigger group or bolt.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Years ago when cryo treating barrels and moly coated boolits was the rage--

I was rebarreling a Rem700, and got a cryo treated one from Schilean.
    I don't know if it makes a difference or not.

I figure its like getting 'One hour Martinizing' for your funeral suit at the dry cleaners.
    Its supposed to be good, doesn't cost much, but ya can't really tell if you got it or not.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Back in the 90’s when it was the big hype I had several rifle actioned barrels done. Don’t know if it helped or not but everyone I had done will shoot .3’s at 200 yards with my reloads accept for one....they might have shot that good before....never tested before I sent them in.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive had several barrels done. While I cant state as to accuracy improvements. None walked their shots in a rapid fire stage ir 20 round slow fire. one barrel was on a long range Winchester in .300 mag that did show that in the score book kept on it. Unscrewed it cleaned it very good and sent it out to 300 below. After the treatment it didn't show the walking it did before. THe hart I put on my 243 match rifle shot very good and was treated but it still only got 2500 rds before the throat went.
    Kriegers relieve the bar stock to ease machining and then when done and contoured in house. I believe Pac Nor, lilja Mcgowen and others all do it also.

We did do some high wear tooling at work, but it was also tin coated so while life did improve which was the reason I don't know. I converts grain structure to a more uniform state, relieves stress, but as to hardening it I don't think its more than minute amount from the grains realignment

Usually the receivers aren’t the weak part. We can build receivers and barrels to withstand higher pressures.

The weak link is usually the brass case. Once you start getting to pressures above 70-75KPSI the brass case can really start to flow. Magnum rifle cartridges typically top out around 65KPSI.

You’d need to go to the drawing board and design the cartridge to withstand the higher pressure, and then build the receiver and bolt to match.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I had my pencil barreled 300 RUM done and it still wanders on the 3rd shot.