MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: PCP info

PCP info

I'm looking at getting a Pre charged pneumatic at some point but really don't know where to start. I like pellet guns cause they're cheap to shoot, but PCP's are not cheap to get into. I'm looking for something easily filled by a hand pump as compressors are expensive and I don't look to reliably be able to get a tank filled. Any help at all with links, sites or any info to point me in the right direction will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php
    Deep dark hole, bring flashlight and bag of Cheetos.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Airgun Nation is another good website. I have a Yong Heng 4500 psi compressor that works flawlessly purchased new at $200 off eBay. Hand pumps are $50 and are a REAL workout and not for those with health or heart problems!!!

Crosman Marauders are what I started with but you can get an Urban or Gauntlet for $300. The .177 and .22 ammo are the lowest cost and both work well for pesting. The .177 is limited to 50-60 yards where .22 can be stretched out to 100 yds. Whereas .25 and .30 ammo is the highest cost.

PCPs are a pleasure to shoot because there is virtually no recoil or noise, especially if you use a LDC. PCPs are extremely accurately and they will amaze even the novice shooter.

Moderator Emeritus

I have two PCP air rifles, and have had nothing but pleasure from both over past three years use! Both Czechoslovakian Brno manufactured for Air Arms, and both purchased "used/returns" from Pyramid Air, they have been most reliable and relatively easy to fill with a Hill brand pump. One "trick" on both is I paid Pyramid their ten dollars to have them check rifles out before shipment -- so the air tanks came to me just about filled. Hence, I never have had to pump either up from zero p.s.i. .
    My first -- a T200 -- was necessitated when the "Powers" at club passed a new rule forever forbidding indoor (.22 winter league) firearm shooting, so a group formed/started an air rifle replacement. My budget not allowing the >$1,000 most spent -- I found and bought the Air Arms (.177) at half the outlay, and the T200 shoots much better than I do! At camp, I'm far enough from other domiciles to "legally" discharge firearms, but for the most part -- vermin et al -- I was so elated with the AA T200, I saw -- also a refurb/return -- some months later a S200 in .22. Having the two -- both using the same easily removable air tank, enables me to take one to any event/shoot -- with the air tank off the 2nd as a back-up/spare.
    I do not know your body weight -- BUT -- the higher the pressure in your tank/PCP, the more poundage of force is required with each pump. I weigh in at about 230lbs, and at 2.5K pressure, there's very few pounds weight left on floor beneath the bottom of my sneakers...something for you to consider.
    Re a source, as indicated, both came from Pyramid -- I was/am happy with both -- and, should you get a "refurb/return" -- their ten dollar checkout seemed a good choice -- which I'd do again.
    BEST!
    geo

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

I've looked at GTA a bit but it's a VERY deep and dark hole, forgot to bring spare batteries for the flashlight. I still need to check out airgun nation, are they the ones with the show on Pursuit?

For me, PCP's would start out at 22 but preferably 25 and up. 177's I'd rather grab a multi pump and a few hundred pellets for 50 bucks.
    I'd prefer something bigger as it'll be easier to keep a mould warm as I intend to cast.

I'll have to look more at compressors too, didn't realize they could be found at prices that good. I do have some health problems that might limit when I could do that kind of workout with a pump.

I like the gauntlet except for the stock, but I could live with it. I saw a review where they fired about 4 full magazines before power started to drop off. That's something I'd like too, but other than reading reviews with listed velocities for each shot I don't know what to look for. I think regulated would be the way to go but I'm not even really sure exactly what that means, it regulates the amount or pressure I'm not sure.
    What do I need to look for to get more shots between fills, pressure volume etc.

Thanks again and thanks for any future help.

Moderator Emeritus

Overkill -- airguns are indeed a different planet -- and, it's not too bad a planet . Air Venturi came out with their Nomad II compressor which is quite the 20-pound marvel -- runs off either 12VDC (e.g., your vehicle's battery) or plugs into a regular 110 Volt outlet. They can be had for roughly seven hundred U S dollars. Recently (???) Pyramid Air has had them on sale.
    I kind of agree with you re caliber. My squirrel-gun is .22, albeit a lot of friends make them disappear with their .177s. I guess it's a matter of choice. However, if you should get into 10-meter target -- at least in our league -- it's ONLY .177. My .177 (AA T200) is a tad on the low power end, engineered primarily for target shooting. One MAY easily increase it's power by turning a few screws -- but, I elected to keep it as stock for the target work, and picked up the factory-return-refurb'd .22 for critters. Bion -- between us -- I so enjoy shooting the .22 more... BEST wishes, whatever you elect.
    One added note is generally, I've been told, the bigger the caliber, the louder the report; and, with most PCPs, the number of shots decreases. This opens still another window of regulated/moderated ones, but these generally add mucho-$$$s to their price. Me? Say, with my S200, I've learned (using my chrony) that I get repeatable accuracy from ~2500 p.s.i., down to just a hair more than 1,000 p.s.i. -- after which I simply swap air cylinder with my back-up. Works for me....
    geo

Boolit Master

I started with a .25 Marauder and a pump. The rifle preformed well, but I was afraid if the gage.

