WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Fall Squash Casserole with Sweet Potato and Fennel

Vendor Sponsor

Fall Squash Casserole with Sweet Potato and Fennel

You know when summer ends and the leaves just begin to fall, and that first smell of a wood fire in the fireplace, that it's the fall season right at our doorstep.

Nothing puts the aroma and flavors of fall in the kitchen like Squash Casserole or Stuffed Squash, this is my take on it, the recipe was for stuffed squash in the beginning but over time it evolved into a baked dish without stuffing the individual squash. You can use whatever kind of fall squash you want to.

Fall Squash Casserole with Sweet Potato and Fennel

Ingredients:
    3C Cooked Fall Squash (Butternut, Acorn, your choice)
    1/2 Sweet Potato (cooked, peeled, cubed)
    1lb Uncooked Italian Sausage (mild, sweet, hot your choice)
    1box Cornbread Stuffing Mix
    1 1/2C Chicken Stock
    1 8oz. Can Sliced Mushrooms (drained)
    1 8.75oz. Can Sweet Corn (drained)
    1/2 Medium Yellow Onion chopped
    1/2 Red Bell Pepper chopped
    3 Large Cloves Garlic chopped
    1/2C Toasted Pine Nuts
    1Tbsp Fennel Seed (crushed in pepper grinder)
    1 1/2tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes

Directions:
    Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds and string, dab with olive oil and salt, bake at 375F until tender with fork. Let cool and scoop out pulp, set aside.

Cook sweet potato until just fork tender, slice, peel, and cut into 1/2” cubes

Saute onions and bell pepper until softened, add fennel, corn, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for another 10mins, set aside.

In a large bowl mix together Italian sausage and cornbread stuffing mix. Mix in chicken broth until well combined, mix in squash and sweet potato until well combined, sprinkle on crushed red pepper, add in cooked vegetables and pine nuts, mix until well combined.

Scoop into 9” x 13” baking pan, bake at 350F for about 45 – 50 mins or until temp in the middle of the dish reaches at least 165F. (I baked to 200F in 50mins).

I used a very large butternut squash for this, too big a squash for only one pan so I doubled the amount of everything in the ingredients list and made two pans.

This is one SUPER TASTY dish! It NAILS those fall flavors and colors..

Followed up by a bowl of Blue Bell Ice Cream, yep, you guessed it, Pumpkin Spice Pecan flavor! Even more FALL tasting stuff! (I wholly detest the whole "Pumpkin Spice Whatever" craze, but I could not resist the Blue Bell Pumpkin Spice Pecan Ice Cream and it delivered!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-22-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    WOW that sounds delicious

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Pine nuts - that reminds me of Fall in New Mexico.