RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: 42 Pounds From the Tire Shop Today

Boolit Buddy

42 Pounds From the Tire Shop Today

I had to go to the tire shop today to get a tire taken off of one wheel and put on another.
    This is the same tire shop that I picked up two five gallon buckets from a couple months ago.
    I was talking to one of the employees and asked if they had any wheel weights they wanted to get rid of. He said they had several buckets of it, but said he had to ask his boss if I could have it. When he came back he said they only had like a third of a bucket. Someone else had came and got the buckets of wheel weights.
    He loaded it into my jeep for me while I waited on my tire to get done. I weighed it and came up with 42 pounds.

Boolit Grand Master

Every little bit helps. A lot of smaller scores are easier to deal with than large scores. Large scores will build your stash quicker but Big Scores=Big Work!
    And we all have stories about the one that got away!

Boolit Buddy
    There are a bunch of tire shops around here. I need to make a day out of it tomorrow and stop by all of them.

Boolit Grand Master

Good Luck on your wheel weight hunt! Remember, we like pictures!!!

Boolit Master
    What's not to like? that's 42 lbs you didn't have before. Congrats!

Boolit Master
    More lead is a good thing.

No lead WW out here on the left coast, nonetheless somebody kindly left me some at my club: a box of brand new stick on WW. Like CastingFool said, what's not to like?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    More lead is a good thing.

No lead WW out here on the left coast, nonetheless somebody kindly left me some at my club: a box of brand new stick on WW. Like CastingFool said, what's not to like?
    Where are you? Here in Nevada some shops still use lead wheel weights.
    If you aren't too far from Nevada you could call some shops and ask if they have any.

Boolit Master
    I live in the Bay Area. Thanks for the suggestion, but fortunately I have another regular source of lead. I have to pay, but at least it means the lack of lead WW hasn't hit me hard.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up 20 pounds of range scrap today in an hour at the local range.
    I need to get a better sifter. I was using a cheap plastic pasta strainer today.
    There is literally tons of lead in the pistol bays at the range. The range has been there for decades and people are always shooting there.

Boolit Master
    When I mined my clubs berms (with permission and with the proviso that I'd repair the mined areas) I built a sifter out of 2x4 and 1/4" hardware cloth. Worked pretty well on our sand faced berms, but it was hard on the back, and I'm thinking the oxidized lead contaminating the dust I raised during the sifting was a big contributor to my having elevated blood levels.

Boolit Master
    I managed to pick up 68 lbs of raw wheelweights from a mechanic, for $64. I will be interesting to find out the total weight of lead after sorting out the Fe and Zn. BTW, along with the ww's, I got a "free" oil change, lol.