RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stressing a bit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    You are making my decision a bit easier. Got my son to agree to take a day or two from work and come out here and take me in for surgery and pick me up from the hospital the next day. I live alone and am planning it so my girlfriend would be out the afternoon my son leaves and she would stay overnight. Sounds like you have no real limitations. Glad you are doing so well.
    Ron
    I suggest that you not be without assistance for the first 3-4 days. I have done really well but, last night(Friday), I took my first shower post op. There were no real issues of getting undressed, but getting completely dried off and getting re-dressed was a challenge and required some minor help from the wife. I completely lack flexibility even more so than prior to the surgery because of the soreness and inflammation from the surgery. Walking has been great, up and down the stairs no problem, but drop something on the floor, and I need help retrieving it. Sometimes if I sit a bit too long my muscles will get tight, and I may need a bit of a hand to balance me when standing. I feel great, better than I have in a very long time, but I still have a ways to go before I am doing backflips. Heh, who am I kidding, I could never do a backflip.

In all honesty I really don’t have a lot of limitations other than the soreness from the surgery, and the no lifting anything over 10 lbs for the next month. I really don’t need help except for those rare instances which I mentioned above. I’m 49, and I am sure that age will always play a part in any recovery. 20 years ago, two days after knee surgery I jumped out of a plane just so I wouldn’t loose my jump status. Today I wouldn’t even consider it. Older and wiser I would like to think. You should do well if they only have one are two areas of concern, and it is not going to be a total fusion. The few things I have been mildly struggling with, keep getting easier every day and will soon be no trouble. I fully believe Walking is the key I have already walked miles inside my house. In the last couple hours I have walked almost 2 miles. The more I walk the less sore I am.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

Joe I am getting ready to hit the sack for today. but I wanted to check on for the purpose of seeing how you are doing. From what I see you are doing fantastic. I can see from your posts that your attitude is great. I believe that is a tremendous help in your healing progress. To put it mildly, I am elated to see that you are making it so good. You have already been an encouragement to a couple of guys. I expect there will be many more too. Oh yes I agree that jumping out of an airplane is not a good idea. .
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    I suggest that you not be without assistance for the first 3-4 days. I have done really well but, last night(Friday), I took my first shower post op. There were no real issues of getting undressed, but getting completely dried off and getting re-dressed was a challenge and required some minor help from the wife. I completely lack flexibility even more so than prior to the surgery because of the soreness and inflammation from the surgery. Walking has been great, up and down the stairs no problem, but drop something on the floor, and I need help retrieving it. Sometimes if I sit a bit too long my muscles will get tight, and I may need a bit of a hand to balance me when standing. I feel great, better than I have in a very long time, but I still have a ways to go before I am doing backflips. Heh, who am I kidding, I could never do a backflip.

In all honesty I really don’t have a lot of limitations other than the soreness from the surgery, and the no lifting anything over 10 lbs for the next month. I really don’t need help except for those rare instances which I mentioned above. I’m 49, and I am sure that age will always play a part in any recovery. 20 years ago, two days after knee surgery I jumped out of a plane just so I wouldn’t loose my jump status. Today I wouldn’t even consider it. Older and wiser I would like to think. You should do well if they only have one are two areas of concern, and it is not going to be a total fusion. The few things I have been mildly struggling with, keep getting easier every day and will soon be no trouble. I fully believe Walking is the key I have already walked miles inside my house. In the last couple hours I have walked almost 2 miles. The more I walk the less sore I am.
    Thrilled to hear you are doing so well. I had back surgery last December for a much more minor condition and it took several months to feel better. Now I'm still learning how my "new back" feels and takes daily life stresses. All the old tricks I used or over a decade to mitigate pain or prevent strain don't all work, or work as well as they did. It's annoying to have to learn new tricks and techniques, but it;s still much better than it was with severe sciatica.

A word of caution if I may: I strongly suggest you make a self-pledge to maintain the 10 pound limit MUCH longer than a month. I'm 9 months out of surgery and must limit to 35 pounds, which is less than I could heft before even with sciatica (and my bag of tricks and techniques, OK and pills too).

One bad lift (too heavy, too overextended, imbalanced and tipped, etc.) can set you back weeks in recovery. It's hard to limit oneself, but worth it in the end.

Regardless, VERY happy to hear you've obtained some relief and some enjoyment with family and being outdoors.

Bulldogger

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for updating Boerrancher and comment Bulldogger. I really struggle to lift heavy things but manage. The ten pound limit for an extended period could be something to think about. Even dog food bags weigh more than that. Might have to get things a lil more straightened out here before I have the surgery.

Boolit Grand Master

I am following this thread, Joe. I'm looking at surgery for L4/L5 'severe central stenosis' and a couple of disks gone. So far, and God willing, wearing a back brace and limiting what I do is working. I'm avoiding surgery as long as possible, and especially as long as I can continue to work. Since I work sitting down and all the heavy lifting is mental that may go on for a while.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Checking back on this thread, very encouraging, and praying for all, with bad backs.

Boolit Master

Coming up on 3 weeks post surgery. I still have a bit of muscle soreness around the surgery site, but other than that I am still pain free. I am still watching what I lift in keeping with the 10 lb restrictions, but I am walking a great deal and enjoying the fall outdoors. I’ve also been able to enjoy shooting again. It really sucks to have multiple ranges literally in ones own back yard from 25 yds to 1003yds and not be able to enjoy them. All spring and summer I had to just look at my guns and ranges. Yesterday my oldest boy and I got some quality range time in and are looking forward to fall youth Firearms deer season. This is his last youth season. At age 16 you are no longer allowed to hunt until regular season. It has been a fun 8 years watching him hone his skills, and be successful every year. I was worried I would miss it this year but that no longer seems to be the case. I highly recommend to anyone suffering with back problems that keep them from enjoying life, do some research, find the best Doctor and facilities you can and at least have a consultation. For me it has been life changing. I don’t have the pain I had 10 years ago, because they were able to fix what they couldn’t fix back then.

Thank you all and best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

Good to hear you are on the mend and looking forward to life again. Have fun with your son.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Well here it is 10-14-2019 and I just found this post! Read every page and prayed along for each of you guys with back problems and now we just need to give God Praise and Adoration and pray for Mr Wolf and everyone else that are waiting for surgeries that they are successful. This is a super outcome for Boerrancher and blessings to him and his family...

Boolit Grand Master

So glad to hear that you are doing well. But, not only honor that 10# weight restriction but watch out about over extending and any quick bumb, step, jolt, ect. Walking is probable your best exercise to recover from back sugary with.

Moderator Emeritus

Joe glad you are doing so well. Been thinking about early December for mine. I moved it back some after reading your comments. I need to make sure some things are done before the operation. Thanks again for sharing your experience.
    Ron

Boolit Master

Wow!! All good news BR, so glad things went fantastic for you, it's about time you were able to catch a break. Get back to Knapping those fabulous points.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234