Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chestnuts anyone ?

Chestnuts anyone ?

Everyone knows the story about the blite that killed the chestnut trees across the country. But only a few know about the trees that survived and are still standing today. I have a friend that has property with 3 of those trees. they are American chestnuts.
    I was told to pick up all of the nuts I want, but give some to others for seed for more trees. So that is what this post is about. I am thinking about sending maybe 10 seed nuts to anyone that will set them out for trees.
    I would like to see how many,if any, would like to receive the seed nuts.
    Let me know.
    shaper
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Boolit Master
    I absolutely love chestnuts. I will plant those seeds. Chestnuts, black walnuts, white walnuts, even beech nuts got pigged on when I was a kid.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

I would be happy to plant a few.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    We planted some last year and they are growing fine, we’ve had to watch them close because of the drought conditions after 1st week of August. They are fine, we got about 4 growing.

Boolit Master

I would be happy to plant some as well! I have a couple of buckeye trees that I grew from seed, one is getting pretty big now.

Boolit Master

Put me on the list!

Boolit Master
    A couple decades ago I purchased three American Chestnut trees from a virus free area. Two have survived and a couple years ago one had a nut that I planned to come back the next day to harvest. The squirrels or something go the nut before I returned.

What is the American Chestnut nut like? Is it one large edible nut within the exterior or is it multiple smaller edible portions within the shell?

It just occurred to me that some trees might be female and some male and one might need both to get nuts. Hope my two survivors cover the bases : ) .

Boolit Master
    I have 6 Dunstan chestnuts that have a couple of burrs this season. They area a double back cross hybrid that show both Chinese and American traits and are blight resistant to blight proof. I would love to plant a few seed, however, we are on the cusp of the original range and I'm afraid it would be an unsuccessful endeavor. I lost a few limbs to blight on the Dunstan trees last spring, but it appears to be self limiting. I would love to see the original trees return, and perhaps with gene splicing it will happen one day. Imagine that, GMO chestnut trees filling the Eastern forest again! Btw, thats being worked on rite now.

Moderator Emeritus
    I would plant a couple!

I'll plant and cultivate young trees. I can't keep more than two, but I will see that any extras get good homes. I'd be happy to pay shipping, for me and a few others, for your kindness.

Boolit Master

Before the seeds will germinate they have to be frozen for a couple weeks. Start them indoors and keep them in pots for two years. The hole should be twice the size of the crown and make sure you keep them watered for the first couple of years in the ground. you need two to pollinate but a Chinese will serve. I've tried unsuccessfully for 40 years to get an American Chestnut to reach the age of three. I've had better results with a Dunstan variety which as noted prior is a hybrid. I've planted 12, 4 have survived into their 5th year. I also have a European that is 9 years old No signs of blight.......yet. Good luck to any and all attempts. Your chances are going to be much better west of the Mississippi.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master
    Generous thought and great plan. I have 21 acres and would love to plant one or two (or as many as you can send). Planted a couple Pawpaws a few years ago and might have fruit in another year or so. I love roasted chestnuts. Had 'em regularly as a kid.

Vendor Sponsor

Have 36 acres and would love some seeds and instructions
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    If you decide to mail out the chest nuts I would like to try and get some started on our 24 acres in Arkansas. let me know if you need your shipping reimbursed.

Boolit Master

I also would like to have a few.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

I am one county out of the natural range..... (Spartanburg) but would absolutely give this a go. We have 10 acres that we try to manage as best we can for browse and forage, and a wife that embraces any challenge for native plants. Yes, please!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    I’d pay for shipping if you’d send me some, I’d keep them in the greenhouse after they go outside.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

sorry for not getting back to anyone. My first post was moved and I didn't know how to get here.
    some things you need to know.
    first I didn't know about putting the nuts in hot water for 20 minutes to kill the possible worm before it hatches. But it may not be a problem. I have a 5 gallon bucket half full with the chestnuts. the bucket has been in the trunk of my car for 3 weeks. The temperatures have been in the high 90's for about a month now. I think this took care of worm problem. I looked at some of the nuts today and they look like they are sprouting from the low end. I will put some in potting soil for a test. If they continue to sprout I will start shipping. In the mean time, I will go back and pick up more nuts and put them in hot water and start again.
    So, if anyone is still interested, please pm me your address. When they are ready I will ship to the first on the list. I will go the to the post office and see how much the shipping will be.
    any questions, pm me.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I keep finding old butternut shells on my property. But no current nuts to be found. I think those trees probably got wiped from blight as well.

Banned

id gladly pay shipping for some

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast