Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Nice day with my faithful 35 Rem

Nice day with my faithful 35 Rem

Took out my old faithful 35 Rem today she's a model 600 Remington with an 2.5x weaver had three loads first was my mid power load of 16 grs of 2400 and the Lyman 358315 . Almost got that 5 shot one hole group but yanked one out . Next were with 36 and 37 grs of imr 4895 at 36 and 37 grs I normally always used AA 2230 with my full speed hunting loads but I gave the stick powder a go with the Lee 200 gr both shot good enough for deer at the ranges I hunt the 36 gr has the marks next to the holes 37 gr load shot a hair better gonna work up 38-40 grs and see how she likes them I've found the more I push cast the better it does but that was with ball powders .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	248687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1327.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	248688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1330.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	248689
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Very nice indeed! You can almost put that one away and work on something else. At what distance were you shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Very nice indeed! You can almost put that one away and work on something else. At what distance were you shooting?
    50 yds as 75 yds is a long shot where I hunt

Boolit Master
    Very nice set up. I would love to have that

Get some venison in that freezer. How I miss NE Whitetail deer hunting. Formerly a CT Yankee.

We used 35 Remingtons (Marlin 336 and Remington pump)...and the mighty 200 gr Core-Lokt ruled supreme.

That is a very nice gun! I thought that only the Magnum calibers had laminated wood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Impressive indeed!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That is a very nice gun! I thought that only the Magnum calibers had laminated wood.

Your correct a long time ago my dad sent it back to Remington to replace the safety as it discharged once when taking the safety off . The regular stock was cracked intransit back to him so Rem replaced with the lam stock as they had no regular ones in stock the also remove the ventrib he hated with a passion .

What a neat story. I thought I was looking at a Remington model 660 there for a bit. Kmart sold the plain 600 Mohawk version When I was a teenager. one of my brothers bought one in 6 m m and until I bought a Tikka T3, it was the most accurate Sporter weight rifle I had ever fired. thanks for sharing yours with us.

Boolit Grand Master
    Beautiful rifle & a great caliber. Well done.

Thanks . Does anyone have any powderpuff loads using pistol bullets in the 35 Rem ? I've had great luck in various 30 cals regular weight bullets and 6 grs of BE but never tried any in the 35 , looking for something in the 1000-1200 fps range with a 160 gr swc

Boolit Master

I am jealous RU!

Nice classic Remmy you have there!! I used to hunt with a guy I used to work with (Still friends) that used one if those. I have always watched for 600 & 660 Remmys. They dont sell too often round here.

The Turdy five makes a nice bolt gun caliber!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Thanks . Does anyone have any powderpuff loads using pistol bullets in the 35 Rem ? I've had great luck in various 30 cals regular weight bullets and 6 grs of BE but never tried any in the 35 , looking for something in the 1000-1200 fps range with a 160 gr swc
    I haven't in a long time, but used to shoot the 358311 in mine with 8 grains of Red Dot if I recall. It shot plenty well enough for useful practice and was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I am jealous RU!

Nice classic Remmy you have there!! I used to hunt with a guy I used to work with (Still friends) that used one if those. I have always watched for 600 & 660 Remmys. They dont sell too often round here.

The Turdy five makes a nice bolt gun caliber!!

CW
    Thanks I always have an eye out locally for a deal on a 660 with the 20" barrel if I could find one in 308 , I can't even find a Mohawk model anymore

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Sexy looking 660 you have there... or is it a modified 600 with a laminate stock and rib removed? If that baby is an original 600 I’m jealous! The original 600 vented rib guns in 35 Remington are commending prices equivalent to the cost of a second mortgage. I have an all original “vented rib” 600 chambered in 243.

I do have a 35 rem in a 7600 limited run 18.5” carbine and a 100 th anniversary 336. Both shoot sub MOA with jacketed ammo. I have yet to try cast in them.

The design of the stock lends itself to help with quick precision offhand shooting. The designer was an excellent offhand shot and hunted that way. I hit a flushing gobbler in the air with a 600 .222 Remington and I hope I never forget it! Legal in Texas, y’all. I killed quite a few deer with a 600 Mohawk that I had ER Shaw rebarrel to 22-250 24”. It shot better as a 6mm but not by much. Remington bolt guns were my choice for most of my early years. I can’t believe I don’t have a single one nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Sexy looking 660 you have there... or is it a modified 600 with a laminate stock and rib removed? If that baby is an original 600 I’m jealous! The original 600 vented rib guns in 35 Remington are commending prices equivalent to the cost of a second mortgage. I have an all original “vented rib” 600 chambered in 243.

I do have a 35 rem in a 7600 limited run 18.5” carbine and a 100 th anniversary 336. Both shoot sub MOA with jacketed ammo. I have yet to try cast in them.
    It's a 600 in a lam stock with rib removed dad still has the rib and sights in a box somewhere . Dad bought it new in 1964 it's killed a pile of deer since then it's just a perfect rifle for the the type of close in hunting we do

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    It's a 600 in a lam stock with rib removed dad still has the rib and sights in a box somewhere . Dad bought it new in 1964 it's killed a pile of deer since then it's just a perfect rifle for the the type of close in hunting we do
    That guns worth big, big bucks if you put it back to original configuration. Not that you’d ever sell it. The best I’ve done with my 243 is .3” at 100 yards after I bedded it. To be fair I’ve only tried ONE load in it I use in one of my other guns. It’s a 90 grain nosler ballistic tip loaded with H4895 around max or a hair over. I traded a custom turkey call for a ram line stock that’s been painted with sand texture. It shoot just as tight in the poly stock but I like the wood look better. I might have to pawn Off the poly stock. I wanted a stock like yours in the original 600 configuration laminate but they are hard to find. My buddies have three 600 vented rib 308’s and picked one up last year in 243 as well. Love them 600’s! I left my rib and front blade on with an optic for the coolness factor. Never can with a rear sight but I think I bought one years ago and put away. Don’t remember. I installed a leupold 100th anniversary 3x9 optic on it. It had two drop points in it and a gold medallion on the the side of the optic. Figured it would make a great predator walking gun since it’s light weight. Wish I could find a discontinued HS precision stock for it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-28-2019 at 08:05 AM.

FYI folks, you won't be able to work the action in a Marlin 336 to feed well with pistol bullets.

Used to use 11.0gr Unique under a 358311 bullet for the kids. As young teens, my sons (not me) regularly shot 1" groups at 100 yds with it from their Marlin 336's. Velocity was right around 1100 FPS as I recall. No deer is safe from those guys.

About time to dust off that mold as my grandson will receive his new Marlin 35 Rem soon.
    A deplorable that votes!