Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coonan 357 magnum

Boolit Master

Coonan 357 magnum

Coonan 357 1911

Maybe I've been out of the loop a little but this gun amazes me that it can shoot wheelgun rounds in it! Think the only other pistol manufacturer that chambers 357 mag is Magnum Research (Desert Eagle)? Correct me if I'm wrong. Looking into buying one and was wondering if the "con's" outweighed the "pro's". Tried to find another discussion about this-if there is please point me to it.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    I would like to help ya out, but unfortunately, other than I think they are made here in MN, I do not know a lot about them. I would be interested as well in hearing(reading) about them here from those that have one or used to have one.

One other thing I should mention is that I would sure love to own one, but it is highly unlikely that I will ever do so...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Just found out one of the "con's" is that they start at 1500.00+ ! (One day)

Boolit Master

you have definately been out of the loop, theyve been around a few decades now. expensive though.

Groo here
    I have a compact [4in]
    Other than a bigger grip [for the longer case]
    you can treat it like a 1911.
    They are tight, good triggers accurate BUT you MUST use full powder loads [ standard has a lighter spring for 38+p but needs broken in first]
    Not for the new shooter [they say so] but not as bad as you might think]
    The closed breach adds a fair amount to the speed of the load and the fire rings [yes it does] are impressive...
    Much more the thing than a DE [ same size as a 1911 about] and can take cast.
    Negative is ,,, Much Wampum......

Boolit Master
    I want one. One day!

Boolit Master

I shot a full size and a midsize at my local range. A guy had both of them. They are fire breathers. Felt like my teeth were getting loosened when I shot it. It was fun
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

This will get you a bunch of you tube videos about the Coonan.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=coonan+357

From everything I can see about that pistol, I will stick with my 686.

Boolit Master
    I have the coonan classic, it shoots fantastic. My favorite range toy of all. Took me 2 years to save tbe money for it. Worth every penny.

Boolit Master
    I had two of them back when Dan Coonan was actually the owner of the company and producing the guns. I don't know how the new owners' (not so new anymore) quality is, but the originals were great. You do not have to shoot full power loads out of them. You simply have to match the spring to the load like any 1911 type gun....same springs actually. I shot one in Team Challenge Matches for two seasons until I realized you didn't need that much power to knock the plates over. Both of mine were compensated. The second one I had would shoot an inch for five shots at 35 yards on a pretty regular basis. I would almost always run the precision event with that gun. Once I wised up, I got a Les Behr in 38Super and life got a lot less loud and abusive. FWIW, I also shot a couple of deer with them. As stated, not cheap. Still, not as expensive as the Briley/Behr 38Super.

The word in the firearms community was that Coonan has gone tits-up. Lots of discussion of this on the 1911Forum. Unless someone has done some CPR on the Company since May this year, I wouldn't be to hopeful about their return to solvency. This doesn't do me any good as I own one.

Edit add, I was trying to post a pic of my Coonan Classic stainless but its not working at the moment....
    Last edited by Cougar Hunter; 09-24-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    Their website has gone defunct and has had the same warning about how they're not going out of business for about the last year...

I've been interested in one for awhile, but between the cost of the gun and the prospect of loosing large quantities of .357 brass in an auto-loader has always kept me away. My LGS was contacted about becoming a supplier a few years ago and they met with sales rep who supposedly couldn't get the guns to function for more than 1 or 2 magazines without a malfunction.

Boolit Master

Howd't stack rimmed ammo on a straight mag?
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Coonan Classic stainless 357

I was able to add a pic:
    This should explain the magazine question....
    I really like the pistol. I had issues with the slide cracking early on, but sent the slide back and Coonan replaced it under warranty. From what I've read on the net, Coonan slides cracking isn't un heard of. They seem to crack in the same spot. Mine has been ok since.

Attachment 248798

Boolit Master
    Mine runs flawlessly. And as far as the rimmed case in a stack magazine, isn't a 22lr a rimmed case? They have been using them in magazines for a very long time. The 357 is just bigger!

Boolit Master

I shot one way back in the Day.
    Miculek is right it really twists to the left, a Lot more then a std 1911. And the mag restricts you to a short overall cartridge length. If you were to shoot cast, it would have to be a short TC or RF.

And since Coonan is belly up ? No warranty...

If you can still find one. And the Mags are proprietary too.

I HATE THIS TABLET.
    Last edited by Walks; 09-24-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Mine shoots cast just fine. As long as it's within max oal, its not an issue. I use the lee 158gr round nose at the same goal as all my other 357's shoot.

Boolit Master

>>psweigle<<
    Probably gonna do what you did and save up for one, just really “fancy’s my interest” and not too hard on my eyes. So we got revolvers, crack barrels, lever action and semi-auto 357 mag. guns. Just seems like an extremely versatile cartridge. Thanks for all the reviews!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter kokalis wrote it up in Shotgun News a few years ago and he had nothing but praise for it. And that man knows guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have both the 5" and 4". I have to admit I'm much better with the 357 mag cartridge in a revolver. I have to really watch how I press the trigger on the Coonan or I start to pull my shots. I have only had the compact out once. It wouldn't lock open after the last round fired after a few mags through her. The slide was not properly hardened and the slide stop notch had rounded over. I sent it back and they replaced the slide but i haven't shot it since. Buy the way the compact model will toss empties a country mile!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast