Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Mystery metals for bullet casting

Boolit Master

Mystery metals for bullet casting

As you fellers know its been 20 years since this country used lead wheelweight metal for wheelweight balancing so those days of going to the local tire shop and coming away with several hundred pounds of lead for 5c a lb (or free if you hit it lucky) are loooong gone. So us old bullet casters have been scrounging whatever came along for many years.

My friend George is a garage-sale addict. Every now and then he gives me a call and says he's found some item of shooting/reloading/casting interest and over the years has picked me up several hundred pounds of casting metal, usually in the form of home-cast fishing sinkers. All the home-cast fishing sinkers that fit in my pot have gone directly in assuming them to be wheelweight metal and as far as I can tell this has been a valid assumption. He has come up with the occasional commercial cast fish weight and the old thumbnail test has showed these to be pretty much pure lead and I have set them aside for that purpose (you know -- when you want soft boolits for muzzle loaders or target velocity revolver bullets).

But I had set aside two boat anchors (about 30 lb each) and two powerline weights (also about 30 lb each) that seemed to be harder than pure lead, as well as a total "mystery metal" consisting of what looked to be a pile of drips falling into pine needles from some unknown adventure (about 25 lb of this weird-looking mess). Yesterday I fired up the big melting pot which is a propane-fired turkey cooker with a nicely sized cast iron roasting pot. Melted down the different metals and when I had them nicely melted and ready to be cast into ingots I cast a couple boolits from each using my trusty 45/70 bullet mould that casts up 532 grains from wheelweight metal.

Years ago I built a spreadsheet by applying knowledge gained from high school physics where I used the atomic mass of lead, tin, and antimony to predict what the weight of a bullet would be when cast of a number of different alloys of those three metals. So both the powerline weights and the boat anchors cast up boolits that run about 536 to 537 grains. Pure lead should be 537 grains according to my spreadsheet, so these go into the "pure lead" pile. I think it was just some sort of "age crusting" fooled my thumbnail test. But that weird mystery metal gave a boolit weighing just 490 grains. And a hard and tough bullet it is, too according to my "pound with the hammer" test. Even linotype should make a boolit a bit over 500 grains, so this is something with even more of the tin/antimony than linotype. My spreadsheet says "stereotype" would give a 494 grains bullet, so this is probably stereotype. I never found stereotype before in all my scrounging adventures. What a neat deal for alloying up some hard bullets! I just wish he'd found a whole lot more of it.

Anyway, I just thought you other old bullet casters would appreciate hearing of my boolit metal adventures.

Boolit Master

Maybe Oregon is in a different country but here in Texas they still use lead wheel weights.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Louisiana is always last in everything, hopefully we will be the last state to get rid of lead WW.

Boolit Grand Master

The lead yield is still holding up pretty well here in Arkansas. Our small local tire store still buys and uses new lead weights for most of his balancing. Thats an interesting spreadsheet. I would like to have a copy of it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    The lead yield is still holding up pretty well here in Arkansas. Our small local tire store still buys and uses new lead weights for most of his balancing. Thats an interesting spreadsheet. I would like to have a copy of it!
    I would like one as well, if you care to share.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Maybe Oregon is in a different country but here in Texas they still use lead wheel weights.
    Ya same here in Virginia. As a matter of fact I just scored close to 300 lbs +- of wheel weights last week of course half weren’t lead but still. I only paid $10 for 2 1/2 5 gal buckets.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    After our Monday morning safety meeting, I headed out to work. Saw one of my friends at a local tire shop, having a front tire repaired. (We are in a small town in Texas) So, i asked the proprietor of this fine establishment if he had any wheel weights he would like to get rid of????? "Sure, let's go see what we got in the back" long story short, two 5 gallon buckets of lead wheel weights, with very few zinc and steel, in my truck bed for the princely sum of $40 cash!!! They are out there, sometimes you get lucky. Just my score story for the week!
    Last edited by Budzilla 19; 09-25-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    We still use lead here in Nevada. I need to go try to find some more lead.
    I might go to the public gun range sometime with a sifter and see if I can score there.

Boolit Master
    Omigosh. I suspected it but never knew for sure. Oregon is a different country. I am delighted to hear that the rest of the world is still using real wheelweights: I was sure they were an endangered species. I truly did believe they hadn't been used in the whole country in the last 20 years.

I would happily share my spreadsheet but I don't have a clue how to attach a Excel spreadsheet to a post in this site. If someone will tell me how I will do it. Meanwhile, if you pm me an email address I do know how to attach it to an email.

Mystery metal is simple for me. If it easily scratches or dents, I can make a bullet out of it. It's the really hard stuff that is tough to diagnose. Is it a real find of say lino or mono, or is it s chunk of zinc?
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

There are some mixtures that will form a soft matrix with harder crystal structures suspended in it.
    This is from a Lyman ingot mold dumped out before it had fully cooled.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystery metal.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	248912
    Don't know what it is but it made great boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Mystery metal is simple for me. If it easily scratches or dents, I can make a bullet out of it. It's the really hard stuff that is tough to diagnose. Is it a real find of say lino or mono, or is it s chunk of zinc?
    And there are a bunch of different "Babbitt metals" that are real hard but make a good boolet, though they might be better used for mixing with softer stuff. One that had me going for a while was a bucket of cute little type letters that a friend gave me. I was so sure it was linotype I didn't even check the bullet weight. But it shot horrible in my 22 Hornet which is normally my best cast bullet shooter and the only caliber that gets the genuine linotype metal. But when I weighed the boolets and put this in my little spreadsheet it identified it right away as Foundry metal. This stuff is so hard it shatters when given the "pound" test (and probably some boolets shatter on the way to the target!) but is totally wonderful to alloy with wheelweights to make a very nice hard alloy.

Boolit Buddy
    If you ever find yourself near Reno send me a message. I'll send you home with a bucket of wheel weights.

Boolit Grand Master

During the early years of my casting career I was given several buckets of mixed type and several linotype pigs and pieces of pigs. Not knowing any better I cast a few bullets from this stuff. Beautiful fillout but talk about hard!

Banned
    If you want to know for sure, you can send BNE some to test with his XRF... that will tell the tale.

Boolit Buddy
    Anybody got some of the "lead"rolled up? About 1--1-1/4 wide roll. Might want to be careful with it. I understand decades ago phone companies used rolls to help seal cabinets from the elements. I also understand the alloy is not a common one. It is rather soft seeming, but in a casting pot a small amount can cause the whole pot to set up. Imagine having to drill out a pot. I'm not entirely certain about this, but suggest caution as a better part....
    A friend of my first wife worked BellS and said that some of the rolls were handy in a tackle box. At the time I had little use for cast lead, the only time I was around it was when Dad made fishing weights. Matter of fact I still have his molds...