I would only fire 16 rounds before getting the pump out, and if I could do every stroke right, it took about 110 strokes.

The pump has a learning curve, too it works best if given time at each end of the stroke for the air to get through all the little passage ways inside.

Now I have a .17 cal Marauder, field target model. I fired it over a chronograph, at shots#11-20 the extreme spread was 3 fps.

A 20 shot string from shots# 26-45 yielded a 10 fps extreme spread. I continued firing over the chrono, at shot #62 the first on to travel at less velocity the slowest of the 20 shot string. Had shot #70 fired before low hits were noticed at 25 yards.

The average velocity was 864 with 10.3 grain pellet.

The 17 gives a lot of shooting with a fill of air.

I shoot off my deck towards the rear of the lot, at 78 yards there is a couple swingers in front of a small berm. They can be hit with the .17, but its easier with the .25.

About 2.5 mill holdover with 35 yard zero.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 10-05-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Mold
    What kind of accuracy are you guys getting from the 22 cals at 50/100 yards?

Boolit Buddy
    Two years ago the 100 yard EBR was won using a .22 compatto.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamVT View Post
    I cannot address 100 yards, as frankly have never tried target potential at this distance. (For both rimfire and center-fire, I "zero" at 75 yards).

Re my S200 Air Arms .22 PCP, at 10 meters in a "Tipton Best Gun Vice", the ten-shot groups most-often can be covered with a U S quarter -- generally eight holes a smidgeon larger than a U S nickel, with a couple a bit outside -- which may be from my movement of improvised rest. At 62 feet -- short pistol range distance, the groups generally may be covered with an orange.
    Two factors, in my stream of thoughts, are 1st: I'd not wish to shoot anything at greater distance for either sport hunting or vermin dispatch (that's what the .22 rimfire's for); and 2nd, albeit there's a "sweet range of pressure" -- mine is roughly from 2,450psi down to ~1,100 - 1,250psi -- being a non regulated PCP, there still is too much variability between pressure drops, as well as pellets used, to insure real levels of consistency for me. (For me/my PCP, on one day H&N Barracuda Hunter's make the best group; on another day, they're out-shined by Crosman Premieres.)
    Hope I contributed to helping answer your query some....
    geo

I'd never given a lot of thought to noise. Assuming they're not hypersonic, are there any airguns that wouldn't be hearing safe? Not worried about neighbors, just keeping my hearing.

Moderator Emeritus

Airguns, including PreChargedPneumatics, are remarkably quiet. I regularly shoot both my Air Arms S200 and a Benjamin Marauder Pistol with zero hearing protection needed. Some -- like the Sig Sauer Nitro -- have built in moderators (the equivalent of a "silencer" for airguns -- which ARE legal, as opposed to any being on a firearm (unless you have permit, pay tax, etc.)) -- which even make them whisper quiet. For others, companies like Hill Airgun -- https://hillairgun.com -- make and purvey add-ons. Re NOT "hearing safe", you asked "any airguns" -- and I believe there is a direct correlation between bore size and noise. To wit, The AirForce Texan delivers a . 45 caliber lead bullet at speeds up to 1,000 fps and can obtain over 500 ft-lbs of energy. It is advertised as being capable of deer harvesting! While I have not ever seen (or heard ) one of these, I'd surely imagine hearing protection would in fact be more than a good idea with them. A nice (imho) review of this big boy, which propels bullets at similar velocity/power as a .45 Colt, is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2kMyMLEBA.
    geo

Boolit Master
    This is good info, and a good place to start. Good rule of thumb: the bigger the bore, the more air required. If you only do a modest amount of shooting, and keep the bore on the smaller side--say, no larger than 25--and don't mind combining heavy aerobic workouts with shooting, you can probably get by with a hand pump and something like a Benjamin Fortitude. But if you enjoy shooting--and PCP's ARE addictive--you'll quickly tire of a hand pump, both figuratively and literally.
    I'll take a little different approach, and throw out a slightly different direction here. Start off with a quiet repeater in 22, like a Benjamin Fortitude, or RWS Stormrider--both in the $2-300 range, + or -. And, IF you live near a bigger town, or a lake where people scuba dive, find a scuba shop or a paint ball place and find out what a fill will cost. Better yet, if you have a buddy or two in a volunteer fire dept, they will have access to a dive compressor (likely a 4500 psi one at that). Then, buy you a scuba tank, and have it filled, and you'll have enough air for literally thousands of shots before a refill is necessary. Get a big one--at least 80+ CU Ft, as the cost-per-fill is the same no matter what size tank you have. You might even find one for under $100 on Craig's List or similar; even a new one won't run more than $200 bucks or so, although you'll need a proper fill adapter to connect to your air gun (probably another $50 or so, if you shop around).

