Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinion on scope

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    If the factory stock doesn't tighten up your groups just send it into savage for testing as others have said. They’ll group test it for you.

Boolit Master

Weavers are fine
    Watching with interest
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I called Dave (curmudgeon) at BPI about a question I had about slugs, which he solved for me, but the conversation turned to shotguns and scopes. He told me that he had an Alpen scope on their test mule with MANY rounds to it's credit and in his words "you can't kill it". He didn't care that it was an inexpensive Chinese scope, only that it stayed together. I was suprised to say the least.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Made it to the range this morning. Weaver K6W Microtrac scope and OEM stock. 1st 2 rounds touching, after that....all over. Disregard the small holes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191015_093056.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	249809 Why me?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

What kind of ammo are you using? Reloads? what slugs?

If you are loading your own then maybe you should try some factory ammo and see if the gun shoots with it.

I'd recommend some Lightfield 20 ga Slugs as they seem to be the most accurate and consistent out there.

If the gun won't shoot them,,, Send it back!

Your problems don't sound like Scope problems, and if it is a gun problem you should send it to the factory for repair and not mess with it.

Right now it appears to me that you are shooting in the dark and grasping at straws. A box of Lightfields will cost you <$10 and you will know for sure in 5 shots if it is the ammo or the gun. That gun shouldn't recoil hard enough to affect any scope unless your mounts are loose.

Really like to see you get this gun shooting.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Randy, I have tried all the factory ammo. These are some of the pics from the very first range day.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_081310.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	249821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_081318.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	249822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_083503.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	249823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_083511.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	249824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_085032.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	249825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_085046.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	249826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_091251.jpg 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	249827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190603_091513.jpg 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	249828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_091319.jpg 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	249829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_091326.jpg 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	249830

Well it looks to me that Target #4 is the right ammo. Accurate Full Bore? What is that?

I'd still try some Lightfield Slugs in it to see if they work.

What you are looking for is an easily obtainable "Baseline" ammo that works, that you can compare everything else to. That way you always have something repeatable to test against.

I always sight in my rifles with a "Commonly Available Factory Load" and that becomes the Mechanical Zero for that rifle. (0/0) Then correct that zero for my Reloads with different size bullets. That way I always have a repeatable zero to go back to when I'm done shooting and know where the gun will shoot with easily obtainable ammo.

Everything else is with relation to that Mechanical Zero and is recorded in a little book that I can refer to when shooting other than factory loads.

IN the picture below the rifle is mechanical zeroed at 200 yards with PPU Factory 150 gr ammo. The page shown has elevation offsets for a 205 gr cast boolit at 50,100,150,200 M. The rear sight (Redfield Olympic) is then returned to its Mechanical Zero after shooting or effectively rezeroing the gun to the 150 gr Factory load.

Sights or optics are always returned Mechanical Zero after shooting so I am always starting at the same place. Scope Dials are zeroed out to Mechanical Zero and Stops are set and scales zeroed on Receiver Sights. I don't change the zero on Red Dot Sights, I just hold over or ?.

On a shotgun where 100 to maybe 150 yards would be the farthest you would shoot. Zeroing at say 75 yds would yield 1" high at 50 and 3" low at 100, and then you would shoot at 125 and 150 just to see what the drop is and put that in your head or better yet record it for future use.

This post is NOT directed entirely at you, but hoping others can unravel the mystery of sighting a gun in with multiple loads.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-16-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

As far as factory, Winchester seems to do the best. Accurate mold # 62-370s.

The smith has it now, looking over everything I've done. He'll get back with me and make recommendations. We have already decided to re-do the bedding and crown the barrel. It doesn't have one, sharp edge with burr inside.

Boolit Grand Master

Did it shoot better with the original stock? Other than the lucky 3 shots on the top right target, none of those groups is good. So the gun never shot good? Lots of mixed reports from you.

The answer is a glaring, send it to Savage. Do not let a gunsmith monkey with a known bad gun.

Boolit Master

Not really. Those targets were shot on the Boyds stock. Called Savage, those people are hard to talk to. That's when I found out they only have a 1 year warranty.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, I've had nothing but good things with Savage in the past. Sometimes you just get an dingus on the line, they don't hire the top of the line to sit and answer a phone. I would try again, and ask to send it in for repair. Don't even say much, just ask for an RMA number and a shipping label.

If you really don't want to do that, then I can see where you would try a recrown. Honestly the worst problems I've heard of these is a greatly oversized bore. Have you slugged yours yet?

Boolit Master

Slugged at .615. She told me they would not provide a shipping label. No crown at all, looks like it was cut and left. Smith agreed it didn't look nor feel good to him. Has a burr inside the muzzle all the way around. I have looked at several since this observation, all the others have a nice crown with an outside radius...not mine.

Boolit Grand Master

Well that about solves my on again, off again want for a Savage 220. Too bad, they used to be a great company that would have stood behind an obvious defect like that.

Boolit Master

I think all new guns are a bit iffy, especially when it comes with a plastic stock. But yeah..I'm done with Savage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12