RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for hearing protection?

Boolit Master
    Peltor tactical 7's ..............also have the inexpensive 6's. Big difference, between the two. Not as good quality, as the 7's. Uses AAA penlights, rather than the 9 volt, the 7's use. One side of the 6's gave up the ghost...........started squelching. Fortunately, each side has it's own on/off switch. Only one main switch for the 7's. The 6's are a less bulky.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I too have permanent damage....factory for 6 years and too much gunfire. Tinnitus in both ears. NOW I use earplugs plus Howard Light amplified muffs. Not perfect (the muffs don't seal around my glasses) but it is the best I can do at this point. I have used a number of different ear plugs under the muffs, they don't seem to make a difference, just find something that is comfortable.
    Last edited by Rick Hodges; 09-27-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Plugs and muffs for handguns. Both for ported rifles. Plugs go in fast when highly motivated & about to shoot a deer from blind. I don't shotgun hunt so most shooting is anticipated. Just plugs for .22LR.

Boolit Master

I performed noise surveys in the USAF for 20 years ('87 to '08). This entailed direct readings of noise producers and then dosimetry that measures a workers overall daily exposure directly. We then recommended hearing protection for workers exposed to hazardous noise based on published noise reduction ratings. If the protective equipment couldn't reduce at-the-ear exposures enough, time limits were used. The workers then received hearing tests each year to detect any hearing loss (to make sure the controls were effective). These procedures should be identical in private industry, so I hope that those who posted here who have hearing loss as a result of working are being compensated because their workplace screwed up.

That being said, people generally know if noise is too loud or whether or not hearing protection is effective. This is important because what works for one person may not work for another.

Personally, I think E-A-R Classic plugs made by 3M are some of the best protection for the majority of people--as long as they are worn properly. I bought a big box years ago and use a set until they get dirty and then use a new set. They are also cheap enough to give to guests. Every workplace I visited during my time in the USAF handed these out to visitors for their use when going into a high noise area. There are other good ones that are similar in design. I don't like any plugs with strings or bands attached.

For noise muffs, I have a Tasco Golden Eagles that I got a long time ago (20+ years). When I first put these on, I was shocked on how much noise they attenuated. I find them superior to anything else I have tried. These muffs are still made, but I have tried a new set. The problem with muffs is their seal can easily broken if you wear eye protection.

I use either the E-A-R plugs or Golden Eagle muffs when shooting handguns. Sometimes I use both when shooting a 357 mag as they really seem to be the most obnoxious (at least out of what I own).
    Last edited by Ickisrulz; 09-26-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I have custom-molded ear plugs from my audiologist and wear amplified muffs over them so that I can hear range commands. I worked in factories too and was also a cannon cocker.
    I also use the custom molded ear plugs. Got them for my son and I. Use them a lot for cutting the lawn, power tools, and even getting MRI's. Only prob is they really cut out sound. I like the idea of using the amplified muffs over them. Lot easier than trying to tilt them slightly out of the ear to hear things.

For everyday practice, I use foam plugs and electronic muffs. When hunting, it just depends. I take along some Surefire plugs but may or may not put them in depending on time.

I use the foam ones, the orange band ones, and Peltor/ Midway muffs individually- depends on circumstances. Motors, Loud music, and gunfire damaged mine. Some times all at once!
    When company comes to shoot I just leave the foam ones in until the guns are put up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Sometimes it seems heartless but its just nature's way of thinning the herd.
    In reference to the picture of the idiot using a pistol as an earplug:
    Never interfere with Darwin.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-27-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Banned
    Like most that spent time around machinery, gunfire and other sources of noise, I have suffered the consequences.

Fortunately my hearing is still very good overall but the tinnitus can be downright painful when I'm exposed to certain sounds/frequencies.
    Better use of protective equipment when I was younger would have prevented the damage I have suffered but there's no going back and fixing that now.

Like others on this thread, when shooting on an indoor range I prefer ear plugs & ear muffs. Same is true when I'm on the line around muzzle brakes, short barreled rifles and magnums.

Muffs are easier to quickly put on and take off so if I'm just going shoot a few rounds, I'll grab a pair of muffs. The major drawback to muffs is they interfere with wearing a broad rimmed hat. I know there are some muffs with behind the neck bands but I've not had good luck with those. Maybe I need to go back and try some newer designs?
    The tapered disposable ear plugs (not the super cheap little foam cylinders but the more cone shaped ones) are very effective but not real convenient to insert and remove quickly.

