Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlackHawk

Moderator Emeritus

BlackHawk

I worked the local gunshow last weekend.
    I am always on the lookout for a 41 Mag (the gun or Brass or mold or whatever).
    I did get some used brass and a set of old RCBS steel dies which appeared to be NIB

Anyway, no guns at the show the got me excited, But I was told by someone that the LGS in that town had a used BLackHawk on the shelf.

I went there yesterday, and the only 41 they had was NIB for $550...more than I was looking to pay.
    ...BUT, this isn't what this post is about.

I owned several BlackHawks in the past, but currently don't own one. I'm thinking I'd like to have one again, but I'm not liking the looks (metal finish) of the new ones. It seems the older ones (from the 1980s???) had a more polished finish.

...ANYWAY, while I was at the LGS, they had a older used Black Hawk (6.5" I believe?) in 357M. It had some sort of a small bluing blemish (slight pitting maybe) on the outside of the barrel (muzzle end)...like you'd see if a drop of blood was there or something? Also, the frame had been removed, evidenced by the boogered frame screws and blacking scraped off the aluminum frame from incorrect sized screwdriver bit. They had it priced at $399. I didn't buy it, but I've been thinking about it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    They may be asking $399, but chances are they will take less, make an offer.
    All they can say is no, and you can increase the offer.

There's a lot of .357 Blackhawks around, Jon. I think you can do better on condition for the price. But, sometimes a particular piece just calls out to you (don't ask me about it!).

Hold out for the .41mag. This one is new and it's one of the best Rugers I've ever had. Fit, finish, and accuracy are very good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Hold out for the .41mag.

...SNIP
    Yeah, I am thinking this is the best direction.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master
    I never thought I would care for a blackhawk, until a fellow at work showed me the one he was selling. 7-1/2" barrel, chambered for 45 Colt. It was love at first sight. I already had dies, that helped to make the decision to buy it. Had Pachmyar grips, plus I got the original box and wood grips.

Boolit Master

Ya hold off I came across my 41 BH
    As new in box at cabelas wasn't looking for one It just called out to me flipped the tag over $319. Told the clerk ya I'll take it put a set of Bowen sights on it along with a set of Hollywood grips done Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181025_135258.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	248853
    I also sent the Cylinder to DougGuy
    Last edited by LUCKYDAWG13; 09-25-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    There are several things to consider when looking at Blackhawks.
    Old Model or New Model?
    Me,, I always snatch up any OM's that are priced fairly. They only made them for 20 years,, and are better handling in my opinion than my NM's.
    But I also have many NM's to enjoy as well.
    If 41 mag is your desire,, then by all means,, hold out. BUT,, the 357 can be a great gun as well. If you could get it out the door for $350 or less,,, then you'd enjoy it until a 41 comes to roost.
    Condition comes into play as well. A beater,, vs. a safe queen.
    All original,, or buggered up a bit. You mentioned the g/f screws buggered. Look closer at the base pin latch & the ERH screw to tell you even more.
    Does it have the original box & papers,, or "just the gun?"

Lots to consider.

Boolit Master
    Nice looking 41 you have there Luckydawg. It appears to be a great shooter as well.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master
    The Blackhawks have come in a great number of variants over the years. I still kick myself for letting my Buckeye Special 32 H&R/32-20 combo go, but I certainly don’t intend to make the same mistake with my 327 FM eight shooter! I’ve never warmed up to the 41, but as they say, “ to each his own.” Regardless of caliber, the Blackhawk sets the standard for single action revolvers.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Ya hold off I came across my 41 BH
    As new in box at cabelas wasn't looking for one It just called out to me flipped the tag over $319. Told the clerk ya I'll take it put a set of Bowen sights on it along with a set of Hollywood grips done Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181025_135258.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	248853
    I also sent the Cylinder to DougGuy

What is the purpose/advantage of the Bowen sights? Of all the handgun manufacturers, the sights used on SA Rugers strike me as the best of the lot. I’ve never really felt the need to change mine out.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I got 2 BH , many years ago I got a 357 M that had the plate for the rear sight missing. The guy was thinking it was the old model and with the plate missing and said the half cock was not working . So he sold it to me for $100 it had look like oak grips put on it. At the time I was still in the state of MA and brought it to the state police to have a check on it and told them about what the guy said about. The officer told me that is a new model and dose not have a half cock and just need to have the plate replace is no problem. So they where glad for me and like how it handle . they did run a check on the guy info I gave beside my own. To transfer owner ship they sent me to the town cops and they where the ones try to give me a hard time. My dad was with me then . I also got the 327 M 8 shot and will not part from both of them. Work on getting my 2nd SP 101 I have the 357 M in it ,now wait for the 327 M to show up I bought the 357 new and will be the 327 also
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

By the finish, are you talking about the stainless guns? It does seem they have a more rough brushed finish compared to a polish of some older guns. Personally I like the brushed finish better. $550 is not a bad price for a brand new blackhawk. As far as I'm concerned, Ruger is currently putting out some of the best revolvers they have ever made.

