Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Benjamin Discovery Rifle

Boolit Buddy

Benjamin Discovery Rifle

I have been on the fence about getting this rifle. one question I have, is when I get it pump up can it be stored that way for a couple of days. thanks rrh

Boolit Master

Absolutely & as a matter of fact! You SHOULD store it pressurized!

It’s my favorite pcp.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Moderator Emeritus

redriverhunter -- The Benjamin Discovery appears to be a great PCP rifle -- hopefully, a great choice for you! PCP firearms SHOULD be left filled up for storage. My "need" for one was fulfilled when an Air Arms S200 (factory refurb/return) came up at Pyramid Air, and to say I've been more than pleased with my selection would be an understatement. The AA may be filled to 2.7K, albeit I don't go above 2.5K, from which I get about forty-five great shots, before point of aim and velocity start to suffer. The AA has a lower advertised muzzle velocity than the Benjamin -- 800fps versus Benjamin's 900fps. An advantage to the Benjamin is it MAY be converted to CO2 use -- I can tell you pumping a hand pump (I have a Hill) quickly stops being fun . One of the main attractions for me was the available and readily switched air tanks for the AA -- In the field/hunting I generally go out with the attached tank filled, and a spare in my pack.
    BEST wishes -- either's a great air rifle! I reckoned I'd offer my experience with the Czechoslovakian (Brno) made AA, in case you'd wish to take a gander at it.
    geo

Boolit Master

My Marauder stays pressured all the time, so handy for making a quick shot.
    Unlike C-02, always empty unless just filled.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

I store my Benjamin with 2 pumps.
    A few days before I went overseas for a year, I pumped it twice, fired it, the pumped it 2 times again.

When I got back, I cocked the bolt and fired it,
    Pumped it twice, fired it again, all shots sounded the same.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-23-2019 at 08:06 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Yup Pneumatics too should be stored with a few pumps in them.

Cw

Boolit Master

What about break barrels? Should they be cocked and set aside for storage?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    What about break barrels? Should they be cocked and set aside for storage?
    Sparky45 -- Most all shooters I know, with break barrels, store them NOT cocked, but with the barrel barely broken so the breech seal isn't compressed while in storage. Said seal is and should be slightly rounded in looks -- when it gets "flat" it is a sign it's (quite an easy task for most) due for replacement.
    geo

Boolit Master

I agree with George

NO do not store springers cocked. Further to that fact even hunting with them all day for instance will often show a decrease if power from leaving cocked all day. (But generally come “back”. NITRO, guns are different.

The reason to leave charges is for seals. The reason springers DONT is because it fatigues the spring.

GTA website has a wealth of information on non firearms.

CW

Boolit Bub
    The pressure keeps out condensation.
    I'M FROM THE GOVERNMENT....I'M HERE TO HELP!!

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    I like my 22cal discovery rifle used to shoot it a lot, it's loud enough that the neighbors will complain. This is the reason I dont shoot it anymore.
    There are also a lot of mods and after market parts for the discovery which is nice.

Mine has:
    Anti hammer bounce device / power adjuster
    Improved valve flow
    The bolt nose has been removed and replaced with a drill bit.
    Anti bolt handle flip device
    Double barrel bands
    Enlarged transfer port in barrel
    1/4 tubing transfer port
    Upgraded o-rings

Boolit Master

Ramson222

Search TKO22. Or LDC. LEAD DUST COLLECTOR

Tamed my disco right down

CW

Moderator Emeritus

Ramson222 -- "Moderators" are legal to have on airguns. A fellow at range has one on his air rifle, complemented with a "de-pinger, and it is scary-quiet. If you have interest in a moderator so neighbors may no longer hear it -- as well as a few other "mods" -- check out Hill Air, https://hillairgun.com .
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I store my Discovery at around 1200 psi. I believe that is what the manufacturer recommends.
    It has keep that pressure for about a year.

Boolit Master
    IIRC the only airgun suppressors that are not legal everywhere are the detachable metal tube ones over. Those might be removed and adapted to a firearm.
    The synthetic tubed versions aren't strong enough to withstand fire arms muzzle blast, or so its said.
    Fact is PVC tubing has been used on rifles up to .308 so I would not doubt that even the carbon fiber suppressors could be adapted for limited use with a bit of work.

The suppressors that are an integral part of the barrel seem to be legal everywhere.
    I have heard of some cutting away the suppressed section of barrel hoping to improve accuracy. I think if one did the removed section might be illegal to own.

Boolit Master

Welcome to Cast Boolits Melverick.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Melverick View Post
    I just recently bought a Benjamin Discovery Rifle and Pump and what I can say is it has nice quality and lightweight. Fairly accurate for a low end rifle. Easy to use but the hand pump takes some work. You only get 16-18 useable shots per fill.
    Congrats on your Discovery -- fine air rifle! When I purchased my 1st PCP, I also went for a pump. The sales person advised the Hill over Benjamin, but, they are both good pumps. I was told that there are three chambers in these, and the air moving from #2 to #3 is really kind of slow. Hence, salesman advised at BOTH ends of stroke -- the very top as well as the bottom -- to pause/hold the handle there for a bit of time. He suggested preceding the word, "Mississippi" with the stroke number -- e.g., one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi.... until you attain desired pressure. While it is admittedly a work-out from zero pounds -- an MT cylinder -- I generally "use" roughly 1,000 psi from my max fill pressure to refill, with my generally getting ~35 usable shots. Try the pause at each stroke end... it surely helped in my pumping.
    BEST!
    geo

Easy to use but the hand pump takes some work.

Moderator Emeritus

jmorris -- your "autodrive" is a zillion times better made as well as better looking than what I had put together -- mine using a Hill pump for an AA T200 air rifle. The "problem" I had with mine is my motor was way too fast r.p.m.. I used a 26" bicycle with a 3-speed Sturmey-Archer shifter, turning the pedal-shaft replaced with a large washing-machine pulley driven by the 1725 rpm motor's 1 1/2" pulley's belt. A bolt through the wheel rim had a steel U-piece which held the pump handle -- kind of similar to your driver. The 2nd major challenge -- 1st was the space it took and time to set-up plus monitoring! -- was that, at least for the Hill pump, a pause is really necessary at both the top and bottom of each stroke to make the pump work efficiently, which was not afforded by my attempt. Annd, my pump got rather warm. Congrats and kudos on yours!
    geo

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F449C7E8-DDF6-47B2-B7B6-9CC069B32790.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	254889

I got sick of hand pumping. Kept my Hill MKIII though.
    I’m glad I found this forum. The serious AG forums are airgun only. This allows bows, religion, casting/swaging; main reason I joined. To learn how to cast slugs to perfection for my airgun slug shooters.