RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Best cast boolit mold for SKS?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Best cast boolit mold for SKS?

After doing some reading I’m leaning towards the lee 150 grain mold. I will be PCing them. I see the tumble lube 160 grain as well but figured if I PC’d too thick it might fill in the tumble grooves? I’ve always thought the deeper lube groove boolits have more room for the lead to go somewhere when sliding through the rifling when fired giving better accuracy. Any lighter options out there...and will they give better or worse accuracy? Do I need to GC them if I PC? Any non GC options if so? Big accuracy difference between GC vs non GC in an SKS? Anyone make a HP mold?

I haven't slugged my bore yet and will get around to it by the end of the week. It’s a 66’ Norinco. I would assume i will need a lee .314 lube and sizing die after I check it.

Also do I need to crimp my rounds? I do have a lee factory crimp collet die given to me by another member so I’m covered if needed to do so.

Also if I plan on hunting with the lee I would assume a pointed cast boolit is not a good idea.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-22-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Boolit Master

I don't load for the 7.62x39, but if I were a betting man: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...tkro0ods1npol3

This is the NOE/Ranch Dog tumble luber, which Ranch Dog drew up specifically for that cartridge (He's a big Mini-30 hunter, as I recall). I have been exceedingly happy with it's big brother for the .308 Win running north of 2000 fps.

To your other questions:

1. I would not sweat filling the TL grooves with PC. What's the worst that can happen - your bullet thinks it's jacketed?

2. I would absolutely go gas check installed pre-P.C. for full-speed 7.62x39, use harder, water-quenched alloys, a big meplat (like the Ranch Dog), and not sweat hollow points. Make sure your bases cut off clean and your checks go on straight, and they'll be an asset to the accuracy your gun is capable of.

3. I'm fairly new to the Lee FCD, but I am liking them a lot. They do a great job of taking your pre-seating flare out of the case mouth - definitely an asset for reliable feed.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Dont worry about filling the lube grooves. Lead flows under pressure. If there was lube in the groove then the lead would flow around it. Most often the bullet elongates. If there was no lube in the grooves then it might compress and fillin the grooves.

Just PC and shoot em. Dont over think it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~