Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there visible differences between OLD H-380 and current production H-380?

First load of the H380 from a steel Red Dot can was in the 243, had the 243 brass on the bench and already sized and primed. Zero pressure signs, nice mild load. Just shot 3 rounds today was too busy shooting other stuff. I'll try a full box of them tomorrow. See how accuracy is. It does meter quite well. I like it!

I have some of the new that I have so far only used in .223 with 68gr jacketed. In looking around I've found some old data that looks to me to be a bit hot for the new stuff. I also noted Hodgdon's site no longer has data for it in .223, but I believe the burn rate is very much like CFE 223, perhaps a tad slower. I do remember visible differences in AA2700. When it first came out it was a true spherical powder, but became flattened balls later.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

I just opened a bottle of Thunderbird T870, looks identical to the old H870 probably because they both are WC870, perfectly round little balls. I think 15meter made a score!
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    First load of the H380 from a steel Red Dot can was in the 243, had the 243 brass on the bench and already sized and primed. Zero pressure signs, nice mild load. Just shot 3 rounds today was too busy shooting other stuff. I'll try a full box of them tomorrow. See how accuracy is. It does meter quite well. I like it!
    Tried 20 rounds of this old H380 from an original Hogdon can, pre-zip code era stuff that came with the lot.

Shot 4, 5 shot groups that ran right at an inch. About par for this rifle. Not bad for powder that's probably 60 years old.

Odd part was, while shooting there was almost an ammonia odor. This normal with H380?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Tried 20 rounds of this old H380 from an original Hogdon can, pre-zip code era stuff that came with the lot.

Shot 4, 5 shot groups that ran right at an inch. About par for this rifle. Not bad for powder that's probably 60 years old.

Odd part was, while shooting there was almost an ammonia odor. This normal with H380?
    No not that I've ever noticed.
    Charter Member #148

This old powder is dirtier burning than the newer powders I've used. Lots of powder fouling.

Another shot or two of Wipe-out doesn't take that long.

I was gifted 2 lbs of that same powder by a friend who said the dirty part was too much for him. I stashed it for a couple of yrs and then along came a BAR 30-06 rebore to 338-06 and this the powder the rifle loves and it shoots clean. Maybe it just likes .338 holes better but it's no dirtier than 4895 in that gun, and this is with std primers. The cans of H380 I have do not have much of an odor to either of them at all. It looks like you have a nice score there.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12