It's been a few months, but BJ Trapline in Darwin had some nice blackhawks, new and used at the time. He's a great guy, and has some of the best prices you will find.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    By the finish, are you talking about the stainless guns? It does seem they have a more rough brushed finish compared to a polish of some older guns. Personally I like the brushed finish better. $550 is not a bad price for a brand new blackhawk. As far as I'm concerned, Ruger is currently putting out some of the best revolvers they have ever made.

It's been a few months, but BJ Trapline in Darwin had some nice blackhawks, new and used at the time. He's a great guy, and has some of the best prices you will find.
    I have been to BJ trapline many times, but not recently...I should make that trip...Thanks for the reminder.

Yes, I am talking blued BlackHawks. Maybe it's just the one's I've seen? it sure seems like the older ones are polished better than the new ones? Maybe my experience isn't conducive of what the overall situation is?
    ...and just to be clear, I am talking all NM Blackhawks. The OM Blackhawks are really rare in my circles.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    What is the purpose/advantage of the Bowen sights? Of all the handgun manufacturers, the sights used on SA Rugers strike me as the best of the lot. I’ve never really felt the need to change mine out.

Froggie
    Sights are a subjective question, for sure. But I am in Froggie's camp on the Ruger S/A sights--they are NICE.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus

Sights.
    Dang I can't remember exactly, as I was looking at two pistols on the "used" table.
    Either the "boogered screw" 357 Blackhawk has aftermarket fiberoptic green/red sights or it was a well worn Security Six that had those sights? They gave a real nice sight picture and they weren't the large gaudy style fibers. But anyway, stock Blackhawk sights are nice too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Buddy
    Great to see you at the show, Jon. I always enjoy our visits.

I’ll keep my eye open for a .41 Blackhawk for you.

I think Ruger has tightened up their Quality Assurance over the last few years. I have had some disappointments from them. Oversized, out-of-round chamber on a brand new M77V (1980), brand new SP101 that jammed on DA out of the box (1995), the .41 Blackhawk with the crooked front sight new out of the box that I told you about ( 1983). And a few others.

In spite of those disappointments, I recently bought a M77 6.5 Creedmoor and a couple of Bisley Blackhawks. The Lipsey .44 Special needed a taller front sight (easy fix) and the .32 H&R had 2 oversized cylinder throats - .3145 vs .314 on the rest. Doug Guy fixed that one up. Oh, and I did need a taller front sight on the .32. Fermin Garza had one that took care of that problem. https://fermincgarza.com/shop?olsPag...gle-six-sights

No regrets on these as they shoot well and look pretty nice. While some of the little details are annoying, I still think the Rugers are a good value for the money.

B&J Trapline - when my daughter from East Tennessee was here for a visit, I made a point of taking her there for the experience. Having to step over the snoozing black Lab while checking out all the guns hanging from the ceiling was not something she had seen before, or since, I imagine

Vendor Sponsor

What would be SWEET would be to use a medium framed Flattop BH, put a takeoff .41 barrel on it and rechamber a .357 cylinder to 41 caliber. The cylinder walls and webs would be thick enough to take 35kpsi loads *IF* you wanted to push it that far, but it would make a real nice warmed over 41 Special and be pleasant to shoot if you wanted to load it into the 25 - 28kpsi power band.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

Froggie
    The Bowen sights are easier for my eyes to pick up I put them on my SBH 44 too they just work for me Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190926_142805_resized (2).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	248918

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    What would be SWEET would be to use a medium framed Flattop BH, put a takeoff .41 barrel on it and rechamber a .357 cylinder to 41 caliber. The cylinder walls and webs would be thick enough to take 35kpsi loads *IF* you wanted to push it that far, but it would make a real nice warmed over 41 Special and be pleasant to shoot if you wanted to load it into the 25 - 28kpsi power band.
    I would love it if Ruger would bring out the SP101 in a 41 mag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast