Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star progressive sold here

Boolit Grand Master

Star progressive sold here

I would have thought it would be worth more than it sold for.
    $350+shipping
    I have on just like it.
    Same caliber.
    Is that about the right price, or did the buyer get a great deal????

Boolit Master
    Bought mine from a member for 3C notes.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master
    I sold mine a few years ago for about the same price.

They are a great machine but lack the versatility of a good modern progressive. I bought it originally because of nostalgia...and I suspect that is why most people get one. Mine sat idle for years after I acquired a Dillon 1050...the Dillon was easily twice as fast.

Once the price gets to $400, a 550 makes a lot more sense IMHO. Cheap and easy caliber conversions as well as parts and support if anything does wrong.

What surprises me is that RCBS Green Machines sell for about $200...and they are truly a piece of junk (I owned one). At least the Star works every time and you do not need to prime off the press.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

been wanting one in 38 for awhile and that was the top end of what I wanted to pay, had the extra funds so I jumped because I knew I'd kick myself later if I did not buy it. my wife says its my christmas present for this year.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    The price of a star is relative. I have 7 stars from 45 acp to 32 S&W. sometimes not the fastest but still the Best. Most If not all the Other are always reinventing what was there best or new improved . Stars will only keep there selling value But Increase in value . All the rest will be nothing but Future scrap metal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    The price of a star is relative. I have 7 stars from 45 acp to 32 S&W. sometimes not the fastest but still the Best. Most If not all the Other are always reinventing what was there best or new improved . Stars will only keep there selling value But Increase in value . All the rest will be nothing but Future scrap metal
    In real dollars the Star has lost almost all value.

A 20 year old Dillon 650 can easily sell for 75% of the new value. That means you used it for 20 years and sold it for more than you paid.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned

the were a precision work of art. But more complicated then something like a square deal and finding parts or support for them is about impossible. I have one that was given to me by a poster on this forum. its set up in 38 special and I still use it. Would I recommend one to someone looking for a progressive press that has 400 bucks? NOPE. But for some old salt like me that likes old school its a kick to use once in a while.

Boolit Master
    with Star Machine Works back on the market, located in NJ. .There are an abundance of new produced parts available . All are made to original spec and material.
    Recently Purchase a new powder slide and changeable Bushing for my 32 S&W machine
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    I have one that was given to me in 38spl. It works well until something happens but is a pita to get set up. It will dump powder whether there is a case there or not. It's difficult to replace a case once it starts on the press if is has an issue. Don't let powder or cases run out and keep pulling the handle. I prefer loading on my 550b.

Boolit Grand Master

I've always wanted one but have never made the commitment. Theres just something about that old world craftsmanship.

Boolit Grand Master
    Over the half century plus that they have been produced many upgrades and work around shave been developed. For those who have problems with the powder deliver system there is now a cut out system so you can stop the powder drop at will... you just need to remember to cut it back on!

If you get it set up and work with it as designed (and improved) the Star is a precision piece of equipment that has never been beat.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    with Star Machine Works back on the market, located in NJ. .There are an abundance of new produced parts available . All are made to original spec and material.
    Recently Purchase a new powder slide and changeable Bushing for my 32 S&W machine
    Link?
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    For Those who are Un informed
    starmachineworks.com
    email Bruce
    he is also a member here
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Bub
    For those of us that either weren't around or weren't paying attention, what year did the Star stop being produced and sold at retail and what was the last retail price?

A 20 year old Dillon 650 can easily sell for 75% of the new value. That means you used it for 20 years and sold it for more than you paid.
    That’s what you get when you have lifetime free replacement of any part that gets worn or damaged. A 34 year old machine is just as good as a new one.

34 years ago a Square Deal cost $120, over the years, as they have made improvements, they have adapted them to it for free. That’s why it would easily sell for more than twice what it cost new after loading hundreds of thousands of rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by red67 View Post
    For those of us that either weren't around or weren't paying attention, what year did the Star stop being produced and sold at retail and what was the last retail price?
    They were $710 March 1 1979.

https://www.starreloaders.com/

Banned

yup that's there Achilles heal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have one that was given to me in 38spl. It works well until something happens but is a pita to get set up. It will dump powder whether there is a case there or not. It's difficult to replace a case once it starts on the press if is has an issue. Don't let powder or cases run out and keep pulling the handle. I prefer loading on my 550b.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    They were $710 March 1 1979.

https://www.starreloaders.com/
    That would be about 2,634.79 today. So no they didn't hold their value, but they look cool.

Boolit Grand Master
    They had gotten up well over $1000 by the time the original company closed... they kept raising the prices to slow sales, but people kept buying them! For many old school reloaders, the attitude was that there were Star presses, and then there was everything else. No further explanation was necessary or even possible. If I were shooting my K-38 the way I used to, the Star Progressive I bought and set up would be getting used a bunch... and when I get a round tuit, it will get used a bunch! My Star has class and patience.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Man
    Here is a price list from 1993.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast