Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lubing Help

Boolit Buddy

Lubing Help

I just started casing and lubing BP 45 colt. My bullet seating die and factory crimp die on my lee turret press gets gummed up from lube. I pan lube the bullets. Is there a better way to pull the bullets out of the lube and not get a bunch all over the bullet? I dont want to spend a ton of time cleaning each bullet of lube.
    thanks

Boolit Master

What are you using to cut the bullets out of the lube pan ?

What are you using for lube ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    Get an empty case just a hair larger than the boolits and cut them out

Let the lube set then put the pan on a hot plate and just when the boolits get warm dump the lot and the boolits will slide right out

Boolit Buddy
    I am using Gillies lube from Epay. I dont understand Conditor. Are you saying put each bullet in a case a hair larger? That would take too much time. I was removing them from the pan with a 45-70 case, but the lube does push up the case when you use it multiple times, then the lube gets on the top of the bullets and not just the grooves where you want it.
    thanks

Vendor Sponsor

Pan lubing is easy.

A good lube will allow you to push the bullets out the bottom of the lube cake CLEAN with out using a cutter of any kind.
    All the grooves lubed perfect and zero lube where you don't want it.

Pan lubing is crazy hard and messy at first if you get bad advice.

------------------------------------------

I'm headed for bed and then the high country to do some elk scouting for a few days. Play nice while I am gone. Hopefully you will get some good advice.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 09-25-2019 at 12:49 AM.
    Chill Wills

Hello Handshaker,
    I looked up your Gilles Lube, is it soft? It sounds like it's not setting up to me,
    you might try adding some Bee's Wax, or maybe some Paraffin Wax to stiffen it after pan lubing.

Hope this helps, AntiqueSledMan.

Hello Handshaker.

I tried to pan lube and I guess I never did it correctly because I always hated it. Had to clean each Bullet after loading, gummed up my seating die, then I felt like I was shooting black powder when I shot.

I highly recommend you try powder coating using the tumble method. Lots of posts here will walk you through that process. Much quicker and cleaner than messing with wax.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Grand Master

Stick you block of lube/bullets in the fridge and then push out the bullets when the whole mass has cooled.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Just stand the bullets up in a tin bred loaf pan and pour in the lube till the grooves are covered. I like to use a .40 or .45 caliber leave factory rounds come packed in, you will find a bunch at the range because I don't think they reload anymore
    They also are ideal for storing your cast bullets.

Attachment 248842

When the lube sets up just push them out with your thumb and they come out clean. Just lay a shop towel down and the flat bench top and rub the base clean. Just a swipe is all you need to get it clean so the wad don't stick on the base.

Attachment 248843

Banned

when i was loading .45-70 1:20 or 1:30 alloy greasers that dropped at about .459", i never sized them. no need to do so. i dip lubed them, then cookie cut with a case. easy peasy, accurate, and faster than pan lubing. they were match winning bullets, too.

Boolit Master
    "Just push them out with your thumb" Sometimes that works. Sometimes it doesn't. I usually have several that come out clean, with NO lube on them, and others that come out perfect. I use the SPG lube.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll try another batch. I think i might have rushed the removal last time using a 45-70 case and stacking 2 in each time when removing from the wax. I do powdercoat car parts at home but dont really want to take the time to do bullets as well. I try the push out method. Is the lee alox alone a good enough lube?
    thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handshaker View Post
    I'll try another batch. I think i might have rushed the removal last time using a 45-70 case and stacking 2 in each time when removing from the wax. I do powdercoat car parts at home but dont really want to take the time to do bullets as well. I try the push out method. Is the lee alox alone a good enough lube?
    thanks
    The LEE Alox-tumble lube seems to work good, but the extra Alox needs to be cleaned off the bullet after seating.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the same technique as LeadPot and it works like a charm. I do, however, put the pan with bullets and the just-poured warm lube into the freezer for about 10 minutes or less. The bullets set up great and punch right out of the lube.

Boolit Grand Master

I pan lube 38,40, and 45 caliber bullets with spg or emmerts improved. I have a brownie pan and use them in each caliber. A cake cutter can be made from a fired case or length of hobby tubing. I stack the bullets in the pan and hat to where lube is liquid in a double boiler type set up. I then let cool to where lube is set up firm nd set in refrigerator to finish cooling. Cut out while still cool. On soft lubes a 1/2 hour to 45 mins in the freezer may be helpful.

Once I had the pans filled with lube and holes I leave them dedicated to lube and caliber, makes setting bullets back in the holes and keeping them upright easier when handling. Cool or cold lube is stiffer and cuts cleaner.
    I sit the pan of bullets in the pan of water on 2 rails to allow water to flow under pan also. This helps prevent scorching and burning the lube. It also is safer when melting wax's and oils. Heat to liquid lube and let cool to solid and set in refrigerator or freezer to solidify lube.

A simple cake cutter from a cast or tubing can be made inn several ways I made pass thrus from tubing,