One last word--as George and others have mentioned, these smaller bores with shrouded barrels or muzzle accessories are very quiet, and plenty powerful to do pest control with. The big-bores, such as a Texan, or Evanix Sniper, or even a Benjamin Bulldog, are quite loud by comparison, easily surpassing a 22 LR in noise. These are not neighbor friendly, and hearing protection is a must. And they also require LOTS of air to feed, which will likely necessitate a compressor of some sort. Like other things, it's probably best to start small, and work your way up.

Boolit Master

A good air rifle and very good shooter under favorable conditions it is very possible to shot MOA at 50 and 100 yards some shoot better than that. But it ain't easy the BC of pellets is very poor at best so the slightest puff of wind and there it goes! Go look at the AirgunNation.com site and check out the 2019 EBR and also the USARBR National championships these guys were shooting in extreme winds and did very well so it can be done good equipment and lots of practice.

RB

Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry it took almost three weeks to measure 50 yards (actually 147 feet: tree ) at camp, but with a gorgeous 70* sunny day yesterday, I so did. I was using a Benjamin Marauder .22 PCP pistol; 2,350psi start pressure, and fired 40 total pellets. I had expended 16 to sight in at this range -- most impressed that the drop from where I had zeroed in was surprisingly little, and the three bullseyes on attached target represent shots #17 through #40. (From past experience, pressure drop results in accuracy drop after ~44 shots.) Using my FX Radar chrony, the slowest shot speed was 559psi, and the speediest was 601psi. Average was 585; and STD Dev was 13.5.
    In any case, while sitting on a folding chair, hand-held, EIGHT SHOTS (one magazine) at each bullseye, is what I printed. My Marauder is adorned with a Leupold VX 2-7X rimfire 'scope, which I had at ~4x magnification.
    I hope this helps answer your query.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marauder 50yds 10 29-19.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	250455
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 10-30-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Boolit Master

George, You ought to be bringing in a few bushytails with that pistol.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, clodhopper -- but, I was remiss in not either posting a photo of the airgun, nor voicing that I keep the "stock" on it: the Mirauder comes with plain-Jane pistol grips AND the replaceable "stock". I was sitting on a wooden chair with my back to the on-cement-blocks RV "camp", with left elbow on my knee as a solid (sortof' ) support. Annnd, the range was three feet short of fifty yards -- huge tree determined that. I will add that this Mirauder is in fact my most favourite, ever, airgun. Trigger pull is less than two pounds; I get about forty decent shots per fill to ~2,450-2,500 pounds; and the whole unit is both light in weight and at same time, solid.
    The test target which comes with the airgun had ONE hole in it -- from five shots. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mirauder.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	250511
    Thanks again!
    geo

That would be good enough for my needs at 50 yards, another one to consider now that I've had a few setbacks and will have more time to contemplate my purchase since it's farther away than ever now.
    Have you ever duplicated the factory test target?

Sorry.
    Last edited by 0verkill; 11-14-2019 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Double post

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    That would be good enough for my needs at 50 yards, another one to consider now that I've had a few setbacks and will have more time to contemplate my purchase since it's farther away than ever now.
    Have you ever duplicated the factory test target?
    Broadcasting my relatively poor shooting skills I've come sort of close -- but no cigar! It is interesting to me that I have a plain-Jane Marauder as well as its more costly Woods Walker sister. Using same load, and same pellets, my plain-Jane Marauder always performs better than the 'Walker. I shoot eight-shot strings, and I've achieved a few at 10-meters which might be covered with a U S quarter -- but, they are indeed few. I was having a great day a few weeks ago when I shot the target in Post #15, but then again I was sitting, using my left elbow on left knee as a support -- "a human monopod".
    I have a new toy -- a Sig ASP20 -- a nitro .22 air rifle, and hope to have this as my camp (e.g., "quiet") game getter. Single digit temps and snow (9" yesterday) here, but I'm getting antsy re tree rats and rabbits. The bunnies make round holes atop the snow, digging down. Kind of a waiting game, but the generally put their heads up to look around, drop it, and then egress -- just the right amount of time to get a great shot...
    geo