Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxPBcastco
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Old .45 ACP

Boolit Master

Old .45 ACP

A few years ago I was given some .45 acp ammo that was pretty corroded. The box doesn’t show where it was made but is stamped “Repacked EC 5-44”.

The cases appear to be steel, or at least a white metal. The bullet appears to be a standard 230 grain FMJ projectile. The primer is covered with a purple substance which seems to be a sealant.
    The headstamp is E C S 33.

I am not familiar with the headstamp and can’t find any information on this ammo. Any info as to manufacturer etc would be appreciated. Sorry I cannot post pictures.

Thanks,
    Ken
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

ECS Evansville Ordnance Plant (Chrysler-Sunbeam) - Evansville, Indiana: a division of Sunbeam Refrigerator Co. (1942-1944). Chrysler bought the plant to keep up with demand. It loaded cartridges made at the Evansville-Chrysler plant across town and then packed them in shipping crates for shipment. In 1943 it was the first plant to manufacture ammo in vacuum-packed metal cans. In 1944 it was employed in inspecting and repacking .45 ACP and .30 Carbine ammunition.

The head stamp is ECS (Evansville - Chrysler - Sunbeam)
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 09-25-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Look up Bullets by the Billion for some of the story of steel cased ammo.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/boo...y-the-billion/

Boolit Master
    Cool history lesson there.

Thanks to those that helped out!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Evansville, My home town had a lot of war effort. Ammunition, P47s, LSTs and lots of small shops. In the early 60s you could still see some sign all gone now.

Banned

Boolit Grand Master

Cool pictures, Conditor! I really like the 1911! I have a few individual steel 45 cartridges in my collection but would love to come across a full box.

Boolit Master

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate y’all sharing your knowledge! And I should have proofread my post. The headstamp is 43 not 33. Typing is not my strongpoint!

Ken
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The ECC ammo is corrosive primed, but shoots well and is accurate. I grab it whenever I can find it cheap. Sportsman's Guide had it about ten years ago and I bought ten cans.

Attachment 248911

The cases will reload fine if you decap first and wash in hot soapy water to remove the potassium chlorate residue, then they resize fine in carbide dies and can be loaded normally. I use them for plinking and practice loads for use in places where it is difficult or inconvenient to police up the fired brass, so I have some I can shoot and let fly.

It also makes picking up your brass easy on an indoor range by dragging a cow magnet across the floor.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by km101 View Post
    Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate y’all sharing your knowledge! And I should have proofread my post. The headstamp is 43 not 33. Typing is not my strongpoint!

Ken
    Thank you Ken! The "33" was a puzzlement to me.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I have 5 45 acp cartridges that are WWI era. One is U.S.C Co. 3/17, one R.E.M.-UMC 17, one F.A 18, and 2 U.S.C. 18. Brass case and steel bullets. I also have some W.W.11 brass. I also have 2 bullets head stamped GFL 9mm 38 dated 1940. I also have WWII 3006 cartridges that I have pulled and replaced the corrosive primers in.

Boolit Master
    Thanks all for sharing!

The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Outpost75,

Is "PCCO" the Peters Cartridge Company or something else?
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Outpost75,

Is "PCCO" the Peters Cartridge Company or something else?
    Correct, Peter's Cartridge Co. King's Mills, Ohio
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.