The electronic muffs worn over earplugs are useful when you need maximum protection but still need to hear range commands. I'm not a fan of the electronic muffs when I'm shooting alone outdoors, just a pair of plain old Peltor P7's work fine.

Like most of us, I have accumulated a collection of hearing protectors: Peltor Ultimate 10, Peltor P7, Howard Leight, Caldwell electronic, several different types of disposable plugs, etc.

I think it's far more important to HAVE hearing protection and to USE it than to wring your hands over which type is slightly better.
    I have an old pair Howard Leight with the NRR of 30, they are nice but honestly I grab the old blue Peltor muffs (NRR 25) 90% of the time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like my friend Outpost 75, I favor the custom molded variety of plugs, and when shooting outdoors, especially with long guns, I’m most likely using a set of these alone (I have accumulated 4 sets over the years so I generally have a set close by when needed.) When shooting indoors with handguns and other loud guns nearby I sometimes add a set of old fashioned Wilson or Peltor muffs on top of the plugs. Note that after all these years of loud noises (including teaching high school for 30 years ) I’m now trying to conserve what little hearing I have left.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

38 spl case in each ear

Banned
    Can you speak up, please? I can't hear you. lololololol
    But seriously folks: I saw a documentary once a long time ago that addressed an issue of Inuit's in Alaska having a VERY alarming rate of hearing loss. They concluded this:
    The very dramatic DIFFERENCE between the extreme quiet of hunting and the VERY loud and abrupt report of a high powered rifle being discharged was causing this hearing loss. It was not so much the level of the sound as the fact that the ambient sound was so low when it happened. Apparently we have a built in mechanism that at least slightly adjusts to loud noises.
    Just something to think about.
    Last edited by Traffer; 09-27-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Fortunately for me I have an Uncle that is hard of hearing. That sound crazy, but I don't want to lose my hearing!

I use good quality foam ear plugs, inserted deep.

I also am fortunate enough to be able to shoot outdoors.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Banned
    you mean you can shoot indoors

Boolit Grand Master
    From plugs & muff. Wish I had started as a kid.

Boolit Master

Electronic muffs for rifle and pistol. Baffle type plugs for shotgunning. Foam plugs for .22s. Baffles and standard muffs for wife....*veg*

Banned
    Did a little research Updated 9-28-19

Classifying them by their NRR levels, the headsets would fit in these main categories:
    https://www.tacticals.org/best-heari...-for-shooting/
    Up to 20 dB – Not suitable for firing any live round weapon, not even handguns. Suitable for most air handguns and air rifles.
    20 to 22 dB – Suitable for all air handguns and air rifles. Can handle most live round handguns.
    22 – 25 dB – Suitable for all handguns, can handle most low caliber rifles.
    25 – 28 dB – Suitable for all handguns, most rifles, and low gauge shotguns.
    Over 29 dB – Suitable for all usual weapons, including larger gauge shotguns.

"SITES RATED" = number of sites that rated this product.
    I only checked Amazon, maybe cheaper elsewhere
    the only product I have tried (and use) Howard Leight by Honeywell Quiet Band Shooting Earplugs, 1-Pair (R-01538)
    Last edited by Conditor22; 09-28-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Interesting data.
    I wonder how much real difference there would be with an extra 5-7DB of noise reduction?
    With a certain amount of sound coming through the skull rather than the ear canal, I have to wonder where the effectiveness of plugs and muffs starts to fail? Blast as opposed to volume type of sound. Also sound frequencies(high or low pitch).
    Perhaps a person should wear a sound proofing helmet of some sort for more effective noise reduction, though that could get inconvenient in many circumstances.
    Something to think about.

Banned
    Yes interesting chart. I checked the ear muffs I have. They are the Harbor Freight $6.99 units. HF makes $3.99, $6.99 and $12.99 units.
    The $3.99 ones do not have a db rating. teh $6.99 ones have a 23 db noise reduction and the $12.99 ones have a 26 db noise reduction. I find that the 23 db ones work well unless I am shooting a monster of a gun, or the the guy next to me is. Then I use the squishy plugs under the muffs and pretty much nothing bothers me.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use plain old cheap foam disposable plugs and then I wear walker razor slims over them. I double up since my ears are sensitive. Works great. If do only one or the other it still works but is WAY louder. When I turn the volume up I can still hear everything just fine with foam plugs in my ears. You can find walker razors on sale around $40 on the net if you shop. I have the patriots. I've always doubled up fro the last couple decades no matter what muffs I use along with foam plugs. It helps tremendously. At least with electric muffs I can hear while doing so. Explains why the razors seem loud without adding plugs as they are the lowest on the totem pole chart above.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-28-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast